Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Maximum internet connection speed of R7000?

sktn77a
Virtuoso

Maximum internet connection speed of R7000?

Hello there!  I have 5 Netgear R7000 routers (don't ask).  They have given stellar sevice over the last 5 years or so.  I had Spectrum 200down/10up for all this time and never had any issues with download or upload speeds meeting these specs (or very close to).  I recently got google fiber installed and get 900+ up and down when my computer (ASUS Griffon gigabit NIC) connected via ethernet directly to the google fiber jack.  When I insert the R7000 in betwen the jack and the computer, speeds drop to 350-400 up or down.  This is on ALL FIVE of my R7000s.

Is anyone getting WAN or WAN-to-LAN speeds of 900-1000 from their R7000?

Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: Maximum internet connection speed of R7000?

1. what firmware is on them?

2. are you or have you used access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, or qos? If so, factory reset those devices. Test their speeds after a basic install. make sure not to enable those services. 

3. how are you testing? many sites struggle to max out gigabit  connections or pick a poor server to test off. 

Message 2 of 18
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Thanks for the suggestions.  No speed sapping options selected.  Using speed.googlefiber.net, speedtest.net, fast.com, all the same and all give the full speed when the router is out of the curcuit.  I'm using F/W v1.0.9.42 - yes, I know it's an older version but it has features I want and I'm not convinced that "updating to the latest firmware" is going to change anything.   I might just give it a try as I can drop back to the older firmware, it just seems like a waste of time reading all of the relevant posts on this forum.

Are you getting gigabit internet speeds on your setup?

Message 3 of 18
sktn77a
Virtuoso

OK, so I broke down and updated the firmware on one of my routers.  Smiley Frustrated  Speeds are a little better now (600 down, 400 up) but still not the 930 up/down that I get without the router in the circuit.

So, my original question is....  does anybody get gigabit (900+) dow/up speeds with their R7000 router?

Message 4 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] I [...] updated the firmware on one of my routers. [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "updated" today.  And, on an R7000, its own opinion is
worth very little.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2069376#M186506

Message 5 of 18
sktn77a
Virtuoso

"And, on an R7000, its own opinion is worth very little."

Not following you here, bud (?)

Firmware was update from 1.0.9.42 to 1.0.9.88 - the latest version available from the router interface (yes I know there's a more recent on on the support website, but is there a reason the router won't let you update it to this one?  Who know with Netgear!)

Message 6 of 18
antinode
Guru

> Not following you here, bud (?)

Follow the link?

> [...] is there a reason the router won't let you update it to this
> one? [...]

"won't let you"?  How, exactly, does it _stop_ you?

> [...] I know there's a more recent on on the support website [...]

So, ...

>       https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2069376#M186506

Spreading this waste of time across multiple threads might not be the
most efficient approach.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2124240

Message 7 of 18
sktn77a
Virtuoso

"won't let you"?  How, exactly, does it _stop_ you?

It's not an option in the GUI to update beyond 1.0.9.88, so you have to do it manually if you want to go higher.

"Spreading this waste of time across multiple threads might not be the most efficient approach."

It wasn't spread until you asked and "waste of time" is just your opinion.

Tell you what, just don't respond to any more of my posts - we'll both be happier.

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 18
antinode
Guru

> It's not an option in the GUI to update beyond 1.0.9.88, so you have
> to do it manually if you want to go higher.

Does "do it manually" _not_ use "the GUI"?  Would you be pushing the
bits into the router with your fingers?

Message 9 of 18

@sktn77a wrote:

but is there a reason the router won't let you update it to this one?  Who know with Netgear!)

Won't let you or doesn't offer?

Perhaps the new firmware version has yet to hit the update server. The first place to look for new firmware is on the support pages for your device. Then just read the release notes and/or read this?

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The manual also explains that.

Message 10 of 18
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Well, updated to the latest firmware for the R7000 from the support/dowmloads page (ahem..... 1.0.11.126_10.2.112).  No change in speeds.

I've checked the cables (cat 5e, cat 6 and cat 8 - not a cable issue).  Just when I insert the router into the system I get ~600 down, ~400 up.  When I connect directly to the Google fiber jack, I get 900+ both up and down.

I guess the bottleneck is the router.

Message 11 of 18
Kitsap
Master

You have made lots of changes and have not revealed your startup sequence.  In case you have not done this, power down all of the piece parts of your LAN.  By power down, I mean pull the power cord from the wall receptacle.  Also disconnect the interconnecting cables.  Give the piece parts a few minutes to settle and then power them up one at a time in sequence starting from the outside to the inside.  Power up your ONT and give it plenty of time to go through the startup sequence and stabilize. Connect the ethernet to your R7000 and power it on.  Again give it plenty of time to go through the startup sequence and stabilize.  Connect your computer to the R7000 via ethernet and start it up to conduct your speed tests.  Make certain your computer is connecting through the ethernet and not through Wi-Fi.

