Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR R6700v3 hardwire connection slows down with CAT6 compared to CAT5e

OneSpellWizard
Aspirant

NETGEAR R6700v3 hardwire connection slows down with CAT6 compared to CAT5e

As the title says, I have a strange situation with my download speed. I'm paying for 1gbps (gigabit) from Wave. For each speed I list here, I have tested it at least 2 times each on fast.com, speedtest.com, and google's speed test.

I have factory reset my router and reupdated to the latest firmware. QoS is off (if I turn it on, it slows down the speeds).

• When I hardwire my desktop into my Arris Surfboard SB8200 modem with my 50 ft CAT6 cable, I get ~900mbps, which is great!
  • After I plug in my NETGEAR R6700v3 router to the modem using CAT5e, and my CAT6 cable for my desktop I get ~200 mbps
  • If I swap the Router -> Desktop connection to a CAT 5e cable, my speed tests jump to 800 mbps down.

Are there known issues if a different cable is used from modem -> router, and router -> desktop?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR R6700v3 hardwire connection slows down with CAT6 compared to CAT5e

Some devices are more sensitive than others to sketchy cat 5e cables. I'd be guessing that cable is boarderline. 

Message 2 of 8
OneSpellWizard
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply! Sorry if it wasnt clear, I swapped the CAT6 cable (which already was able to get gigabit speeds if desktop plugged directly to the modem) for a CAT5e cable between desktop and router. The modem to router CAT5e cable was unchanged.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Try factory resetting the r6700. after the reset, during the install process,make sure to leave qos, access control, parental controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled

Message 4 of 8
OneSpellWizard
Aspirant

I did the factory reset and getting the same issue as before. Even with a CAT 5e cable, it's still ~200mbps slower  (~500-600 mbps) than a direct connect of the Desktop to the Modem (~800mbps)

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

How are you testing the speed?

Message 6 of 8
OneSpellWizard
Aspirant

Each time I test I do

1. 2 tests on fast.com
  2. 4 tests on speedtest.net