Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk 11AC 2200 without WPS

andyamstrad
Tutor

NETGEAR Nighthawk 11AC 2200 without WPS

Hi 

I am trying to setup the Netgear WIFI Extender without WPS (Router does not have a WPS button).

When I look for the Netgear default SSID in WIFI Connections, it is not available only two SSIDs with suffixes _2GEXT and _5GEXT.  These are from the previous setup when I did have a router with WPS (Virgin now switched to Sky).  Trying to connect to these two will only prompt for a password which would be the password for the old Virgin Router.

I have performed a Netgear Extender "Factory Reset", bu these are still listed and I cannnot seem to get rid of them.  And again the default SSID for setup of the Extender without WPS is not listed.

Please help.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
andyamstrad
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk 11AC 2200 without WPS

I tried holding for 30 seconds and it worked!!  Seems you have to press longer than is specified.

Thanks for your help, I am all up an running now. 🙂

Would like to say thankyou for a great forum.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you factory reset, did you push and hold for 7-15 seconds while the device is powered on? 

Many just click the button. It needs to be held long enough the lights on the extender flash/change

Message 2 of 7
andyamstrad
Tutor

Yes I used a paperclip to hold the reset buitton for at least 15 seconds.  The light flashed amber rqapidly and then changed to green.  I can see the old SSIDs  in the WIFI connections list and not the NETGEAR_EXT SSID which is used to setup the extender with WPA.  I have tried several times now.  Sounds like the reset is not happening?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

sounds like it. 

You can try pushing for up to 30 seconds. 

If that doesn't work, and you can still connect to it with the old password, try logging into it.

In the browser settings page theres an option to erase it from there

or re-run setup using the browser

Message 4 of 7
andyamstrad
Tutor

I tried holding for 30 seconds and it worked!!  Seems you have to press longer than is specified.

Thanks for your help, I am all up an running now. 🙂

Would like to say thankyou for a great forum.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad it took care of the issue. '

If you mark it solved, it might help the next person

Message 6 of 7
andyamstrad
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk 11AC 2200 without WPS SOLVED

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors