Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Much slower LAN speed than direct from the house network

LawshrinkMD
Aspirant

Much slower LAN speed than direct from the house network

I am now connected to gigabit service, with the google fiber router feeding service into the house Cat5e wiring.  I noticed my computer speed tested at 940 or so up and down direct into the wall, but when connected to the wired lan ports on the back of the R6700, I "only" get 435 MPS down and 500MPS up.

Any ideas on how to get faster wired speed and still use the router?  I was reading other posts, and I made sure blocking was off.  Are there other things to do to get the throughput higher, or is this router just not up to the job?

Thanks!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
LawshrinkMD
Aspirant

Everything is working fine now, I got rid of my Google Fiber Network box, and replaced it with a Netgear Pro Smart Switch which can do the vlan2 tagging.  Anyway, the router is working fine, passing 900+ through the wired ports.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Make sure the following are all off.  If any are on, reboot after turning them off.

• QoS
  • Traffic metering
  • MAC address cloning
  • MAC address access control
  • Keyword blocking
  • Service blocking
  • AP mode

Alternatively, perform a factory reset and do a minimal config (i.e. Wi-Fi and LAN settings).  Don't turn on any fancy features.

Message 2 of 7
LawshrinkMD
Aspirant

Hmm, I tried that and no luck, still only reading in the 300-400 MPS.  I then changed the router to be an access point, still no luck.  Any other ideas?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

I forgot to mention that PPPoE will also drag down performance.

Have you enabled any other features on the router?  ReadyShare?

Message 4 of 7
LawshrinkMD
Aspirant

No, I have done a full reset several times, regular factory settings as both a router (double NAT) as well as an Access Point, and it is still losing 400 mps compared to the straight feed.  I would consider upgrading to a better router to avoid this, would an X6 still have this problem?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You should be getting around 900 mbits of wan->lan throughput (wired) with this router.

Did you try using different cabling?

Message 6 of 7
LawshrinkMD
Aspirant

Everything is working fine now, I got rid of my Google Fiber Network box, and replaced it with a Netgear Pro Smart Switch which can do the vlan2 tagging.  Anyway, the router is working fine, passing 900+ through the wired ports.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7