Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Model R7800 and a aftermarket directional antenna.

seeaeareell
Tutor

Model R7800 and a aftermarket directional antenna.

I have a 2.4Ghz directional antenna on my house going to another building. Right now it's attached to an AP set to bridge mode going to another AP. Can I connect the antenna directly to the R7800 router, Thus bypassing to old AP? If so, does it matter what antenna on the router to use? Also the sales person recommended using a AC1900 range extender at the other building instead of the old AP, so I bought one. Does it matter what antenna I attach the second buildings directional antenna to? If any of this will work at all, got any setup advice?? Thanks in advance.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
seeaeareell
Tutor

Ok, I pretty well got this figured out. I tried one antenna at a time to see if any were 2.4ghz specifically. The left most seems to be 2.4, the next one seemed to do 2.4 and 5ghz, the third was 2.4, and the last did nothing. So I just removed the 3rd antenna and hooked up my directional one. At the other building I tried each of the antennas on the network extender to see if one was better. It turns out the left most, or bottom depending on your orientation, had the strongest signal.

In the end I have 2.4 and 5ghz in building 1 and 2.4ghz beaming Internet to building 2. Building 2 also has 2.4 and 5ghz signal, but of course it will only be as fast as the 2.4ghz signal going to the extender.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
seeaeareell
Tutor

Is this post in the correct spot? Does anyone have any ideas where to find this info? I have searched the internets best I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi seeaeareell,

Directional antenna is not applicable for home routers of NETGEAR. You may external antennas for business type of routers.

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi seeaeareell,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 4 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

You mention 2.4GHz antenna. R7800 is dual band router. Are you going to turn off 5GHz radio? Because 2.4GHz antenna won't work on 5GHz.

Message 5 of 6
seeaeareell
Tutor

Ok, I pretty well got this figured out. I tried one antenna at a time to see if any were 2.4ghz specifically. The left most seems to be 2.4, the next one seemed to do 2.4 and 5ghz, the third was 2.4, and the last did nothing. So I just removed the 3rd antenna and hooked up my directional one. At the other building I tried each of the antennas on the network extender to see if one was better. It turns out the left most, or bottom depending on your orientation, had the strongest signal.

In the end I have 2.4 and 5ghz in building 1 and 2.4ghz beaming Internet to building 2. Building 2 also has 2.4 and 5ghz signal, but of course it will only be as fast as the 2.4ghz signal going to the extender.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7