Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAT Loopback on R9000 and QNAP´s DDNS

nickiman
Star

NAT Loopback on R9000 and QNAP´s DDNS

Hi,
According with this article NAT Loopback should work in my R9000 router.

But I can´t reach to my DDNS domain of my QNAP NAS from my local network... Is there anyway to enable it?

I´ve disabled Dynamic DNS feature in the router. But, it doesn´t work also even configured and enabled it.

I´m running AFAIK the latest firmware of R9000: V1.0.5.14

In the manual it doesn´t mention some option regarding that.

Keep waiting your comments.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: NAT Loopback on R9000 and QNAP´s DDNS

@nickiman wrote:

It does work in general.

Ignore everything about DDNS - you can run this where ever you want, you can rund DDNS (of course for different services) on the router, multiple NAS, where ever. The name(s) used are not relevant - the IP address resolved is, this is where the connection goes to.

@nickiman wrote:

But I can´t reach to my DDNS domain of my QNAP NAS from my local network... Is there anyway to enable it?

I´ve disabled Dynamic DNS feature in the router. But, it doesn´t work also even configured and enabled it.

For a test, forward 8080/TCP to the QNAP ... or e.g. SSH 22/TCP ... and you might agree on what I wrote above.

However, 443/TCP does not work at all! On might think that active services on the R9000 block the access. However, even if moving the https LAN acess away from 443/TCP, even if re-configuring the ReadyShare https access to a diferent port ... https to a forwarded system like the QNAP don't work. Neither as NAT loopback nor as a real access from abroad.

Either the R9000 does continue using or reserving the port 433/TCP for what ever, or some iptables are blocking 443/TCP - so no https on the default port.

Some more fun? Try the myQNAPcloud Automatic Router Configuration for https 443/TCP ... the R9000 does accept the setting, and does report it back if UPnP queried. In the case of other ports (say 8080/TCP for example), if the port is already occupied by manual port forwarding or by UPnP PMP, there will eb an error reported to the PMP control, and e.g. the QNAP NAS does try higher ports like 8081 or 8082 it will create a port forwarding for 8082 on the WAN to 8080 on the LAN IP. This works - however the NAT loopback does not.

Seen that many times. Reported this many times to Netgear. Answered on the QNAP Community several similar posts the last 15 years or so.

It's 100% a Netgear issue. The issue exists on many more Netgear routers, too.

Netgear consumer routers are ********* because the firmware desing and implementation s**s. And Netgear does gives a s**t about.

Now shout, cry, or whatever. But please don't forget to remove the test port forwards again please 8-)

@Christian_R even years after the R9000 (and many other routers) are launched, years after I had repeatedly posted these isues - there is still nothing fixed. It's so disappointing.

Don't know if Voxel has fixed these two issues or not - I insist that Netgear has to fix thier bugware. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] my R9000 router.

Which is connected to what?

> But I can't reach to my DDNS domain of my QNAP NAS from my local
> network...

How, exactly, are you trying to "reach" your (unspecified) "my QNAP
NAS"?

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say
what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

What is the public IP address to which your (unspecified) "my DDNS
domain" is resolved?

What is the IP address of the WAN/Internet interface of the R9000?
ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address

Do those IP addresses match?  If you're worried about revealing
secrets, then the top half, "a.b" out of "a.b.c.d", would satisfy my
curiosity.  Is that address a private/non-routable address?  (If it's
not obvious, then plug it into the form at: https://whois.arin.net/ .)

Have you configured any port forwarding on the R9000?

Message 2 of 8
nickiman
Star

Hi @antinode 

Even looking a little bit rough... Thanks for your post. I´ll try to reply all your questions mentioned. I´m starting with this router... so please be patiente with me Smiley Happy

@antinode wrote:

> [...] my R9000 router.

Which is connected to what?

The QNAP NAS is connected to LAN port 1 in the router and router is connected to the ONT of my ISP provider. This is the connection topology:

Internet -> ONT -> (WAN) R9000 (Port 1) -> QNAP NAS.

How, exactly, are you trying to "reach" your (unspecified) "my QNAP
NAS"?

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say
what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

According with the Netgear´s KB article linked in my previous post... the NAT loopback feature enables the use of my domain web address inside of my local LAN network... So, I´m trying to "reach" my server using my own QNAP´s domain at home where is my R9000 placed.

My network configuration is the next:
192.168.1.0 /25 having the .1 in the router; .10 in the QNAP NAS and .15 in the laptop where I´m facing this issue.

So, what I´m trying to do is open a web browser (Firefox) in my laptop and write in the address bar: https://myservername.myqnapcloud.com

When I do that, nothing happens and after some time I get a time out in the page saying that there is a problem loading the page:

nat_loopback_connection_issue.PNG

I would like to be more helpful with this problem but I don´t know what more to say... LEDs that you´re talking about are always in normal condition in the router. And, if you tell me something else to take a look, I´ll include it.

What is the public IP address to which your (unspecified) "my DDNS
domain" is resolved?

