Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Max Wireless Connections

TLSky
Guide

Max Wireless Connections

I have about 50 wireless devices that I need to connect, most are wireless alarm contacts/cameras/motions. Add about 9 PCs, 4 laptops, some Rokus, and printers. The system occasionally locks up, and I'm wondering if I've exceeded the max number. Nothing in the logs. What can I use to extend the number of devices?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Max Wireless Connections

If you look at the AX access point from netgear, even the essential line will do 128 clients on the 2.4ghz and 128 on the 5ghz. 

I would still spread them out a bit and put some on the c7000 and some on the access point. But it'd give you the option to add more as well as you can seperate out ssid's if you'd like. I've used the WAX218 from the essential line and liked its. Its the top end of that line but it worked well.  If you're looking at replacing the c7000 or just using it as a modem, the Pro orbi is quite stout and you can add satellites for additional coverage if you need it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Add an extender or an Access point?

The router should handle 32 devices per band. so 32 on 2.4ghz and 32 on 5ghz. 

Not saying they'll all have fast speeds but if most of them are IoT devices that don't use a lot of bandwidth, you should be fine. 

If you're having more than that 32 on the 2.4ghz, you'll end up with drops/disconnects. 

If thats the case, you can add an extender or access point and move some of the devices to one of them. Or you can upgrade to a business class router that supports more connected devices. 

Message 2 of 7
TLSky
Guide

Thanks for the response. Any recommendations for a business class router that might support 75 connections on 2.4 Ghz?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you look at the AX access point from netgear, even the essential line will do 128 clients on the 2.4ghz and 128 on the 5ghz. 

I would still spread them out a bit and put some on the c7000 and some on the access point. But it'd give you the option to add more as well as you can seperate out ssid's if you'd like. I've used the WAX218 from the essential line and liked its. Its the top end of that line but it worked well.  If you're looking at replacing the c7000 or just using it as a modem, the Pro orbi is quite stout and you can add satellites for additional coverage if you need it. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

The product datasheets for each device has a spot that shows how many max clients it supports per band
Message 5 of 7
TLSky
Guide

I looked it over -should do nicely. The WAX620 has a larger area coverage and may help cover my whole house. Thanks so much for the help...

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Hope it works well for you!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements