More devices on router

NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

More devices on router

Hello,

I have approximately 22 devices showing on my router. But I only have 14-15. And I’ve had these same devices for years. Recently my speeds have dropped dramatically. From mid 20Mbps to 2-6Mbps. My IP is saying it’s all the devices. Is there a way to at least delete the old devices that no longer use the router to show them speeds are still slow even with less devices showing? I’m a noob to routers so I apologize if this is simple fix. Thanks

God Bless
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 38
antinode
Guru

Re: More devices on router

> I have approximately 22 devices showing on my router. But I only have
> 14-15. [...]

The non-psychics in your audience can't see what's "showing on [your]
router", nor which of those devices are ones which you don't recognize.
At what, exactly, are you looking?  Attached Devices?  Address
Reservations?  What, exactly, do you see?  Copy+paste is your friend.

> [...] Recently my speeds have dropped dramatically. From mid 20Mbps to
2-6Mbps. My IP is saying it's all the devices. [...]

"ISP"?  ("IP" = Internet Protocol.  "ISP" = Internet Service
Provider.)  Knowing nothing about how that conclusion was reached, I
can't judge its validity.  One busy device could cause bigger problems
than a flock of idle devices.

> [...] Is there a way to at least delete the old devices that no longer
> use the router to show them speeds are still slow even with less devices
> showing? [...]

Cycle the power on the router?  If you're looking at an Attached
Devices report, and the mystery devices still appear in that list, then
I'd bet that they are actual devices, no matter how many devices you
think that you have.

Otherwise, start powering down the devices which you can identify.

> God Bless

Which one?

Message 2 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

For a “master” you are rude and quite condescending but I will reply. (Refer back I said I was a noob to routers) so I messed up IP and ISP. People like you make people like me NOT use the community because of your arrogant response.

>If I knew what exactly I was looking at I wouldn’t need anyone’s help.

>that conclusion was reached because they can’t figure out my sudden drop in speeds and want to blame me

>you say “ Cycle the power on the router? If you're looking at an Attached
Devices report, and the mystery devices still appear in that list,”

If I knew what a Attached Devices report was yet again I wouldn’t need help.

God Bless
>you pick

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 38
antinode
Guru

> For a "master" [...]

Such titles are assigned by the forum software, over which I have no
control.

> [...] you are rude and quite condescending [...]

How, exactly?  _I_ find it rude to expect help from strangers without
providing them with any useful information.  Want to fight over who's
more rude?

> [...] so I messed up IP and ISP. People like you make people like me
> NOT use the community because of your arrogant response.

How would a non-arrogant clarification like that look?  

>If I knew what exactly I was looking at I wouldn't need anyone's help.

Apparently, you can read and write.  Vast technological expertise is
not needed to explain what you're doing, and what you see before you.
I'm not asking you to explain what it all means, only what you did, and
what you see.  If that's too difficult, then there may be little I can
do for you.

Do you expect anyone here to know more than you do about something
which only you can see?  Whatever it is, I can't see it from here.
Presumably, you can.  

> I have approximately 22 devices showing on my router. [...]

How, exactly, did you determine that?  "showing" on what, exactly?
What, exactly, does it say on the screen where you "have approximately
22 devices showing on [your] router"?  How, exactly, did you get to that
screen?

> If I knew what a Attached Devices report was yet again I wouldn't need
> help.

What _are_ you looking at?  What does it say?  Visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "View Devices
Currently on the Network" or "Attached Devices".

> Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router

There are also models R6700v2 and R6700v3, which may differ.  Check
the label on the product to be sure.

Message 4 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I selected the wrong router last time. My mistake. Unlike you I admit my faults. Whereas, If you’d have paid attention I attached a file to my last response.

You are just looking for someone or something to argue over. I won’t take the bait.

Obviously you have eyes so I’ve attached the pdf again. If you don’t know what that is or how to open it go to another forum and ask for help. I pray somebody will kindly explain it to you instead of treating you like you’ve treated me. (I went back and read your responses to others. Netgear really needs to moderate their forums better)

Thanks for the help (sarcasm)
God Bless
Message 5 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Message 6 of 38

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
Hello,

Recently my speeds have dropped dramatically. From mid 20Mbps to 2-6Mbps. My IP is saying it’s all the devices.

I'd say this is a classic case of someone at support thinking "I don't have a clue, so let's blame it on the user".

There are various things you can try but fiurst lket's start with an important question, what firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

A few other things that can help, if it is turned on, disable QoS.

I doubt if things showing up on a map will do anything to your speeds.

