Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My R7000 is being very slow

mmese
Aspirant

My R7000 is being very slow

I'm paying for Cox gigablast and have a cox modem/router with an R7000 connected. I haven't enabled bridge mode yet, but I will test it eventually. I disabled QoS and the speed got way better for about a day, but now it's back down to 80 mbps (nighthawk app). I can't find how to disable traffic monitor on the web overlay, so any help on that front would be helpful as well. Can you guys help me with this and fix my speeds so I get what I actually pay for?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: My R7000 is being very slow

You are going to have a very difficult time until you choose to let either your Cox modem/router or your R7000 do the routing.  It is an uphill battle until you put your Cox modem/router into bridge mode and let the R7000 do the routing or leave the routing to the Cox modem/router and put the R7000 in Access Point mode.  Do a search with the term double NAT here on the forums.

Go to the downloads section at the top of the page, put in your model number and download the manual for the R7000.  On pages 103 and 104 you will find detailed instructions on how to enable or disable the traffic monitor function. 

The speed (capacity) test function in the Nighthawk application is inconsistent at best, otherwise simply poor.  Recommend you use the Ookla application from either the windows or apple playstore.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
mmese
Aspirant

So enabling bridge mode made it slower and I found how to disable traffic logging. Traffic logging disabled increased speeds to still below the modem. We'll see how long that lasts.

Message 2 of 8
Kitsap
Master

You are going to have a very difficult time until you choose to let either your Cox modem/router or your R7000 do the routing.  It is an uphill battle until you put your Cox modem/router into bridge mode and let the R7000 do the routing or leave the routing to the Cox modem/router and put the R7000 in Access Point mode.  Do a search with the term double NAT here on the forums.

Go to the downloads section at the top of the page, put in your model number and download the manual for the R7000.  On pages 103 and 104 you will find detailed instructions on how to enable or disable the traffic monitor function. 

The speed (capacity) test function in the Nighthawk application is inconsistent at best, otherwise simply poor.  Recommend you use the Ookla application from either the windows or apple playstore.

Message 3 of 8
mmese
Aspirant

I guess I'll just live with it. Bridge mode made the speeds slower. The mobile app let me turn off the monitoring and that sped it up a bit.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

@mmese wrote:

I'm paying for Cox gigablast and have a cox modem/router with an R7000 connected. I haven't enabled bridge mode yet, but I will test it eventually. I disabled QoS and the speed got way better for about a day, but now it's back down to 80 mbps (nighthawk app). I can't find how to disable traffic monitor on the web overlay, so any help on that front would be helpful as well. Can you guys help me with this and fix my speeds so I get what I actually pay for?

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

After you have made changes to the configuration of your LAN or changes to operational modes, it is always a good practice to completely power down your LAN devices and then start them back up in sequence.

Power down your Cox modem/router (pull the power cord and disconnect the ethernet cable).

Power down your R7000 (pull the power cord).

Power up your Cox modem/router and give it plent of time to complete the startup sequence.

Connect the WAN ethernet cable to your R7000 and then power it up.  Again, give it plenty of time to complete the startup sequence. 

Now you can go to Ookla and run a capacity (speed) test.

Message 6 of 8
mmese
Aspirant

So I put the R7000 in AP mode. It increased the speeds to ALMOST as high as the modem/router by itself. Bridge mode on the modem/router just decreased the speed for some reason.

Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

I am glad it is working better.

A couple of things to keep in mind.  The startup sequence is important to establish the communication between your modem and your access point.  Something gets out of line, go through that startup sequence before you start marking changes and then afterwards.

You did not share the brand name and model of your Cox modem/router.  No all hardware manufacturers define Bridge mode the same way. 

With your R7000 in access point mode, some of the features of the device are not functional.  Do some research on the forum about access point mode and there is a list from Netgear of those features.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7