Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model WAC104 access point, can I connect direct to the cable modem that the head router uses

Sufferingbearsf
Aspirant

Model WAC104 access point, can I connect direct to the cable modem that the head router uses

I have a Nighthawk connected to the cable modem.  I added a wired access point Model WAC104 and connected it by wire to the same cable modem.

Will that work OK?  The instructions say to connect the access point to the router and thent he router to the cable modem

Trying to maximize speed at the far side of the house

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Model WAC104 access point, can I connect direct to the cable modem that the head router uses

I would review the user manual and installation guides to see how this product is set up and used. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WAC104.aspx

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Model WAC104 access point, can I connect direct to the cable modem that the head router uses

If should work if you're hardwiring the access point into a router. 

What actual nighthawk is it? 

Message 3 of 5
Sufferingbearsf
Aspirant

I have the R8000P wired to the modem.  The access point is also hard wired to the modem.  

The person who installed the access point said that this will work, and it does work.  However the instructions say to wire the access point to the Nighthawk, and not the modem

The access point speeds are not what I expected and so I wondered if wiring the access point to the modem, and not the Nighthawk is causing a problem?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

If the WAC is connected to the modem then try connecting it to the NH router. 

What is the distance between the WAC and th NH router? 30 feet should be a good starting point. 

Be sure the channels on the WAC are far appart from what the router uses. Set the WAC for channel 1 and 36 while setting the router for 11 and 149. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7