Re: My R7000 WIFI die after update new firmware

vietkool
Tutor

My R7000 WIFI die after update new firmware

Hello all,

Windows 10, iPad, iPhone

My router R7000 was running fine for years, onee in a while got stuck and I just turn off/on then everything ok. Last week I got email from Netgear support telling there is a new update firmware (Firmware Version 1.0.6.28) form my Nighthawk R7000. I just did the update last night and all my wifi are does not work anymore. The wired port are working fine but none of wifi is working. I can see the wifi on the list of wireless but when try to connect to it, I keep getting a msg " unable to join" and sometimes asking for password then "unable to join".

I try to flash back to the old firmware version (Firmware Version 1.0.5.48) that I was using before but the wifi still not working. I think the new update firmware kill the wifi or something. Anyone here have the same issue please share how to fix it.

thanks

Message 1 of 10
netwrks
Master

There are tons of comments about the new firmware and a multitude of issues.

Reset  the router to factory default and reconfigure from scratch. Do not use a backed up config with new firmware version. If nothing changes, revert back to your old firmware. Reset to fectory defaults agaian. 

Message 2 of 10
rpoffen
Virtuoso

This FW should have come with a warning, try at your own risk :-(

Message 3 of 10
vietkool
Tutor

The phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it" really apply to my case. It's been working fine until the dam update ...

I will try the hard reset tonight when get back home from work.

Thanks for the tip guys

Message 4 of 10
andywooz32
Aspirant

I had something similar. Except my 5G band is working, just my 2.4G band stopped working. But wait, it gets weirder, the normal 2.4G band is dead, but the GUEST 2.4G is working. how can THAT be?  both the guest, and regular 5G are working.

I have all four of them with different SSID's.  I've been able to join the Guest 2.4G and the Guest 5G and the 'regular' 5G without issues. I've switched between them about 5 times.  but the regular 2.4G will just NOT connect. I've tried with my iMac, and two of my cell phones. Same results.

I've tried a soft reboot, and a hard power-off on the R7000. 

I'm "this" close to doing a hard reset. Just currently 'too lazy' to do so.  But, I didn't keep the previous version of the FIRMWARE. Can someone point me to the previous version (the one that doesn't have this 'bug')?  I'm hoping it hasn't seriously 'killed something' (in a hard wire kind of way) and it's just a software bug we're dealing with.

Thanks,

Andy

Message 5 of 10
vietkool
Tutor

I Just did the hard reset by using the paper clip press into the reset button on the back router, hold for 10 seconds then release and turn off power, wait about 30sec then turn back on. Log in router again and reconfig everything. Now it works great.

The "hard" reset really do the trick here. Remember do not use the backup config file to restore. You have to do fresh config again. Also check the smart wifi box option.

good luck

Message 6 of 10
andywooz32
Aspirant

I just did the same hard reset with the paper clip. And I also got everything back to working again. I did notice however that the firmware version is the same V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 that I had upgraded that kicked off the killing off of my 2.4G regular SSID network.  Now all four are back up and working again. I THOUGHT the hard reset would reset my firmware back to factory. I held in the paper clip for a good 30 seconds before I let go and let the router reboot and reset itself. Not sure what you mean by "Smart wifi box" option, did you mean the "Enable Smart Connect" checkbox on the BASIC->WIRELESS (SETUP) tab?

The one that says : 

>>

Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

<<

?

Anyways, glad to get it back up and working again.  I didn't want to push everyone to the Guest WIFI network, nor force people to be close enough to leverage the 5G network.

Message 7 of 10
vietkool
Tutor

I got mine up running fine. I use to have 2.4g, 5g and 2.4g guest and 5g guest but when I turn on the smart connect, it makes my 2.4g and 5g combine in  one or so. Now I can only see 1 wifi in the list instead of 4 different wifi shown before.

I just want to test this smart connect for a while. If it didn't work out good then I will turn it off.

Message 8 of 10
andywooz32
Aspirant

Let us know how it goes. The 5G gives me faster speeds, But signal strength drops quickly as I move away, as compared to 2.4G.
Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

The latest firmware has been pulled out from support site. You may check the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R7000-Router-Firmware/m-p/1047799#...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements