Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK ROUTER AC3200 MODEL # R8000

Superjax1981
Follower

NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK ROUTER AC3200 MODEL # R8000

Hello NETGEAR community...

I am from Nebraska and i am having trouble getting my parents router to connect to one of their cell phones. I'm not sure of the exact model phone they have but it is a Jitterbug 2 smart phone.  A basic android phone.  

When they got their new cell phones in March, was able to get their router to connect to Wifi.  It worked for awhile to wear their cell phone would connect to wifi then it wouldn't and i wasn't able to get to connect again.

Earlier this afternoon around 1/1:30pm here in Nebraska, i could Netgear customer support.  I was able to get the wifi again to connect to their cell phone after i had shut off the phone and restarted it.  The wifi worked for awhile.

Again tonight about 8:30, same thing, can't get their cell phone to connect to wifi.

I tried to shut off the phone and restart it, i tried shutting off the router for about 20 seconds and rebooting it. Still i can't get their phone to connect to wifi.

Im not having much luck with Netgear customer service as they haven't been helping all that great and i'm out of ideas on what to do.

As for my personal devices....laptop, my cell phone, tablet...those will connect to their wifi just fine. It's just their cell phone that won't.  

What is going on?? What am i doing wrong?  This is so frusterating. Anyone who can be of assistance and help me out...thankyou in advance.

Please email me any advice and suggestions to try.  My personal email address is jaybirdss81@yahoo.com

Thankyou,

Jay

Message 1 of 2

Re: NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK ROUTER AC3200 MODEL # R8000

@Superjax1981 wrote:

When they got their new cell phones in March, was able to get their router to connect to Wifi.  It worked for awhile to wear their cell phone would connect to wifi then it wouldn't and i wasn't able to get to connect again.

It helps to think about this in the right way. Your router does not connect to the wifi. The phone connects to the wifi from the router. So your first port of call should be support for the phone.

This is an important clue:

@Superjax1981 wrote:

As for my personal devices....laptop, my cell phone, tablet...those will connect to their wifi just fine. It's just their cell phone that won't.  

The router won't pick on your phones and kick them off the wifi. If other things work, then the phones are the problem unless you have some sort of error that tracks back to the router.

When  you say "wasn't able to get to connect", these things usually throw an error message of some sort. Wrong password, for example, is a clue.

What firmware version do you have on the router?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

@Superjax1981 wrote:

Please email me any advice and suggestions to try.  My personal email address is xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

No can do. (And for your own security don't throw your email address around the place.) This is a user-to-user self support group, not an email help line.

Just keep coming back and see what people suggest. You can even get this community to send you an email when someone  answers.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7