NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000-100NAS)

SgtSlick
Aspirant

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000-100NAS)

Considering this router for a home network and heard it was rated favorably as a router for gaming. Currently using an Apple Airport Extreme with Comcast cable modem in a Mac Centric home network. I do a lot of online gaming (Battlefield 4) on a Macpro 2013 using Boot Camp running WIndows 8.1 Pro. My Comcast download speeds using speedtest are in the neighborhood of 150 to 170 Mbs, yet logged into the server browser for the game, only about 3 or 4 servers show ping times under 100. I suspect the lack of configurable options with the Airport Extreme could be one of the reasons.  Previous to this Airport I had an older Airport Extreme and I would have at least a dozen or more servers with ping times between 30 and 70. This new one is the vertical box shaped one and is 802.11ac rated. Also I'm living in a split level home with the router and modem in the lower level and when upstairs in the middle level of the home using my Macpro laptop wirelessly it seems slow. The previous Airport was 802.11n  and I'd have to say all my connections seemed faster.

In addition to acquiring the new Airport Extreme last Winter when the old one died Comcast then introduced their new combination router/modem's which I hooked up and I had them enable bridge mode so I could continue to use the Airport. Everything I've read as far as gaming is it's better to have a separate router and a separate modem as it allows for more user control. All this being said, I'm going to try out the Nighthawk and juts wanted to knwo how difficult it is to configure from the Mac OS (running El Capitan). I'm assuming I'd access the router form a browser using it's IP address then configuring from there. Any advice or tips is most welcome. Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000-100NAS)

If you are happy to configure a router using its web interface, then there should be no difference in using a MAC compared to a Microsoft or Linux based computer.

I use a Cable ISP in the UK with their own provided Hub (a Netgear modem/router combo) configured as modem only, this connects to a Linksys wired router, and then to a number of Netgear routers which I have set up in AP mode.

That’s my preferred setup, I like to separate modem / router / AP, and this has suited my purposes fine so far as it allows me greater configuration options, and the ability to swap out one device without severely disrupting the network. Recently I changed from a Draytek router to the Linksys (with some pre-configuration) in a period of just a few minutes without killing the entire network. That’s not quite so easy with a single modem/router/AP box.

Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E