Sometimes the old settings with a particular configuration have a tendency to stick and not change with a new configuration.  I have two older R7000s at different locations connected to the Comcast 800Mbs plan.  Comcast over provisions at 20% and I routinely get 940Mbs to 950Mbs download.  I use the Ookla stand alone application for testing on Windows 10 machines.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 12 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] Also disconnect the interconnecting cables. [...]

And stand on one leg and scream like a chicken?

> [...] I have two older R7000s [...]

Firmware version(s)?

Heavy on folklore, light on useful information.

Message 13 of 18

@Kitsap wrote:

I have two older R7000s at different locations connected to the Comcast 800Mbs plan.  Comcast over provisions at 20% and I routinely get 940Mbs to 950Mbs download.  I use the Ookla stand alone application for testing on Windows 10 machines.

That's interesting. Seems to confirm that there is nothing physically limiting the speeds that you can get out of the R7000.

@Kitsap wrote:

In case you have not done this, power down all of the piece parts of your LAN.  By power down, I mean pull the power cord from the wall receptacle.  Also disconnect the interconnecting cables.  Give the piece parts a few minutes to settle and then power them up one at a time in sequence starting from the outside to the inside.  Power up your ONT and give it plenty of time to go through the startup sequence and stabilize. Connect the ethernet to your R7000 and power it on.  Again give it plenty of time to go through the startup sequence and stabilize.  Connect your computer to the R7000 via ethernet and start it up to conduct your speed tests.  Make certain your computer is connecting through the ethernet and not through Wi-Fi.

Oh so true. It is always easy to overlook essentials like this.Too many people just swap out one router for another, for example, without going through this sequence and wonder why things don't work.

Netgear makes it  obvious that there is a correct set-up sequence in its documentation, especially the quick start guides, but people often forget that this also applies when playing around with a network.

In the past, pointing this out here has rescued many a recalcitrant network. It is one of those basic "try this first" moves.

Here's another way of putting it:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

The 2-minute timing is approximate. The important point, as @Kitsap says, is to give devices time to establish a connection and set themselves up accordingly. Sometimes it is simply a case of keeping an eye on the LEDs on a modem and router. Wait for them to settle down.

If anyone wonders about this "unplug" advice, here's the wording from just one of the Netgear documents:

"Unplug your modem, remove and replace the backup battery if it uses one, and then plug the modem back in."

Message 14 of 18
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Thanks all.  Yes, did the power down/power up sequence.  No change.  Kitsap, what firmware are you using?  I updated mine to the latest on the Netgear website (1.0.11.126_10.2.112 - see above).  I wonder if the issue is that some ISP setting requirements vary and work with some routers/settings better than others?

Message 15 of 18
Kitsap
Master

@sktn77a wrote:

Thanks all.  Yes, did the power down/power up sequence.  No change.  Kitsap, what firmware are you using?  I updated mine to the latest on the Netgear website (1.0.11.126_10.2.112 - see above).  I wonder if the issue is that some ISP setting requirements vary and work with some routers/settings better than others?

Firmware version 1.0.11.100_10.2.100 on both routers.  Flashed shortly after the first of the year and both are running smoothly.  Routers are in different residences and are connected to Arris TG3482G gateways (Comcast XB6-A).  There could be differences with the connection between the router and various gateway/modem devices.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 16 of 18

@sktn77a wrote:

I wonder if the issue is that some ISP setting requirements vary and work with some routers/settings better than others?

I have seen examples of that before. Certainly ISP settings. For example, some of the NBN ISPs seem to go their own sweet way.

The ISP is best placed to help on that front. If it has its own user community, try there.

Message 17 of 18
CascadeSkier
Aspirant

I had the same concern with my 3 year old R7000 Nighthawk that runs my 1000 Mbps home network that I hardwired 15 years ago with category 5e 8 pin 8 connector wire. By following the advice on this thread, I saw marked improvement. Once I replaced ONE cable feeding a Linksys SE3016 10/100/1000 Mbps switch, my hardwired devices (TV streaming and Zoom) no longer buffers and my cell phone now connects to the R7000 at 866 Mbps. My internet connection is a $70/month Comcast Xfinity Performance Pro+ RG6 via a coaxial able that connects to a DOC SYS 3.1 modem. The Xfinity connection is sold as "up to 200 Mbps". Here in Seattle, Comcast overprovisions by 20% -- and now my computers run at 240 up and 6 down. So I am smiling again. 

Best wishes to everyone.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7