More devices on router

NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Re: More devices on router

I can disconnect devices. It’d be last choice.
Message 26 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Can I just shut the internet off to certain devices or actually unplug them.
Message 27 of 38

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

How do I see the SSIDs

A quick and dirty approach is to wave you mobile phone around. Look at its wifi and see all those weird networks that it wants to connect to. Those are local SSIDs.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 28 of 38
IrvSp
Master

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
Which acrylic do I choose. I’m on the windows link you provided.

Also is this the SSID you were talking about. Mine is 2.4 and 5 with guest for both.

Acrylic might not be good for you as it is for Windows. You posted a phone picture. You'll need to go to the Phone's store to find one. On the Android store I found a good one, WiFi Analyser, and there are others.

You show 4 SSID's. Blacked out the names, but 2 are protected and 2 are open. Suspect the 2 protected are your 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's (you should know the names) and the other 2 are the Guest ID's, and again, you should know the ID. All 4 have strong signals, so it wouldn't be someone elses SSID's if those are the only 4 you see.

Message 29 of 38
IrvSp
Master

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
I can disconnect devices. It’d be last choice.

Yes, as long as they are not connected, they would not use the signal. When down to one device, test the speed. If by chance it is still low, disconnect that device and connect a different one and test. Still low, it is either the router or modem to router connection. If OK speed wise for either case, start adding back devices one at a time, test, and if OK, add another and test. At some point you should see the speed drop, and the last added device would be the problem.

Message 30 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Ok. I went thru the app and paused the internet to every device but my phone. (It won’t let you pause it as it’s the device your using to control everything) and with everything paused to the internet my speeds were still in the 5-6 range.
Message 31 of 38
schumaku
Guru

Are one or two of the devices (GatewayAA..., Wireless...ey-WiFi) act as a bridge or extender, probably doing any kind of MAC mapping (like the Netgear extenders do) so the same device will become visible under two different MAC addresses, and unless with a fixed IPv4 address also with different IPv4 addresses?

Message 32 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Yes. There are two devices with different names.
Message 33 of 38
sktn77a
Virtuoso

"I went thru the app and paused the internet to every device but my phone. and my speeds were still in the 5-6 range."

Then it sounds like your LTE network.

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 34 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

My other neighbor finally tested his speed too. And guess what he found. SLOW. Very slow. 2.something. I called Rise asked for the tech supervisor I’ve been dealing with for 3 weeks to give him all the trouble shooting and info I’ve collected so he would know and could pass on to tech that’s coming 26th. He was “busy” so had the operator take notes to send him a email. Lol.
Message 35 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Ok guys explain this one to me. I’ve replaced the Ethernet cable end that comes from the outside unit to the poe unit in the house. Each time the first 2 speed tests I’m in 20s. Then drops to single digits. It’s happened both times. ?????
Message 36 of 38
Whoaru99
Apprentice

I use the R7000 on a 200Mbps Internet plan. Unless you have some really screwy settings it's not the R7000 holding you back. If you can connect directly to the modem or whatever it's called I'd think you could eliminate R7000 as contributory once and for all.

What is the package speed you are paying for?

Are there any provisions in the terms of the agreement where the provider says they can throttle your speed on certain conditions? If so, do any of those conditions presently apply?

Message 37 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

As I stated before I don’t in any way think it’s the router. In fact we used their router and got the same results. But I’m doing everything I can so they can’t put the blame on me. I’m troubleshooting my own gear, calling neighbors and getting their speeds etc….Evetything they should be doing but they just want to say since I’m the only one experiencing issues it has to be in my end. They say everything they see from their side shows speeds should be fine.

But after investigating I’ve found my neighbor to the north and south both have slow speeds they just aren’t complaining like I am. I’ve passed that on to tech with screen shots of their speeds and now they have decided to look into the tower.

They are still coming here on the 26th because when I move the POE (which we’ve replaced 2x already) my internet goes completely in/out. And like I said if put a new end on the Ethernet cable that comes from the dish outside to the POE I get great speeds for a short time then they drop. That’s completely baffled me. 🤪

I have a 350Mbp plan per month. The speed is 25Mbps. It’s just myself and my wife. We use roughly 180 a month. And even if we did use the whole amount my plan doesn’t allow throttling. So that’s not a issue either.

This is on them. I’m just collecting enough evidence that they finally have to admit it and fix it instead of saying it’s an isolated case so it’s gotta be on me.
Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E