My R8500 reboot loop solution

RGerberMO
Follower

My R8500 reboot loop solution

After going through 2 brand new (R8500) devices this week and a ton of troubleshooting, I was able to stop my reboot loop problem.  For me, the problem appears to have been HEAT! 

Both brand new routers exhibited the same behaivor of working for some period of time, then beginning the dreaded reboot loop.  After swapping out for another new unit and trying many different things, I could still not get a solution.  Over the course of several days, I began to notice a pattern of how long the router would work before going into the reboot loop and that it seemed to be related to both ambient air temperature and how long I would leave the unit unplugged.

Given this, I moved the router from the original location, which I will readily acknowledge was warm/hot and had poor air flow, to an open and cooler area.  Since the move the router has been working without any problems.

I can't say that heat is the problem that everyone is facing with the reboot loop, but I will say that the routers do seem to be intolerent of getting hot.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: My R8500 reboot loop solution

Good job.  I've heard of people using laptop coolers on routers to combat heat.  You can consider using one if the original location was better.  You do need to be mindful of dust buildup.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements