Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR R7800 FIRMWARE v1.0.2.82

JayboH
Apprentice

Just updated it.

Works perfectly fine so far in Router mode from what I can tell.

Sure enough, some stuff is now missing, none of which I used anyway.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 26 of 44

@JayboH wrote:

Just updated it.

Works perfectly fine so far in Router mode from what I can tell.

Sure enough, some stuff is now missing, none of which I used anyway.

Thanks for taking the plunge and reporting back.

If it isn't too much trouble, if you use them, can you let us know if such features as Anywhere Access, ReadyCLOUD and ReadySHARE still work?

I've have never used Live Parental Controls, so that is non great loss. In any case Netgear and OpenDNS will part company at the end of the year. So even if a router's firmware still supports Live Parental Controls it won't work.

Message 27 of 44
JayboH
Apprentice

I apologize, I do not use any of those features.  I port forward one device, use BeamForming and MU-MIMO, and have everything else cranked with QoS intentionally turned off.  That's about it really.

Message 28 of 44

I donlt exp[evct nay problems, but the release notes

@JayboH wrote:

I apologize, I do not use any of those features.  I port forward one device, use BeamForming and MU-MIMO, and have everything else cranked with QoS intentionally turned off.  That's about it really.

No problem. I was just being lazy.

It is easy enough to backtrack, so I'll try to give it a go myself and report back.

I don't expect any problems, but the release notes aren't as clear as they could be. (No surprise there then.)

Message 29 of 44

Looks like all is well with ReadyCLOUD, ReadySHARE and Anywhere Access.

I can even get into the router's GUI with a browser on a mobile device on wifi.

I'm still trying to work out what they mean by "remote GUI access".

Message 30 of 44
cappy82
Aspirant

I am having the same issues as paillassou. I use my R7800 in AP mode and any firmware I've tried beyond .68 causes the device to lose wifi and/or reboot randomly. 

I can't speak to using it in router mode as I do not use it as a router anymore.

Message 31 of 44
kstotlani
Star

Can you imagine I have two of these and both are in AP mode. I know NETGEAR reads these forums so please be aware that we are all talking here but we will speak with our wallet when it comes to deciding the next router upgrade. I am also the resident expert for a large group of friends. Guess where their business is going - not to NETGEAR.
Message 32 of 44
MrMercury
Guide

Re: NETGEAR R7800 FIRMWARE v1.0.2.82 <- v1.0.2.68

Still broken in AP mode

Message 33 of 44
MrMercury
Guide

@kstotlani 

What company/brand would you recommend? Don't say 'any other' Smiley LOL.

Message 34 of 44
kstotlani
Star

Any other. LOL.

So when I was first researching I had found a Linksys router that was as good as R7800. I would recommend Linksys. Slightly cheaper option is TP Link. I like them as their products have been good and they have good pricing and support in India. NETGEAR generally has been great except for this issue.

My next upgrade would be to WiFi 6 but I see no reason at the moment. I have a 500Mbps connection up and down and these routers are amazing when they work.
Message 35 of 44
fadingfool
Aspirant

So just "upgraded" to v1.0.2.82 for the security fixes only to find out I lose access to readySHARE vault and a few other netgear features.  Plus the touted https support doesn't have a valid certificate.  Well Netgear so long and thanks for all the fish.  Time to install and learn DD-WRT.

Message 36 of 44

I'd check my setup. The latest update has done no damage to ReadySHARE here. But there is no denying that some stuff is bust. See the release notes.

Message 37 of 44

Oddly, well perhaps not given Netgear's track record, the release notes seem to be wrong. ReadyCLOUD works. It is running as I write. (This is just to test the thing, I don't use it in anger.)

OpenDNS (Live parental controls) is certainly dead.

That seems to be as much as anything down to Netgear pulling out of the deal with OpenDNS.

Message 38 of 44
fadingfool
Aspirant

readySHARE is still available it is the "readySHARE vault" (Backup with encryption) that has been discontinued.  That was proably the main thing keeping me on the netgear firmware rather than jumping to DD-WRT, open WRT or AdvancedTomato. 

Message 39 of 44

@fadingfool wrote:

readySHARE is still available it is the "readySHARE vault" (Backup with encryption) that has been discontinued. 

That's what the release notes say. But "readySHARE vault" still works here.

Maybe it is some subtle variation of readySHARE vault that is dead. It is the encryption bit that has died. Have they wiped put particular settings?

Have you actually tried to run it?

As I said, I ran readySHARE vault today. But I don't use it in anger. (I wouldn't trust my system to router level operation and have several different backup regimes.)

I just ran it for a test. In my case, I was saving to a local USB drive on ReadySHARE. Worked as expected.

The way things are going, the "free" baubles bolted on to a router seem to be endangered species. We have lost free parental controls not to mention free DDNS.

If Netgear can find a way of charging money for something, it will. I don't find that surprising for inexpensive kit like routers.

I just want an adequate router. Not an all singing all, dancing support system. If something is important, I'll pay for a grown-up version and not some afterthought bolt on.

Message 40 of 44
Wahaha
Aspirant

Hello

I upgrade the firmware to Version 1.0.2.82 and I cannot login to the AP.

How can I login to my AP?

So far the AP work fine.

Message 41 of 44

@Wahaha wrote:

I upgrade the firmware to Version 1.0.2.82 and I cannot login to the AP.

What does that mean?

You have a separate wireless access point of some sort?

You are using the R7800 in wireless access point mode?

Something else?

The R7800 has problems in AP mode with recent firmware. (I assume that you browsed through the earlier messages before hitching a ride on this conversation.)

Re: NETGEAR R7800 FIRMWARE v1.0.2.82 - NETGEAR Communities

Then there is the general issue of what you can do with a  wireless access point.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 42 of 44
paillassou
Apprentice

HELLO from FRANCE
=> " The R7800 has problems in AP mode with recent firmware. "
i can confirm since 10 months ... each fw update (1.0.2.7x... 1.0.2.82) big big pb in AP mode...

ARGHHHHHHHHH

i've remove that **bleep** of NETGEAR R7800 ... Smiley Mad
it's a trash with the new firmware 1.0.2.82  Smiley Mad

[ SOLUTION ] :
i've bought HUAWEI AX3 PRO WiFi 6+ Quad Core Enhanced Edition WS7200-30 = 50€ aliexpress... basta ...

WORKS PERFECT !

bye

Message 43 of 44

Out of curiosity, why would someone buy an expensive router and then disable most of its features so that it works as an access point?

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I should add that I also have a router in AP mode, attached to an R7800 as a router. In my case, the AO is an Orbi. So I get the benefits of the Orbi's wifi and the advantages of the R7800 router.

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7