NETGEAR Nighthawk R8000 Slow Upload/Download Speed

Jzimm82
Guide

NETGEAR Nighthawk R8000 Slow Upload/Download Speed

I have a R8000 NETGEAR Nighthawk Router which is supposed to be capable of 1GB WAN connection to my ISP. I’ve had my ISP technician to the house, verified cables, connections and 200Mbps/10Mbps from the modem to the router. However using Cat5e wired or WiFi the speed checks return 64Mbps/4Mbps when the router is connected. Is there a setting on the router somewhere to control this? Is my router broken or not performing as intended? Anyone else having the same issues?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
myersw
Master

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk R8000 Slow Upload/Download Speed

Is QoS on? If so turn it and any other traffic settings off.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@Jzimm82 wrote:
I’ve had my ISP technician to the house, verified cables, connections and 200Mbps/10Mbps from the modem to the router. However using Cat5e wired or WiFi the speed checks return 64Mbps/4Mbps when the router is connected.

OK, how did you determine the speed?

When you test speed on the QoS page (it doesn't have to be enabled) what does it show?

What is the wired and wireless device and what network adapter are they using?

What is the cable between the router and wired device?

Are ALL 3 wireless bands giving the same speed results?

What is the Security you are using for the wireless?

How far away are the devices from the router?

Is the modem new or just the service you are getting? Has BOTH the modem and router been rebooted in order?

I assume that you verification you were getting the ISP speed purchased was done wit a wired device direct connected to the modem and speed tested? Was the MODEM turned off and rebooted before connecting back to the router?

Message 3 of 8
Jzimm82
Guide

Turning off QoS helps but with multiple game consoles, TVs, phones and computers in the house I almost need it to prioritize traffic.
Message 4 of 8
Jzimm82
Guide

QoS speed said 64/4 when I ran the test. Also same speed no matter wired or WiFi sitting in the same room. ISP Tech verified 209/11 coming out of the router using CAT5e which is what I’m using for all cables in the entire house. Since the QoS has auto detect with speed test I turned that off and entered the actual speed that the technician verified 209/11 and now I’m getting 98/11 with QoS on. No new service or modem just called them out to check since we were supposed to be getting 200/10. Also no issues with distance from router I have an extender directly wired to the router which resides on the other side of the house. QoS is the issue along with the automatically tested speed when configuring QoS which returns a much lower bandwidth result.
Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Parental Controls and Traffic Meter can slow you down. If they are on, turn them off.

Netgear has sort of changed the QoS function to Dynamic, that is you really don't have control. I'd test to see if you really need it. It still doesn't explain why you are not getting full speed though?

What f/w are you running?

Wondering if a device is loading the speed down? If you disconnect ALL devices (turn off would be good) and remove from the router ports all but one PC, what is the speed test on the Internet showing?

Message 6 of 8
Jzimm82
Guide

Firmware is the latest and when the tech was here he hooked up one of their routers eliminating our router from the mix, which gave us the full speeds. He ran the speed test from his device from the modem then from one of the ports directly connected to router, with everything else unplugged and got the 64/4 instead of 209/11. Parental controls and traffic meter are off
Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Did you ever RESET the router? Basically wipe it clean?

If not, take screenshots of the settings you changed from default, as a RESET will wipe those out and return you to initialized state. On the BACKUP SETTINGS (Advanced tab, Adminstration, Backup Settings) page a REVERT TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS which does the same as RESET using the 'hidden' button. Do that. Without changing ANY settings, connect ONLY the wired device and do a speed test. If OK, start changing your settings (do this manually, do NOT reload a saved configuration file. If you 'really' have a lot of setting to set, you can take a chance and load the configuration file back in and test, but if the speed should drop after that, it had to be a setting or combination of them that is causing the problem. In that case, do the factory reset again and manually set them testing every few time to see what happens. There is a good chance that after you re-enter all manually you will have top speed, possible one setting was corrupt in NVRAM.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements