× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N7900-100NS and Nighthawk Mesh x6s IP Issues

Nathan4wvu1986
Aspirant

N7900-100NS and Nighthawk Mesh x6s IP Issues

In January 2018 I purchased my n7900 and it's been great so far with my only complaint being it's range. So about a month ago, on Prime Day, I purchased the Nighthawk Mesh X6S Extender and that's when all the issues started. My wife's Mac products (which I hate) struggle to connect. They say "no IP" or "self assigned IP" or if they do connect they say "Another  device on your network is using the same IP address". My android devices, TVs, Nest products, and work PC seem to be OK. I contacted Netgear and they were basically no help. They had me reset it which didn't help. As soon as I unplug the extender everthing connects instantly. 

Any ideas? 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: N7900-100NS and Nighthawk Mesh x6s IP Issues

@Nathan4wvu1986 wrote:

I purchased the Nighthawk Mesh X6S Extender

What model?

@Nathan4wvu1986 wrote:

My wife's Mac products (which I hate) struggle to connect. They say "no IP" or "self assigned IP" or if they do connect they say "Another  device on your network is using the same IP address". My android devices, TVs, Nest products, and work PC seem to be OK.

Does look like an Mac thing. How does she connect? Wifi? Told the Mac to forget the wifi connection and reconnected from scratch?

Message 2 of 10
Nathan4wvu1986
Aspirant

EX8000-100NAS is the manufacturer model of the extender.

I'm going to back up and change this just a little. Last night when I plugged it in my TV wouldn't connect and the TV is hard wired to the router not the extender. Soon as I unplugged the extender the TV connected. The Mac devices, I've tried everything including setting them up on static IP. It's like when then extender connects it won't let anything not already connected to the modem connect.
Message 3 of 10
Nathan4wvu1986
Aspirant

She connects via WiFi and I have tried to release, reset, and delete the wifi connection from the Mac. Nothing worked.
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Is the EX8000 in extender mode or AP mode?

Have you limited the DHCP server's address range to exclude any static IP addresses?  Note that I mean device-configured static IP addresses, not reserved addresses in the router. 

Is it still possible to exchange the extender at Amazon?

Message 5 of 10
Nathan4wvu1986
Aspirant

It is running in extender mode, not access point.

As for limiting the number of IPs, unless that's a default setting in either the router or the extender I'm not. Both are running default settings aside from the Wifi name and password. Currently, looking at Netgear Genie I have 19 devices connected to the main router and 1 connected to the extender. 

Message 6 of 10
Nathan4wvu1986
Aspirant

I pulled the dump level and Amazon as always took care of it. I contacted their product support and they're sending out a new unit. Piss pore service on Netgears part. I registered this 3 weeks ago, purchased on 8/17/2018 and they have the SN marked for zero support. 

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Hopefully the replacement from Amazon will resolve it.

@Nathan4wvu1986 wrote:

As for limiting the number of IPs, unless that's a default setting in either the router or the extender I'm not.

It's a router setting,and it wouldn't be default.

If you are using (for example) a 192.168.1.x network, then usually your router's DHCP service will grab 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254.  The router has no idea what static addresses you've assigned, and it will assume that it can assign any address in it's range.

So if you use static addresses, you need to go into the router and ensure that there's a block of IP addresses that the DHCP service won't use.  For instance, start the DHCP service at 192.168.1.100 - giving you the plenty of static addresses, and making it easy to separate static from dynamic.

Though a better strategy is to use only DHCP and reserve addresses in the router.  That centralizes the IP address management to one device, and it also is more robust.  For instance, if you change to a new router that uses 192.168.0.x, all your static devices become unreachable.  If you reserve addresses, they will still connect (just with a different address).

There is another cause of duplicate IP addresses though.  If you reboot the router, it will clear it's address assignments.  If some devices remain connected (through a switch or an extender) they might continue to use their old address (and the router might assign it to someone else). 

Not getting an IP address in the first place suggests that the extender->router connection wasn't solid.  If you see that with the new extender too, then look at the router link indication on the extender.  

Message 8 of 10
Nathan4wvu1986
Aspirant

So the new unit from Amazon did not correct the problem. Tonight I noticed the main wifi router is running in access point mode. I guess it's been that way for months. Do you think that could cause the issue? Tomorrow I'm going to do a factory reset on the router to see if that corrects the issue. Connecting all my nest products back will be a pain, but it's my only option at this point.

Message 9 of 10

@Nathan4wvu1986 wrote:

Tonight I noticed the main wifi router is running in access point mode.

Huh?

Kind of makes a difference.

Did we ever determine what else was on this network? The modem? Maybe it is also playing router which is why the second router is in AP mode,

Looks like you might do well to go back and set the network up from scratch.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7