One thing I would do it to look at the wifi channel you are using. Maybe the neighbours are squatting on the same channel. Dig out the manual for your device and look at the section Specify Basic WiFi Settings or Manage the Basic WiFi Settings. That will depend on the hardware version of tour R6700.

For a “master” you are rude and quite condescending

I can only apologise for that. Most people here are friendly, and try to understand that other users have different understanding of these things. They also follow the  NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service. These clearly state:

Behave with civility and mutual respect.

Sadly, as you have seen, one or two people turn up here determined to belittle those seeking help.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 38
antinode
Guru

> [...] My mistake. Unlike you I admit my faults. Whereas, If you'd have
> paid attention I attached a file to my last response.

> [...] I've attached the pdf again. [...]

This must be some new meaning for "again".  Perhaps you tried. but,
as might be obvious by now, mentioning an attachment in the message body
would be helpful, especially if that's the only evidence that an
attachment was attempted.

Thanks for the pretty pictures (however you produced them), but the
router should provide a more useful report.

> [...] Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and
> look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "View
> Devices Currently on the Network" or "Attached Devices".

Still my advice.

Message 8 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Hello,

1st thing thanks for being understanding and helpful.
Let’s clear up one thing. My router is a Nighthawk R7000. I accidentally selected the wrong router once.

Firmware is said to be current and is V1.0.9.60

I disabled the Qos.

I’ve changed channels a few times and it’s not helped speed.

The speeds had been good for over a year. Than bam they went down. Sent out a tech who replaced the outside unit (I’m on LTE as in the country but about 1/2 mile from tower) The speeds picked up for about 3 hrs then back down.

2nd tech visit he was here for 3hrs and couldn’t figure it out. He got a phone call that it was a clerical error on their end. Someone put in the wrong info. That worked for about 1hr. Then speeds dropped again.

Now speeds are always slow and we have actually lost signal completely a few times. I asked my neighbor to do a speed test and he’s slow too. Apparently I’m the only one complaining. Lol

Thanks and God Bless
Message 9 of 38

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

Now speeds are always slow and we have actually lost signal completely a few times. I asked my neighbor to do a speed test and he’s slow too. Apparently I’m the only one complaining.

Possibly not.

R7000- which firmware? - NETGEAR Communities

There are more where that came from.

I see no mention of factory reset so far in this discussion. You could try that.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the sections Rear Panel and Factory Settings.

If that gets you nowhere, try an earlier firmware version.

Strange about the neighbour. Does he also have the R7000?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I’m not sure about neighbors router but I’m guessing he’s using the one Rise gives you.

I did do a factory reset with Netgear support tech. He left everything at factory default settings. Maybe a setting had been changed that didn’t get changed back??

I’m still using the old app as I didn’t like the new app. Would that have anything to do with it?
Message 11 of 38

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
I’m still using the old app as I didn’t like the new app. Would that have anything to do with it?

If that means Genie App versus Nighthawk, that won't make any difference to the router's performance. The apps are just a way into the controls. Some of us prefer the browser interface.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Yes that’s what I was referring to.

My neighbor isn’t home but said he did buy his own router but can’t remember brand. I told him what channels I was on to see if overlapping. Won’t know till he’s home.
Message 13 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I have determined the number of devices is correct. I forgot about smoke detectors.
Message 14 of 38
myersw
Master

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
I have determined the number of devices is correct. I forgot about smoke detectors.

OOPs. Thanks for the update. Guess no issues now?

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

No, still have issues. My speeds and neighbors are still in the 4-7Mbps range and we should avg 17-25Mbps. So I have determined the device number is correct but still why did my speeds drop suddenly after a year of consistent speeds?
Message 16 of 38

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
No, still have issues. My speeds and neighbors are still in the 4-7Mbps range and we should avg 17-25Mbps. So I have determined the device number is correct but still why did my speeds drop suddenly after a year of consistent speeds?

What makes you think that the router is involved when the neighbour with an unknown hardware has the same issue? Logic suggests otherwise. I wouldn't trust an ISP's diagnosis as far as I could throw it.

I know it is easy to blame the router, but it is part of a network that includes other devices.

In one continuing discussion it turns that that the ISP and its modems are the culprit.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I’m not blaming the router by any means. I truly believe this is ALL on them. But they want to blame my router.

So on tech visit #2 we used their router to know avail. Which showed it wasn’t mine. But now they are saying Netgear and LTE don’t get along well so they are back to my router. They won’t touch my router because of “company policy” so I’m trying to do everything I can and document it to show them when they arrive again I did everything I could on my end and it’s not my fault.

Like I said everything was fine for just over a year then bam. Drop in speeds. Something on their end happened Dec 3rd. Had to be.

