Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Model: R7900P, I cannot upgrade my macOS to Catalina (10.15.1)

snmeddington
Tutor

Model: R7900P, I cannot upgrade my macOS to Catalina (10.15.1)

R7900P Nighthawk X6S AC 3000.

I'm using macOS on a brand new iMac 27" and it is fully connected to the internet. The upgrade now button will just timeout and say that it lost connection with the host. (Could not connect to the server.)

I was on the phone with an Apple Customer service rep and they went through all the steps with me to confirm I have internet connection which I do. I called the internet provider and they said the problem lies in the connection between the router and my iMac. I cannot seem to solve this.

Please help!

Thanks!

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

shouldn't even need to do that. Unplug from the back of the router and use that to direct connect. Download the file and then reinstall the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? 

Macs and iphones tend to have issues installing apps and updating whenever they're in a double nat situation. Not saying you are but IF you are, this could be the issue. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If you're using a modem/router combo device and then the R7900p, you'll either need to configure your combo device in passthrough/modem only mode or place the R7900p in access point mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 13
snmeddington
Tutor

I am not using another modem. I am connecting Via WIFI directly to the nighthawk router. From what I read in the Double NAT article I am not in that situation unfortunately.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Your router's hooked to something to provide internet. whether its a modem/ont  something is connected to it.  

What's the router connected for providing you internet service. 

Message 4 of 13
snmeddington
Tutor

I found out that I have an ONT on the outside of my house. What would be the next step?

Message 5 of 13
snmeddington
Tutor

The router is wired into the wall of my house which is connected to the ONT.

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Easy fix if you're only issue is updating th mac?

Plug your mac directly into the ont port and see if it updates

Message 7 of 13
snmeddington
Tutor

Correct, my only issue is updating my iMac. I have ordered an ethernet cable and I will plug directly into the wall (which is directly into the ONT) then I will see if it works. If it does I will respond here.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

shouldn't even need to do that. Unplug from the back of the router and use that to direct connect. Download the file and then reinstall the router. 

Message 9 of 13
snmeddington
Tutor

That worked! Plugging into my wall directly into the ONT worked! Thanks so much!

Message 10 of 13
myersw
Master

That is just so wrong. Should not have to go to modem or ONT to update. Do not know what, but there is something wrong when you cannot update an Apple MAC to latest using your Netgear network. One more time Netgear has let the end user down! 

With my setup my MACbook Pro updated to Catalina without issue and should with any QUALITY network device. Netgear not included in the QUALITY device by the way. So many firmware issues that are on going it is surprising that anyone on this forum still is using one. 

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

@myerswAgreed that it shouldn't need to be swapped to get it to update. But I could spend quite a while troubleshooting or we could just direct connect it and get the computer updated. Faster and it worked. 

I also get that you're frustated with Netgear firmware and you've expressed that multiple times on multiple threads. Do you know of a fix for @snmeddington other than "returning/selling it and buying something from a different company"?  If you do, awesome. I'm sure they'd love to hear it. 

Message 12 of 13
myersw
Master

@plemans wrote:

Do you know of a fix for @snmeddington other than "returning/selling it and buying something from a different company"?  If you do, awesome. I'm sure they'd love to hear it. 

@plemans 

You are correct that I am not a fan of Netgear right now. I used to think they were a cut above the rest, but my r8000 and r8000p convinced me otherwise. Wasted time and money with them. One bright Netgear spot for me is the Netgear modem I am using. It just works. 

We would have to understand what the process is being used by Apple update to be able to come up with a fix. Might even require doing wireshark to figure out where things are going wrong. Only other option would the the standard, for Netgear, try different version of firmware or do a reset and reconfigure. Since the OP does not indicate any other issues that would seem to be a wasted effort. If I were in his situation I might even have done the samething just to get it done. Not sure how much indepth PD Apple support did. First level folk are probably not going to figure this one out. It would be interesting to figure out what the r7900p is or is not doing to the update process. 

I have an iPhone, iPad and MACbook Pro and no update issues with any of them. Just did the iPhone and iPad yesterday in fact.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7