Re: My R7000 power light blinking // no start up

gdphome
Guide

My R7000 power light blinking // no start up

Since this morning the R7000 is not working, (worked perfect when I went to bed, no previous issues) 

Has worked for many years without issues so far

Power LED Light is blinking. Tried following

Switch on/off at least 7 times

Tried the reset button 7 seconds several times

Tried reset button 30 seconds several times

Same result every time after repowering, blinking light

Any suggestions how to get the router working again

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 49
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@gdphome  Ok, probably not something you want to contemplate, but you state your router has worked for many years without issues, so perhaps it's suffered a hardware failure?

Exactly how old is your router and what firmware are you on?

Switch it off for several hours let it cool down and then try a reboot and see what happens.

Message 2 of 49
antinode
Guru

> [...] Power LED Light is blinking. [...]

You may be a candidate for the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for
example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

> [...] what firmware are you on?

That might be tough to determine if the management web site is
unresponsive.

Message 3 of 49
Downfall
Guide

My router is doing the same exact thing this morning. Coincidence I think not. On hold for customer service
Message 4 of 49
gdphome
Guide

Hope that there is a solution, let me know what is feedback of customer service. Mine is almost 5 years old. Really strange that this is happening out of the blue

Message 5 of 49
swilson317
Star

@gdphome wrote:

Since this morning the R7000 is not working, (worked perfect when I went to bed, no previous issues) 

OMG. The EXACT same thing happened to me. Worked fine last night. Started work from home this morning and no network. Same...blinking power light. Manual indicates that firmware is corrupt. But I have NOT done any changes. Reboot, reset, nothing helps. Manual says to contact Netgear. Router has worked flawlessly for years!

Steve

Message 6 of 49
Downfall
Guide

I was on the phone with Netgear for over an hour, jumping thru hoops. After the hour they tried telling me my router was defective, I said to them that other people in the community had the SAME EXACT issue on the SAME EXACT day so how is my router defective? They have now created a ticket for me and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you posted
Message 7 of 49
gdphome
Guide

Hi Steve, so that's 3, and did not do any update myself either.

@swilson317 wrote:

@gdphome wrote:

OMG. The EXACT same thing happened to me. Worked fine last night. Started work from home this morning and no network. Same...blinking power light. Manual indicates that firmware is corrupt. But I have NOT done any changes. Reboot, reset, nothing helps. Manual says to contact Netgear. Router has worked flawlessly for years!

Steve

Message 8 of 49
gdphome
Guide

@Downfall wrote:
I was on the phone with Netgear for over an hour, jumping thru hoops. After the hour they tried telling me my router was defective, I said to them that other people in the community had the SAME EXACT issue on the SAME EXACT day so how is my router defective? They have now created a ticket for me and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you posted

Thanks for the update, curious if there are even more people with same issue

Message 9 of 49
swilson317
Star

@swilson317 wrote:

@gdphome wrote:

Steve

P.S. Looked through my Best Buy purchases and found I bought the router on May 1, 2014.

Message 10 of 49
labatt
Mentor

I am betting that firmware auto undate was on. That is the default and a new firmware was pushed down and did not complete successfully. That happens way too often with these routers. IMHO the first step that should be done when done with the tftp process is to turn auto update off. Again, IMHO, updates should only be done via a PC/MAC via Ethernet attached to router. 

Message 11 of 49
gdphome
Guide

@Portwey84 wrote:

@gdphome  Ok, probably not something you want to contemplate, but you state your router has worked for many years without issues, so perhaps it's suffered a hardware failure?

Exactly how old is your router and what firmware are you on?

Switch it off for several hours let it cool down and then try a reboot and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion, tried it unfortunatelly same result as with all other things I tried, 

Blinking....

Message 12 of 49
swilson317
Star

I've never had an update happen automatically. I have always been prompted that one is available and the choice was mine. So not sure how this situation happened. Could it be some kind of hack? VERY frustrating! On an online class, so those of you contacting customer support, please report back! I really don't want to have to buy another router today, but will do so if necessary!