What is the IP address of the WAN/Internet interface of the R9000?
ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address

Do those IP addresses match?  If you're worried about revealing
secrets, then the top half, "a.b" out of "a.b.c.d", would satisfy my
curiosity.  Is that address a private/non-routable address?  (If it's
not obvious, then plug it into the form at: https://whois.arin.net/ .)

I´m not going to share my public IP address in this forum for security reasons... but I can assure you that the resolved IP address of my QNAP´s DDNS domain is the same public IP address that I see in the Internet IP address in my router. I´m totally sure of that.

Regarding if the address is a private/non-routable address I can assure to you also that the Internet IP address is a public address.

Have you configured any port forwarding on the R9000?

Yes, I have configured port forwarding via UPnP protocol from the QNAP NAS to the router and also manually from the Port forwarding / Port triggering section.

Keep waiting your feedback and thanks again.

Message 3 of 8
antinode
Guru

> 192.168.1.0 /25 [...]

"/25" or "/24"?  What is the actual netmask?

> I would like to be more helpful with this problem [...]

Better answers to questions might help.  For example:

> [...] If you're worried about revealing secrets, then the top half,
> "a.b" out of "a.b.c.d", would satisfy my curiosity. [...]

> I'm not going to share my public IP address in this forum for security
> reasons... [...]

Not very responsive.  But let's pretend.

> [...] I have configured port forwarding via UPnP protocol from the
> QNAP NAS to the router [...]

I don't know what that means.

> [...] and also manually from the Port forwarding / Port triggering
> section.

Saying that you did something is much less helpful than saying what
you did.  What, exactly, are your (invisible) port-forwarding rules?

Doing one thing one way, correctly, often works better than doing one
thing two ways.  Configuring port forwarding is usually pretty reliable.

> [...] As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual
> results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than
> vague descriptions or interpretations.

Which part of "actual" was unclear?

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@nickiman wrote:

It does work in general.

Ignore everything about DDNS - you can run this where ever you want, you can rund DDNS (of course for different services) on the router, multiple NAS, where ever. The name(s) used are not relevant - the IP address resolved is, this is where the connection goes to.

@nickiman wrote:

For a test, forward 8080/TCP to the QNAP ... or e.g. SSH 22/TCP ... and you might agree on what I wrote above.

However, 443/TCP does not work at all! On might think that active services on the R9000 block the access. However, even if moving the https LAN acess away from 443/TCP, even if re-configuring the ReadyShare https access to a diferent port ... https to a forwarded system like the QNAP don't work. Neither as NAT loopback nor as a real access from abroad.

Either the R9000 does continue using or reserving the port 433/TCP for what ever, or some iptables are blocking 443/TCP - so no https on the default port.

Some more fun? Try the myQNAPcloud Automatic Router Configuration for https 443/TCP ... the R9000 does accept the setting, and does report it back if UPnP queried. In the case of other ports (say 8080/TCP for example), if the port is already occupied by manual port forwarding or by UPnP PMP, there will eb an error reported to the PMP control, and e.g. the QNAP NAS does try higher ports like 8081 or 8082 it will create a port forwarding for 8082 on the WAN to 8080 on the LAN IP. This works - however the NAT loopback does not.

Seen that many times. Reported this many times to Netgear. Answered on the QNAP Community several similar posts the last 15 years or so.

It's 100% a Netgear issue. The issue exists on many more Netgear routers, too.

Netgear consumer routers are ********* because the firmware desing and implementation s**s. And Netgear does gives a s**t about.

Now shout, cry, or whatever. But please don't forget to remove the test port forwards again please 8-)

@Christian_R even years after the R9000 (and many other routers) are launched, years after I had repeatedly posted these isues - there is still nothing fixed. It's so disappointing.

Don't know if Voxel has fixed these two issues or not - I insist that Netgear has to fix thier bugware. 

Message 5 of 8
nickiman
Star

Thanks @schumaku I´m totally agree with you!!

Yesterday night I´ve swapped the R9000 with my ISPs router and everything started to work again. It´s incredible I can´t believe it... in the begining I was guessing that was a problem with the QNAP NAS since I´ve changed some settings in the virtual switch and configure a Port Trunking 802.3ad on it... but no, it´s not that, it´s the Netgear router!!.

I´ll talk with Amazon for a refund.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@nickiman wrote:

I´ll talk with Amazon for a refund.

That's the said part. Resellers and customers are loosing money, Netgear "fans" are loosing reputation under friends, and finally Netgear does massively loose reputation due to the poor consumer business unit firmware quality overall impacting also thier business market. The R9000 and it's cousin R8900 and the gaming XR700 make up a very unique platform, these make Negear's top-of-the line 802.11ac routers. Just wrapping the outdated and cumbersome router design from early 1990ties with most likley almost impossible to maintain code on what could serve as an amazing flexible application platform can't be the plan. Both the base platform OS as well as the powerful DumaOS could make much more out of it. When I think what QNAP made out of the same chipset series, see eg. the TS-332X ...

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

So where is Netgear please? @Christian_R  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements