Max number of DHCP reservations?

cspencerjr
Luminary

Max number of DHCP reservations?

Is there a limit to the number of devices that can have DHCP reserved IP's?
Or basically is there a limit to the DHCP reservation list?
Message 1 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Re: Max number of DHCP reservations?

The default settings allow for 253 IP addresses to be assigned.
Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have you actually tried that?

When I last had this router (about 14 months ago) the limit was 64. When I tried to add the 65th, I got an error message that 64 was the maximum supportable number.
Message 3 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood the original question. I thought we were talking about the number of dynamic IP addresses managed by the router's DHCP server, not the number of IP addresses than can be reserved. I don't know what the latter limit is, but I believe you if you say it's 64.

Why would anyone want to reserve that many addresses?
Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In my case, I want my router to have complete control over the assigned IP addresses on my network, even if the device never moves. I have several devices that may need to accept inbound connections or otherwise be statically assigned to serve media or other data.

In order to keep everything organized and know what devices are connected and where, I use strict DHCP reservations, including placeholder reservations for unused space.

The only truly dynamic addresses on my network get assigned only to guest devices.
Message 5 of 12
rpoffen
Virtuoso

If you need more than 64 reservations, then you probably need more than a SOHO router, more like an enterprise level router.
However, you don't have to assign everything through DHCP reservations, you could define a small DHCP region in the router, enough for the guest devices, and all the other devices are set for static IP, then there is no limit except for whatever subnet you specify. It is certainly much more work to keep track of manually and not conveniently centralized.
Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Both Asus and Linksys currently support 128 reservations.

For my purposes, I reserve about 100 addresses and as you noted, it's very convenient to have everything centralized for administrative purposes.

In the end, that's all I use DHCP reservation for - administrative ease. Basically I have a few dozen static IP addresses without having to touch any of the clients and allowing them to be completely portable.
Message 7 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Isn't it a pain to re-enter all those reservations each time you upgrade the firmware?
Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, it is. With the Linksys however, I've never had to nuke my config when upgrading firmware (of course they've only released two in over a year). Much more user-friendly than any of the Netgear's I've owned over the years. No need to start over with your config when you upgrade firmware. Even with the Netgear, how often do you upgrade firmware? Entering that many reservations takes maybe 15 minutes, so it's not really that big of deal.

One reason I really like Asus is because they have 3rd party firmware (RMerlin) that is very close to stock so not as cluttered as DD-WRT or OpenWRT. That firmware supports custom config files, so you can load all reservations via a file. Takes like 5 seconds.
Message 9 of 12
HiSpeed
Luminary

htismaqe wrote:
Yes, it is.

Why don't you use a static IP addressing instead?

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 10 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Because I have 35 or so clients and I don't want to have to touch them if and when I make subtle changes. Entering all of those reservations takes 15-20 minutes maybe once every couple of months. Using static addresses for things like laptops requires constant upkeep if they're overly mobile.
Message 11 of 12
vkoulich
Luminary

@htismaqe wrote:
Both Asus and Linksys currently support 128 reservations.

For my purposes, I reserve about 100 addresses and as you noted, it's very convenient to have everything centralized for administrative purposes.

Which Asus / Linksys models are you referring to? (e.g. the newest Asus RT-AC3200 is handling max 32 reservations - it's in the manual).

I'm considering to buy a R8000 but I can't find any official information about how many DHCP / LAN IP reservations this model is able to manage.

Anyone who knows what this number is for sure? (where is this information published?)

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E