Message 13 of 49
Portwey84
Virtuoso

I concur with @labatt  Several users suffering exactly the same issue, this too leads me to strongly believe that perhaps auto update was applied to the affected routers and the firmware updates have failed to complete properly. If not, then something else is clearly lurking in the background. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how the auto update works. Does the firmware process happen without any action at all from the user? or does the router owner get a prompt or warning first?

If anyone else is reading this thread and hasn't checked their router settings page lately, then perhaps now is a good time to do so. I've personally disabled auto update. I did so the day I set up my R7000. I couldn't have known that only a few weeks after purchasing it, that the latest firmware would be released. At least when I carried out the update, it was done completely on my terms, not pushed out and applied without any input from me, if indeed that is what auto updating does?

Message 14 of 49
labatt
Mentor

@Portwey84 wrote:

Does the firmware process happen without any action at all from the user? or does the router owner get a prompt or warning first?

As the name implies, auto update is automatic. No human action needed except to deactive it. 

Message 15 of 49
swilson317
Star

I don't know if you are confusing this model with a different one, but I just went through the manual and there is absolutely NO feature mentioned regarding auto-update of firmware. It clearly states that you are prompted that one is available and then you have to download and install. If I missed something, please specify the page number in the manual where this auto-update feature exists.  Here is a link to the manual: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6900/R6900_UM_9Nov2015.pdf

Message 16 of 49
swilson317
Star

...and here is the link for the R7000 version of the manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

Message 17 of 49
gdphome
Guide

@swilson317 wrote:

...and here is the link for the R7000 version of the manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

So appearantly it is a manual process. Frankly I am not 100% sure, what the setup was and as I cannot access anymore it is not possible to check what the setting was....

What I can say that whatever the setting was, it used to work almost 5 years. 

Until this morning....

Message 18 of 49
Portwey84
Virtuoso

I've only personally been referring to the R7000 AC1900 model. My router has the auto update feature. I cannot comment on similiar looking routers with completely different model numbers.

Message 19 of 49
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Ok, I think I now understand what is meant by auto update. It's auto update to a point. So I get a notification that there is an update. I can choose to do one of two things. Hit the update button and the firmware update is taken out of my hands and the router software does it's thing, or, I choose to manually upload the file from my desktop where I saved the download file and then I can control exactly how the update is carried out. So I obviously chose the second option and did it manually because I deemed that was the safest option.

So the question remains is, have routers somehow gone into auto update completely by themselves? or is there another issue?

Message 20 of 49
swilson317
Star

@Portwey84 wrote:

I've only personally been referring to the R7000 AC1900 model. My router has the auto update feature. I cannot comment on similiar looking routers with completely different model numbers.

Understood. I inadvertently posted the link for the wrong router. 

So I suspect the auto-update feature was added in a firmware update, since it isn't included in the manual. If that is the case, it kind of pisses me off that it was set to on by default. That's really a bad software practice, IMHO! But I guess they are following Microsoft's lead that they know better. <sigh> Don't make invasive changes to my equipment unless I choose to allow them. That's how it should work. ARGH! I feel like Netgear just bricked a bunch of routers! I really hope there is a way to recover from this, or I predict a class action lawsuit. 🙂

Message 21 of 49
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@swilson317  I couldn't agree more regarding certain defaults. Having auto update defaulted to ON is imho, poor practise. Same with WPS, should be an option to disable it, but seemingly there isn't. UPnP also defaulted to ON and I have disabled that.

I'm considering myself fortunate in the circumstances because my router is ok, but I have changed the settings that I feel could cause me potential problems.

I really hope that those who are currently having issues with their hardware, get it sorted soon.

Message 22 of 49
swilson317
Star

Any updates from customer support? Has anyone tried a factory reset? I would rather wait to do that as Plan B unless it will be required to move forward. 🙂  This really sucks. Fortunately, I bypassed the router and connected my work laptop directly to the cable modem as a temp fix, but that still means the rest of the house and WiFi are out.

Message 23 of 49
Downfall
Guide

Nope. I connected my modem to my tower to atleast get a little access. But no wifi in my house, which means my kids can't do thier online schooling as its all app based. So much for escalating
Message 24 of 49
Downfall
Guide

Also, a factory reset does not work. I even did it on the phone with support
Message 25 of 49
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E