My devices (mobile) keeps connecting to WIFI Range extender instead of the router, Nighthawk R700

Buris
Aspirant

My devices (mobile) keeps connecting to WIFI Range extender instead of the router, Nighthawk R700

I have a router Nighthawk R700 on the first floor and an extender EX6200 on the second floor.

Almost all devices (laptops, tablets and phones) connect to the extender insted of the main router and you always have to change.

If the device is connected to the main router and I pass the stairs (7 m to extender and 2 m from the router) it is very likely that it will connect to the externder. It is almost impossible to get it to reconnect to the router without doing it manually.

This is very enoying since the  speed is much lower on the extender compared to the main router.

I have tried to look into the settings but have not found any way of solving this issue.

If I can not solve it I will through it out and by someting else.

Message 1 of 7

Re: My devices (mobile) keeps connecting to WIFI Range extender instead of the router, Nighthawk R7

This may be under the control of the wifi clients you are using.

Your Netgear kit is just spitting out wifi. It does not tell the clients which one to talk to. That is down to them.

Do you have different SSIDs for each source?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
Buris
Aspirant

Re: My devices (mobile) keeps connecting to WIFI Range extender instead of the router, Nighthawk R7

I have different SSIDs. They have always been configured wits different SSID.
Message 3 of 7

Like I said, this may be under the control of the wifi clients you are using.

You need to tell them how to work with different wifi sources. They decide when to move from one source to another. It is not something that the transmitter can control.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
Buris
Aspirant

But I can not find any way of telling my IPhone to preferably connect to a specific network if it exist.
It Always connect to the extender if I'm on the second floor but it Never connect back to the router if I'm on the first floor, even if I'm standing just beside it, extremely enjoying.
Message 5 of 7

Perhaps you need to consulty an iPhone genius. They are the people who know how these things work.

I cannot afford to throw money away on iStuff. I am an Androider.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 7
Buris
Aspirant

This is unfortunately not just an iphone issue alone. The problem occurs on android and on our laptops (windows 7).
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E