Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mobile devices slow on Nighthawk R7900

bigw3260
Star

Mobile devices slow on Nighthawk R7900

I noticed that all smart phone users in my household are experiencing what appears to be very slow wireless internet speeds. When an app is opened such as Instagram it takes some time for pictures and or videos to load even though my internets speeds are 180Mbps down. All users experience the same thing. If you open the "Speed test" app on one of the smartphones it takes 1 minute for it to "find the server" before showing the "begin test" button. The crazy thing is when you run the test the download speed tests fine. If I turn wifi off on the smartphone and use the 4G and run the same app. It takes 3 seconds for the "Begin test" button to show. I am not running QOS because I have confirmed that it is broken for 5Ghz with the current firmware. 

Anyone else having this issue? I have tried completely reseting the router and reinstalling the latest firmware with no results. I have also tried different DNS providers with no effect as well. It also does not seem to effect my laptop.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
bigw3260
Star

No OS update did not forget the network settings. I had rebooted the phones as well as the router and that did nothing. My youngest son has the same phone as I do and we did tests with his phone on his wifi network which is a Xfinity router and he had none of the issues we had until he came over to my house then his would have same problem.

I think there was something that Samsung and Netgear where banging heads in the wifi and the OS update changed what ever that was. 

Oh Well it is working now!! Smiley Very Happy

So will not worry about it until Netgear comes out with new firmware and it breaks it. HA HA

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies

@bigw3260 wrote:

I noticed that all smart phone users in my household are experiencing what appears to be very slow wireless internet speeds.

How slow? Unfortunately, "appears to be" isn't really a scientific measurement.

Remember, wifi will always be slower than wired. Nothing will do 180Mbps over wifi. That's physics. And it takes two to wifi, the client has to be up to scratch, not just the router.

There are some things you can try to squeeze more out of your wifi, like trying different bands and ensuring that your wifi devices have the latest software.

Then again, you say that "when you run the test the download speed tests fine" which means that the "pause" you see almost certainly has nothing to do with your router. It is your wifi client doing things on the Internet. You confirmed this when you said that the 4G phone does the same thing. And the laptop behaves properly. (Is it wired?)

In other words, you don't seem to have a problem.

Message 2 of 9
bigw3260
Star

Typo on my part. 4G has no delay and works flawlessly. Android smart phones where tested on another wireless network and did not have same issue. As far as the "appears" there is up to a 1 minute delay before loading starts on the apps.

Message 3 of 9

That's a different story.The extra information does bring it back to the Netgear stuff, especially when the wifi devices behave on the road.

Have you tried messing around with wifi bands?

Is the laptop wifi?

Message 4 of 9
bigw3260
Star

Yes, Lap top is wifi and works fine. I have changed the channels, and tried both bands with results the same. Even tried different DNS provider with no change.

Interesting development.... My Samsung S7 just updated today to Android Nouget OS. Tests so far seem to indicate that it has resolved the problem on my phone. My other family members are not home so will have to see if they got an update as well. Crazy thing is like I said my phone did not have the issue with the older OS on any other wifi locations other than mine with the Netgear. I am wondering what was not playing nice between the Netgear an Android since new OS seems to have solved issue at least on my phone.

Message 5 of 9

Could it be that you needed to tell the smartphones to forget all about the Netgear wifi and start from scratch?

Or was it simply a case of the smartphone rebooting for the first time in ages?

You rebooted and reset the router, but did you reboot the clients?

The fact that the laptop wifi works fine does bring it back to the Samsung's as the likely cause rather than anything Netgear.

I'm sure you aren't one of those people who thinks that these computer thingies are logical and obey the laws of physics. We all know that there has to be an application of pixie dust somewhere in the system

Message 6 of 9
bigw3260
Star

No OS update did not forget the network settings. I had rebooted the phones as well as the router and that did nothing. My youngest son has the same phone as I do and we did tests with his phone on his wifi network which is a Xfinity router and he had none of the issues we had until he came over to my house then his would have same problem.

I think there was something that Samsung and Netgear where banging heads in the wifi and the OS update changed what ever that was. 

Oh Well it is working now!! Smiley Very Happy

So will not worry about it until Netgear comes out with new firmware and it breaks it. HA HA

Message 7 of 9

@bigw3260 wrote:

Jokes like that are in bad taste! Harrumph.

Message 8 of 9
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

Nice, glad to hear it is working again for you. Upgrading the firmware is always a good thing and improves the performance. If there ends up being a problem I'll just revert back to the previous firmware and wait a few days for them to fix it. Some people never upgrade their firmware.

I have the Nighthawk R7000 and will always upgrade the firmware on it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7