Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 Router AC1900 - Help needed for NAS USB storage

nowhere2010
Aspirant

NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 Router AC1900 - Help needed for NAS USB storage

Here is my connection details:
Rogers GB/Ignite Modem (ISP modem in Bridge mode) LAN connected to Eero Pro6 and then other 2 Mesh nodes connected Via ethernet cable in other floors.
Now, i am trying to setup a simple NAS using a Netgear (R7000 model) roter ONLY to use external HDs hooked to its USB ports as Rogers modem does not have USB port.
Hooked Netgear router first to my Rogers Modem (in Bridge mode already) via ethernet cable and then take another ethernet cable connect netgear to my Laptop. Then powered on my Netgear, Factory reset.
After waiting for a few minutes, tried http://192.168.0.1 in my laptop, got a Netgear setup screen/prompt, followed some steps and enabled ONLY as Access point as that was the closest relevant option I can see as I only want USB storage/shared from this Router not WIFI.
Suddenly upon continuation those steps, it could not access anything and got stuck.
In my laptop command prompt, now I cannot see any longer Default gateway as 192.168.1.0 but Now I see '10.0.0.1"
Tried accessing http://10.0.0.1 in my browser but it throws attached screen saying Rogers as obviously that is attempting/connected to Rogers Modem login.
Help needed now:
what exactly now I should do to proceed setting up my Netgear router so i can login to it, enable USB/shared access or whatever and disable its wifi (if enabled)?

Or, is there any other method to make this ext HD NAS other than connecting to my Rogers modem?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 Router AC1900 - Help needed for NAS USB storage

Do a factory reset. At the back there's a Reset button. Press in for 5-7 seconds and release

Do note that Access Point mode does not support USB disks

Message 2 of 4
nowhere2010
Aspirant

Hi,

thank you. I proceeded with Router setup and now here is the new problem

-My ISP Modem Lan connected to this Netgear->Lan connected to one laptop1

My ISP modem is in Bridge mode

All my home devices are already connected to WIFI from Eero Pro 6 mesh system

From laptop1, i hit http://192.168.1.1 and then using admin login, see 2 HDs connected to my Netgear USB ports under USB sharing with a network path created and shared mode.

Then if i try in same laptop1 "\\readyshare" , i see those 2 hard drives without any issues. 

Until this step, all good. 

BTW, i disabled WIFI in this netgear router and changed dynamic to static IP address.

Now, from my another laptop2 (WIFI connected to my Eero Pro 6), if i try to map that netgear IP or name, it does not work and keep saying not found. 

Please help me how exactly I can now access those 2 hard drives from my another laptop or other devices. 

Message 3 of 4

@nowhere2010 wrote:

-My ISP Modem Lan connected to this Netgear->Lan connected to one laptop1

My ISP modem is in Bridge mode

All my home devices are already connected to WIFI from Eero Pro 6 mesh system

A bit of a mess.

If the modem is in bridge mode, and you want to use the USB ports on the R7000, then the obvious move is to use the R7000 as the main router and put the Eero Pro 6 mesh system into access point mode. (I assume that this is possible.) The Eero will then work as the wifi "workhorse" in your network while the R7000 handles the wired stuff and the USB. All of the home devices will happily connect to the Eero.

I have a similar setup

>>Netgear modem (DM200) > Netgear Router (R7800)> Netgear AP (Orbi)

You can turn off the wifi from the R7000 if it gets in the way. (I don't bother, but I do have separate SSIDs.)

I then use the R7800 to host a stack of USB drives (two plus "satellites" on the main USBs), and an eSATA drive. Works fine, especially over ReadyCLOUD.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7