They’ve already admitted 2 mistakes on their part.
They tried saying I was just on the fringe of the network. I stated the installer was a good friend of mine and he’d have told me that and secondly why did it work for a year then start failing? What we found out was the Google map the tech supervisor in Colorado was looking at didn’t even have my address remotely close to where I live. I actually live in the prime location far from the fringe.

They also admitted they made a clerical mistake.

But none of this has fixed the issue. They are now saying it’s interference. Well, 2 things. It’s winter in Iowa and the trees are leafless so this should’ve happened in the prime of summer not now. Also, I live in one of the poorest counties in Iowa and ZERO new construction has been done so that’s eliminated.

The tech supervisor is sending the only tech they have in the area (which I think is part of the problem. Nice guy but not knowledgeable) on the 26th. He said if they can’t figure it out “it’s just one of those LTE issues that nothing can be done for” his words.

I’m not dumb. I work on cars, car stereo design and installs and I’m also a home theater designer and installer. I do the work myself. (Just remodeling my own now. 4K projector and 159” screen with 7.0 surround sound. I have migraines so no sub currently) so I know a little about trouble shooting. I just went down and started replacing Ethernet cables. The one coming from outside to the 3”x3” power supply might be the issue. It appears that when it was in the wall connected to a keystone jack wallplate it crimped badly where the wire itself enters the connector. If I just jiggled the cable my internet would go in/out. I speed tested and after a few tests I’m holding at low to mid 20s. I’m leaving everything as is to do testing for a longer period of time.

Just as I’ve typed this the speeds have dropped again! Around 9-11 now! I’m at a loss🤬
Message 18 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I know wiring. I’ve made my own component cables (when they were high tech lol) and make my own Ethernet cables. I’m currently studying to make HDMI cables. So yes when it comes to routers and adjustments that can be made to optimize them I’m a noob. But otherwise I do know a little about tech. 😉
Message 19 of 38
IrvSp
Master

@NightKITTEN321,

You said this, "So on tech visit #2 we used their router to know avail. Which showed it wasn’t mine. But now they are saying Netgear and LTE don’t get along well so they are back to my router. " right.

If so, how could it be your router? That 2nd part was just the ISP passing blame as they can't fix it.

What I would do? Have them install their router. Then call and complain about low speeds. Once they fix it, have them take their router out.

Given some routers can have a hard time with 1Gb service, but not your speed.

Even if your neighbor has a router, can you see his SSID(s)? If so, how strong are they? A network analyser would show that as well as the possible connections on most devices. Unless it is as strong as your's the chance of interference would be low, expecially if you use a Network analyser to see the channels and make sure you do not overlap the other signals.

Pressure them to fix it, especially if you neighbor has the same problem.

Message 20 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I am pressuring them. That’s why I want to do as much trouble shooting as possible so I can say “already did it and here’s the proof”.

I talked to initial installer (my friend) explained if I jiggled the Ethernet cable service would go in/out. He suggested I replace the end. They use the “b” method of matching colors so after he explained that I put on new end. Same slow speeds but if I dangle the 3”x3” power supply around the speeds jump all around. It’s crazy. We've replaced that unit 2x already.
Message 21 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Sorry more noob questions

How do I see the SSIDs

What or where do I find a network analyzer
Message 22 of 38
IrvSp
Master

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

How do I see the SSIDs

What or where do I find a network analyzer

Depends on the device. It is where you go to CONNECT to the router... depending on the device's capablitly (only 2.4Ghz or Dual-Band) you might only see the one you could connect to or a bunch of them, 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's.

Same goes for the Network analyzer, for instance if on Windows, https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/download-..., note that some call them Network Scanner's. You can Google either term to find them, also in the stores for devices (Apple and Android). Get the FREE ones. Many are heavy duty ones that cost money.

In any event, if you ONLY see your own SSID's, then I wouldn't worry about interference too much and need the network tool.

I'm on Windows and on the right is a screen capture of some of the SSID's I see. I've blacked out my 3 but I can see others. However none of the others are strong signals that would cause me interference. You would see something similar on all devices if you had many SSID's around. Oh, the reason I see 'my 3' is because I have a Tri-band router and my Network Adapter is Dual Band and can see both 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's.

Message 23 of 38
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Can you disconnect all of your wireless devices (except your phone) and then run speedtest.net several times?  Then start adding wifi devices back one at a time and see if anything changes?

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 24 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Which acrylic do I choose. I’m on the windows link you provided.

Also is this the SSID you were talking about. Mine is 2.4 and 5 with guest for both.
Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E