Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My internet connection is 300 mbps but my router is doing 49 now?

BrainierGecko3
Aspirant

My internet connection is 300 mbps but my router is doing 49 now?

I thought it was the modem, but speed test shows that without the router, I'm getting between 317 and 343 mbps. With the router, it was 80. Then I unplugged the router and got the solid orange globe. Then I held down the reset button for 30 seconds and pulled out the power supply and then kept holding it down as I plugged the power back in. No orange globe. Now the speed is down to 49. What is going on?

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
antinode
Guru

> Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router

Firmware version?  Connected to what?

> [...] without the router, I'm getting between 317 and 343 mbps. With
> the router, it was 80. [...]

If you have an R6080, then speeds over 100Mb/s would be astounding.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1711958

> [...] What is going on?

I don't know.  Perhaps you should stop trying to invent new
settings-reset methods in attempts to remove a hardware limitation.

Message 2 of 10
BrainierGecko3
Aspirant

Didn't invent it. I found it as a possible solution. I was getting  over 300 mbps just 48 hours ago.

Message 3 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] I was getting over  300 mbps just 48 hours ago.

Through an R6080?  I don't see how.  (Note: "m" = "milli" = 1/1000.
"M" = "mega" = 1000000.)

Message 4 of 10

@BrainierGecko3 wrote:

I was getting  over 300 mbps just 48 hours ago.

Measured how? You may be able to measure 300 Mbps on a local wifi connection, but not out to the Internet.

According to the Data Sheet, the LAN ports in the R6080 are "Fast Ethernet" and can't go faster than 100 Mbps.

The R6080 is a bottom of the range router, even so it is amazing that Netgear produced a device that slow in 2017. If your Internet speed is faster than 100 Mbps, your only option is to replace the router.

Message 5 of 10
gsuburban
Tutor

Is the router connecting to your devices via WiFi or CAT cables ? WiFi will always be slower than a cable connection and it matters if its 2.4 or 5 ghz band with WiFI. Some devices such as smart phones will not reach full download speeds due to WiFi and make of phone as some have lots of power and some phone are weak. Best to test any device with wired connections first and if up to speed, the rest is WiFi interferance and connecting devices, most likely.

Message 6 of 10

@gsuburban wrote:

WiFi will always be slower than a cable connection and it matters if its 2.4 or 5 ghz band with WiFI.

Up to a point.

The issue here is that the modem cannot go faster than 100 Mbps with an Internet connection.

When it comes to the wifi, it may be possible to make a measurement faster than that between two devices on the local wifi network. But you won't get more than 100 Mbps with wifi that connects to the outside world with the internet.

Message 7 of 10
gsuburban
Tutor

The 10/100 hardware is old stuff and should be replaced with 10/100/1000 LAN ports and if you are a cable customer, check into channel bonding and buy a modem that supports the highest channel bonding such as 32x8 and is no less than DOCSIS 3.0. If you rent the ISP modem, they should upgrade you to their newest modem at no cost. Some of this information is avaialbe on your ISP website. You will of course benefit with faster speeds and also with more security advantages with newer hardware. Modems tend to be outdate after 5 years of age. Have you logged into the firmware on this router to confirm settings?

Message 8 of 10
gsuburban
Tutor

@Michael 

This router has 100 mbps LAN ports and 300+ mbps WiFi speeds. He says his modem flows 300+ mbps so the Netgear device is slowing him down for some reason. 49 mbps on a LAN port is too slow and I didn't see him say if he was useing LAN or WiFi for that speed result.

Message 9 of 10

@gsuburban wrote:

@Michael 

He says his modem flows 300+ mbps so the Netgear device is slowing him down for some reason.

That reason is that the Netgear device cannot handle 300 Mbps.

I am not the only one who says this. See above. And read the manual.

By all means look for the missing 50 Mbps, or 30 Mbps, but forget about trying to squeeze anything over 100 Mbps out of this device. It won't work.

It seems to be a pointless exercise faffing around with a 100 Mbps router when your internet speed is "between 317 and 343" Mbps.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7