NEED HELP ASAP

pjdizzle94
Aspirant

NEED HELP ASAP

We recently switched internet providers to spectrum from at&t. My parents house is pretty large so we use 2 nighthawks as access points to get strong WiFi throughout the house.

After switching over providers the night hawks could only get internet when directly plugged into the new modem. I thought okay let’s redo the process.

I reset the modems to factory settings. Plug them in set up the access point like last time because I thought maybe it needed to recognize the new modem/service. After all that I plug them back to their original locations and they still don’t get internet connection.

Any idea what to do? Sorry if it’s obvious. Never set it up. Thought it seemed pretty self explanatory though. Unplug everything. Plug everything. Router login. Access point enabled.

Anything im missing?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Re: NEED HELP ASAP

What is the Modem? Is it bridged if it is capable of Wifi too?

On the R8000 on the Basic Internet page is it set to get the Internet IP Address from the ISP and that you do not need a login? Same for DNS and use the default MAC address?

Message 2 of 8
pjdizzle94
Aspirant

i have login required as no

and all the other ones set as automatic but still nothing works 

Message 3 of 8
IrvSp
Master

You didn't answer the first questions.

Make and model of the modem. Is it bridged? And I'll add another one, how are they connected? From what modem port to the router port? Also, do you even know the cable is good? Does the Internet LED light...

Message 4 of 8
pjdizzle94
Aspirant

So I have a normal modem that they provided that only provides wired internet then a my spectrumwifi router. The nighthawk only gets internet when it’s connected to their myspectrum router and not directly into their modem. Not sure if that helps. The spectrum router and modem don’t really have a name on it unfortunately.

Internet works perfectly if it’s connected directly to their router. If I unplug it and move it to the other room like it was originally in directly to that rooms Ethernet port, it no longer works. It could be simple. I’ve just never installed it on my own (tech installed it with my sister when I wasn’t home last time)
Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

So you need to put your router into AP mode if you connect to another router.

You should still be able to read lables on the Spectrum devices and determine what they are?

It isn't 'wise' to have 2 different routers handle wireless signal either.

Message 6 of 8
pjdizzle94
Aspirant

I have put it in to ap mode

Ideally I wouldn’t have it connected into a router and it would be directly into the modem. But for some reason doesn’t work for get internet that way.

Sorry figured it out. Model number of the modem is e31n2v1
Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

What you have is a Hitron eMTA E31N2V1 modem. Seems you have phone service as well.

Have you tried calling Spectrum on this? Suspect a connection problem, using wrong ports possibly?

If this is the manual, https://fccid.io/2AHKM-CODA4589/User-Manual/User-Manual-3461538.iframe, it doesn't show how to connect to a router. Does show some IP Addresses that must be used and that might be part of the problem. Again, I'd call Spectrum and ask how to connect your router to it and how to turn off wireless.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E