Re: NAS drive as home network media storage

SgtSlick
Aspirant

NAS drive as home network media storage

I have a 1TB LaCie external hard drive hooked up via usb to my Nightwhawk R7000 router. Right now it's setup as a Basic Share device. I would like to try and use it as a media server for the home network and store numerous movie mp4 files that I currently have on a small My Passport 2 TB external drive which is connected to Samsung UHD 4K smart TV via usb/hdmi. Would be ideal to have access to those movies from any of my other smaller smart TV's in my home via my home network and the NAS drive.

I currently have a Vizio smart TV in the bedroom but it doesn't "see" the NAS drive. I do have a Roku player hooked up to that TV however. If a media player app was downloaded to the Roku might that be able to see the NAS drive and access and stream them to the Vizio via the Roku.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Which firmware version? NETGEAR has removed miniDLNA in the most recent firmware versions (going back 2 versions I think) to make space for Armor

Also, routers are poor at managing movie/music/photo collections. Use the right tool for the job which is a NAS system. You'll get much more flexability

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 5
SgtSlick
Aspirant

Thanks for your response and recommendation. May I ask what you're referring to as a NAS system?

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

NAS = Network Attached Storage - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

It's basically a modified computer with place for an X amount of disks. Most popular brands are QNAP, NETGEAR, ASUSTOR and Synology, that offer from 1 up to 8 drive bays. A NAS system is perfectly suited for all your media and backups. It gets attached to your router and has an interface as well just like a router. Most brands offer a lot of options to configure (DLNA, Samba, NFS, RAID, etc)

You can either buy a complete NAS from some brand like QNAP/Synology, or build one yourself like I did. A computer filled with disks running on minimal install of Linux with the tools I require (SSH, rsync, DLNA and NFS)

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 5
SgtSlick
Aspirant

Great amount of helpful information. Thanks much microchip8. Appreciate your time and help.

I'll look into them.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E