Re: Most reliable wireless router for home

Wireless-Router
Aspirant

Most reliable wireless router for home

I am looking for a wireless router for my home to connect multiple devices.
Can someone suggest one of the recent models in the market with reliable performance and speed. I am getting mixed reactions when I go through the forum and couldn’t choose a particular model.
Please recommend from your experience.
Thanks!
Message 1 of 18
schumaku
Guru

For now no there can't be any better advise but staying far away from Netgear consumer routers - Nighthawk, Nighthawk AX, Orbi, Nighthawk Pro Gaming.

Message 2 of 18
plemans
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

For now no there can't be any better advise but staying far away from Netgear consumer routers - Nighthawk, Nighthawk AX, Orbi, Nighthawk Pro Gaming.

Not sure why you'd say this. I've been running a C7800-->GS716T-200NAS--->Orbi RBK50 and other misc nonmanaged switches setup and its worked great for me. I pay for gigabit speeds and reliably hit these speeds. I've got around 50+ devices (around half are wired) on my network and its been running fine. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 3 of 18
Wireless-Router
Aspirant

This looks like a cable modem and router combined. I am looking for a standalone router
Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Can't and won't speak of the C7800 ... the GS716T-200NAS is business class switch and OK no doubts ... ... and your Orbi does correctly show all attached devices for all satellites, clients are correctly roaming, no "fake" or "shadow entries for the same MAC under a different name, ...  But hey, for Orbi as a consumer class device I expect that the backhaul cna be configured by ad-hoc plugging Orbi router (or central AP) and Orbi satellites to an exsiting Ethernet infrastructure (with switches, cabling, ...) in any layout - without having to break a leg. Nice product, but unfinished, and careless coding.

Message 5 of 18
Wireless-Router
Aspirant

Thanks for your comments!
Can you please suggest an alternate from your experience?
Any other recommendations
Message 6 of 18
microchip8
Master

I have a very good experience with the R7800, minus a few annoyances which can be worked around (mostly ipv6 issues)

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.91SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 7 of 18
Aqualung1
Luminary

Wait for WiFi6 to get approved, and then purchase a WiFi6 certified router. Up until the recent firmware fiasco, Netgear routers used to be pretty reliable.

Message 8 of 18
Wireless-Router
Aspirant

Does the current firmware issue affect all the wireless routers or certain models are still reliable and works without problem
Message 9 of 18
Wireless-Router
Aspirant

WiFi6 is quite new to the market and may take some time to get established
Message 10 of 18
schumaku
Guru

With the grown number of Nightawk AX routers in the field, we see

• similar issues as many experience on a longer list of Nighthawk routers, and
  • obvious issues already discussed in the public (like non-AX clients not able to connect unless AX disabled) are not fixed in months.
  • no statement from Netgear ref. the features missing on the AX8 and AX12 so both are not fully compliant to the recently ratified Wi-Fi 6 draft standard (e.g. plans, updates, ...) 

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

@Wireless-Router wrote:
This looks like a cable modem and router combined. I am looking for a standalone router

I've ran the orbi without the C7800 as the base with it going from CM1100-->Orbi-->Switches and its ran fine. I'm playing with some things in my setup which is why I'm running the c7800 right now.  In terms of the orbi problems every couple firmwares the naming scheme messes up in the attached devices but Netgear is pretty good about updating firmware frequently to fix errors. If you look back, theres been 22 updates to the firmware as features are added or problems fixed. How many consumer routers see updates 2 years past their release dates? (released Nov. 2016)  

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 12 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

@Wireless-Router wrote:

IHow many consumer routers see updates 2 years past their release dates? (released Nov. 2016)  

How many consumer products had and still have such an ridiculous amount of bugs and problems?

And as of writing, Orbi is still not near of being a consumer product ready for the market - a wired backhaul still needs configuration, and the wireless backhhaul is by far not a true Mesh system - it's more or less a lie, a slightly enhanced variant of the wireless extenders. Where the functionality has swapped over to, Netgear claims having Mesh Wireless Extenders now. And hey, we discovered the EX7000 Mesh update did cause massive issues somewhere early last summer, and as of writing, there is still no fix available, the buggy firmware is still published as the latest and greatest.

Anybody keen to buy a R9000 - a device (standalone router, initially priced at USD 499 and its still can can of worms, security issues published months ago are STILL not fixed, and the very basic WS Discovery mandatory for Windows 10 nowadays is still not even in the specs for ReadyShare USB sharing?

Oh before I forget it, Orbi is a very simple beast - anything that had added completely and problems on Nighthawk (ReadyShare UUSB Storage, ReadyShare USB Printer, ...) does not even exist. 

That's all I have to say about Netgears community g******e. Serioulsy I am unable to promote any of these products.

Message 13 of 18
myersw
Master

Can have a nice Ubiqiti network for $450.

In my case it just works unlike my r8000 and r8000p

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 14 of 18
RMinNJ
Luminary

You did not say how many devices you want to connect, how much area you need to cover or what your internet speed is.     

My R7800 has been really reliable with the exception of some recent firmware that took NetGear months to fix.  It is stable and reliable now but I would say the support form NetGear is non-existent after 90 days so if need a large amount of support this may not be the brand to get.    I think you could do worst  though .      I reccomend you

check out smallnetbuilder site and forums and see which features and performance are most importan to you.   

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 15 of 18
Thinkster
Apprentice

As myersw said for just under $450, you could have a nice ubiquiti network with 5 Access Points and plenty of throughput.  I setup a large house recently with detached garage/office & detached pool room and deployed the 5 AP's to different locations with the non-wifi router at the head end connected to 400MB/s cable internet.  No problems with connectivity or streaming.   Maybe not the consumer friendly wizard for the non-tech savy, but pretty easy if you know what you're doing.  Unfortunately a Nighthawk wouldn't have cut it in this house...

Message 16 of 18

@Wireless-Router wrote:
Thanks for your comments!
Can you please suggest an alternate from your experience?
Any other recommendations

Remember that this community exists mostly to sort out problems. The many 000s of people who have no issue don't even know that this place exists.

You should also know that some people hang around here simply to pour scorn on anything and everything that Netgear makes. Some even boast that they never use Netgear hardware, but that does not stop them from intervening. Perhaps they had a bad childhood experience.

A better place to get unbiased comments might be Amazon or the other retail sites where people buy and use this stuff.

A good place to narrow the search is probably Netgear's product pages, where you can feed in your needs, things like the size of your property, for example.

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Do the same with other brands.

When considering alternative makes, check them on the review sites and visit their support forums. Mostly you will find people with the same problems. The main difference with Netgear is that it has the busiest self-support group, with some staff people on hand.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 17 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Thinkster wrote:

As myersw said for just under $450, you could have a nice ubiquiti network with 5 Access Points and plenty of throughput.

All wired APs I guess - that's the (only - yes Netgear!) way to go - certainly once you intend to run the ISP's IGMP Multicast based FullHD and UHD IPTV.

A similar set-up and total price is possible using the Netgear Insight system, a small Insight PoE switch like a GC110P, some kits of three or five WAC505, and a BR500 router (with the last device priced to high in compariosn to the Ubiquity).

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E