Re: Mesh not working with nest cams

alebeard
Aspirant

Mesh not working with nest cams

Wanted to cams and music in areas with weak signal, it seems the nest cams see the mesh as a differing network and just stop working. At the point of junking the extender and going for google, any fixes anyone knows if before that though?

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're having an issue with the mesh (one ssid) aspect of this extender, try actually setting it up with a seperate ssid that the nest camera's and music connect to. Usually these devices aren't moving so you won't constantly need to change networks (roaming) with them. Also set your devices with a static ip address. You could also make the next camera's forget the old ssid so they aren't trying to connect back to them. 

Just some options for you to try. 

What router are you using? firmware on it?

What firmware is on the EX6250?

Here's the support page for the EX6250. it has firmware, manuals, troubleshooting. These can be helpful. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6250

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 8
alebeard
Aspirant

Truth is I bought it as it was supposed to be pretty much setup and it should create a mesh, instead, it really does not, pretty much think it is going in the trash at  this point, if I have to fight to get it to work as advertised, the company is not the one I want to depend on

Message 3 of 8
alebeard
Aspirant

Truth is I bought it as it was supposed to be pretty much setup and it should create a mesh, instead, it really does not, pretty much think it is going in the trash at  this point, if I have to fight to get it to work as advertised, the company is not the one I want to depend on

Message 4 of 8
myersw
Master

@alebeard wrote:

I agree with, you. Netgear is not one to depend on. If you want a good mesh get a Eero. They just work according to friends that I trust.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

the problem with most routers/extenders/mesh networks these days is they do require fine tuning to make work their best. The world is filled with wireless signals and if you don't optimize you're area, you're going to have problems. Plus you're trying to get everything to interoperate (nest, sonos, etc) and some devices don't play nice with mesh/smart connect functions. You're more than welcome to buy something new and consider this product garbage. Or you can play a little and see what makes it work properly. That way if you do decide to go another route, if it doesn't work, you'll know how to get it working. 

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

I agree with, you. Netgear is not one to depend on. If you want a good mesh get a Eero. They just work according to friends that I trust.  

@myersw I've used Eero, TP-Link, Orbi, and Tenda mesh networks. They all started a bit flaky. My current go to is Orbi and Tp-Link for mesh networks in terms of stability and performance. 

Message 7 of 8
myersw
Master

@plemans wrote:

@myersw I've used Eero, TP-Link, Orbi, and Tenda mesh networks. They all started a bit flaky. My current go to is Orbi and Tp-Link for mesh networks in terms of stability and performance. 

Thanks for the update. Helps others to have this info. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements