Re: Multiple SSIDs available in Windows 10, only one configured

HelpfulDad
Aspirant

Multiple SSIDs available in Windows 10, only one configured

I have only one, non-advertised SSID (let's call it NAME5) at 5Ghz from my R7000|AC1900.  I live in an apartment so rather than advertise it, I'll keep it to myself on a lesser used channel.  When I first spun up NAME5, or if I forget it, I, of course have to click "Hidden Network", type in NAME5 and authenticate, which, on subsequent connections will cache the name of the hidden network.

But now, when I turn on my ASUS USB AC53 WiFi adapter and look for networks to which I can connect, I'm presented "NAME5" (not including quotes) along with another called "NAME5 2".  After a successful connection to "NAME5", if I rest my mouse over the WiFi icon in the Windows tray, it shows a connection to "NAME5 2".  If I click the icon to see what networks are available, it shows me connected to "NAME5", with "NAME5 2" also available to connect.

While this is likely an ASUS-Windows issue and it's doesn't seem to affect performance or reliability, I'm curious WTH is going on and if anyone else has seen this?  I'm doing a little Windows-Asus troubleshooting, but the reason for my post is feedback from somebody who has seen this exact same thing

FYI the NAME part of NAME5 is my last name that is short, relatively unique and the odds that another hidden, 5Ghz network would have this SSID are astronomical, in case you're wondering.  It's not like I named it SMITH5.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has seen this same issue and has an explanation.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Why do you think that the R7000 is involved  this?

Here's an experiment, turn off the wifi on the R7000 and see what happens.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
HelpfulDad
Aspirant

Have you seen this? Im looking for help from someone who has.
Message 3 of 10
TC_in_Montana
Apprentice

99.9% chance this is not R7000 related but Windows related.

Everytime you log into a new network Window remembers it.  If you changed your Wireless Adapter, you would get a different login saved by Windows.... with a different number designator.   While you are logging into NAME5, it is remembering the setting under "NAME5 2".   If you go back to your original Wireless Adapter, you would most likely use the "NAME5" settings.

Right Click on your Wireless Icon in the Toolbar, Select "Open Network and Internet Settings" then Click on WiFi, and find the "Manage Known Networks".

It will list all of the Network names you have logged into from that PC.    You will most likely see the "NAME5"  and "NAME5 2" on there...  Click on the one you don't want, and select FORGET.

Message 4 of 10

Good idea.

And, of course, one way to test this is to turn off the router's wifi and test what happens.

Those saved networks will still be there. That includes the one that should be broadcasting. Try connecting and see what happens.

A bit more useful than sticking with a mistaken assumption.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 10
HelpfulDad
Aspirant

If either of you took the time to read my post in which I’m clear about what I’m asking for, you’d know that Im not making any assumption. I’m asking for input from someone who has seen this issue, not some troubleshooting steps. Since neither of you have seen this issue, your posts are just clutter.
Message 6 of 10
TC_in_Montana
Apprentice

@HelpfulDad 

WOW.    

You will not get a 100% this is exactly what it is from this board.  None of us are at your keyboard, looking at your screen, and personally evaluating what is happening.   We are going off of your explanation, but without screenshots or full, complete details.

Then when you get recommendations on what you might try, you decide since someone didn't say "I have seen this exact thing" and you must do this, you feel like you need to insult those that you asked for help from.   Simply amazing.

Edited to remove an antagonistic statement.  My apologies to @HelpfulDad      

Message 7 of 10

I fear that if anyone is wasting time here, it isn't us.

The people who join in on this group try to help people to fix problems.

So far there is no sign that you have a problem, merely something happening that you do not understand.

Perhaps you could take us back to why you are asking for "an explanation". @TC_in_Montana has offered one explanation. Did you investigate it?

What is the problem that this abundance of SSIDs causes you?

You have been given various suggestions. Sadly, if you don't get an answer to your question, it could be that people don't understand your question. Try explaining it differently.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 10
HelpfulDad
Aspirant

Yet nobody has said.  "I have seen this and here's what's going on", which is who I'm asking for a response from

I don't need theories, nor troublehsooting steps.  I already have ideas about what to do, but, before I do anything, I'm looking for someone in this community who has actually seen this and knows why it happens.  Since this behavior began with my R7000 installation, it's a reasonable post in this community.

You must be unfamiliar with best practices for troubleshooting and remediation.  For those unfamiliar with best practice, I'll explain it here so others can save themselves from making changes that create more issues.

A best practice is to solicit input from others who have experienced an issue being troubleshot and learn from their experiences.  It's bad practice to start making changes based on what "may" be going on, lest an unintended consequence occur.  In that case, a complete system backup is the best safeguard so one can restore to the previous configuration.  

So, that's a lot of work and time consuming, whereas soliciting input with those who've expeienced the same issue is much less effort.

My post is clear and explicitly asks for the specific input I'm looking for.  I may not get it, because others haven't had this happen to them or maybe they just don't want to post.  Your temerity to tell someone how to post a request as if you are some arbiter of what should be posted and why, intimidates neophytes from asking questions to the best of their ability. Boards everywhere are cluttered with posts impugning the credibility of an OP because another poster provides an unwanted answer to a question and the OP tells the poster that it doesn't answer the question.

The post has a ton of contextual information with one simple request for input from someone who has seen this issue and looking for their input. If you've never had the issue, no response is necessary and certainly not to question the credibility of the OP stating that it has nothing to do with the hardware or that the OP asked the wrong question.  Just don't answer if you don't like the post, it's simple.

It seems your emotions are getting the best of you here since you had to edit your first response to take out "antagontistic statements".  Nobody is forcing you to answer, so it seems the only one wasting your time is you.  I've made it clear that your input isn't helpful so why do you continue?  Just because you're some "guru", that doesn't mean you know everything about everything, nor that you can interpret explicit statements for different meanings, nor that you have to answer every post.  Not sure how "guru" is attained, but it might be just a sheer number of posts, but in this case, you are unqualified to answer my post since you've never had the issue.

Message 9 of 10
TC_in_Montana
Apprentice

Search the internet on "Wireless Network Profiles Windows 10"

Here is a link to start you out....  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3507-delete-wireless-network-profile-windows-10-a.html 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E