Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR R9000 NIGHTHAWK X10 Plex Version Update

softerist
Apprentice

NETGEAR R9000 NIGHTHAWK X10 Plex Version Update

Hi. I have a concern regarding Plex Updates on my X10 device. PLEX Dev Team releases almost monthly new versions of Plex Server but Netgear support team allow X10 users to update their Server Version almost 3 or 4 times/year. This is not right. I need the newest PLEX updates, well, I even bought 90% of this router for Plex Media Server compatibilty. If I don't have access to updates, that's a big problem for me and the rest of the users. There should be an option to upload the Plex Update manually, as we do with the firmware update for the router system if the Netgear support team doesn't do this everytime Plex releases a new server version. Thank youPlex.png

Message 1 of 42

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone 

We are currently ungoing testing on Plex version 1.16.2  and we are planning to release it on the R9000 in the near furture.

DarrenM 

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 42

All Replies
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@softerist When Plex releases new Plex updates they don't have to worry about any additional testing beyond their usual testing process. However, when Netgear gets the new Plex media server version they have to test it beyond just testing the Plex Server they need to be sure that the update will not cause an issues with existing R9000 fw and features or any other hardware/software stability problems. The additional testing and qualification process is most likely the biggest reason why you are seeing the delay between Plex release and Netgear release of Plex server updates.

Message 2 of 42
softerist
Apprentice

This is getting out of hands.

It has been 4 months and I have zero updates on Plex Server.

Don't give me that answer with the delay bull**bleep** for tests. 

Really? 4 Months? What do you do there, build Plex Updates yourselves?

Just give us a solution to test it ourselves. Can't wait a **bleep** year for a simple update.

Message 3 of 42
softerist
Apprentice

This is getting out of hands.

It has been 4 months and I have zero updates on Plex Server.

Don't give me that answer with the delay bull**bleep** for tests. 

Really? 4 Months? What do you do there, build Plex Updates yourselves?

Just give us a solution to test it ourselves. Can't wait a **bleep** year for a simple update.

Message 4 of 42
JohnLW
Initiate

Ditto here.  Where are the Plex updates??? It really feels like Netgear has forgotten these routers once they are sold.  My Plex on R9000 has been very spotty and has crashed the database several times.  I'm in the process of moving to a full windows server.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 42
softerist
Apprentice

We're forgotten bro.

Message 6 of 42

Betreff: NETGEAR R9000 NIGHTHAWK X10 Plex Version Update

Could we get an update when the next Plex update is going to be released?
That was one of the primary reasons for me to purchase the router and it is more then frustrating that these updates are not frequent.
I understand that those releases need to be verified, but there should be at least a consistent realse cycle and expectations management for customers.

cheers

Message 7 of 42
gonse
Star

Shame on you Netgear. The latest plex server version available for this router (which btw, you promoted it as a killer feature) is from Dec. 2018.

What the hell are you doing?!?!?!?!

Message 8 of 42
softerist
Apprentice

I belive they abandoned this project because of low selling.

X10 still a good router despite the lack of updates and Plex deprecated version.

Message 9 of 42
schumaku
Guru

@gonse wrote:

Shame on you Netgear. The latest plex server version available for this router (which btw, you promoted it as a killer feature) is from Dec. 2018.

@softerist wrote:

I belive they abandoned this project because of low selling.

Convinced Plex does continue to build ARMv8 versions e.g. for QNAP and Synology - as they do for the Netgear X10. The point is that some testing must be done, and then the package must be added to the distribution channel. It's all about resources. Fancy DumaOS and Wi-Fi 6 routers sell better these days than the good ol R9000 does. 8-/

@Christian_R  can Plex "early access" be added to the R9000 Beta releases? 

Message 10 of 42
neo1981
Apprentice

Just noticed that Plex removed X10 from their server list. I am hoping that's not a sign that I won't be getting any plex updates on my X10. It now has a build from December '18. We're in July'19 now.
Message 11 of 42

Message 12 of 42
molano999
Guide

Well, It's indeed a shame that it hasn't been updated for over 6 months!  It's actually a disgrace for the firm.  They can learn A LOT from other companies like e.g. Synology, who still update their 7 year old NAS's in a regular base.

I actually don't understand why it takes that long to release a new version. Once Plex releases a new version, it's just a matter of testing for a couple of weeks to verify that it is indeed OK on the router and to write the wrappers around it to distribute it.

Maybe they should give us the freedom to update Plex ourselves (which would mean loosing support, but hey, support of Netgear sucks anyway so who cares).

Make a new bundle, put it on a FTP, make a kb-article describing how to install manually and that's it.

Really, I don't understand.  I hope we finally get heard, but Netgear-support has a habit of neglecting people.

Just give us a f*** update, how hard can it be.  It's max one week of dev/testing.

Never ever gonna by Netgear again.  You convinced me with your talk about Plex, you dissapoint me much more with how you treat your customers.  We gave money for this stuff you know.  Not only for the hardware, also for the support.

Message 13 of 42

I guess the community who bought the R9000 is just way to small to actually give anything about them.

That’s why they can easily be ignored.
But I learned my lesson and the next router will not be a Netgear anymore.

Also i am wondering if legal I can expect them to update on a reasonable cycle and if they don’t comply I may claim at least a partial refund due misleading advertisement.
Message 14 of 42
gonse
Star

The only choice we've got is not buying a Netgear product ever again. 

If Netgear decided to stop the Plex updates, at least give us the chance to do it ourselves.

Message 15 of 42
molano999
Guide

Doesn't matter how small we are.  They knew this from the start.  I would hope they made a business model on how much routers they would expect to sell etc.  They should include after-sales support like every other self-respecting firm does.  IMHO, they should provide us at least 3 years of updates for the complete router, including firmware and plex.  I don't actually mind the firmware, since I run another firmware which is based on the official one.  Much smoother, since it uses different and newer libs for most of it.

But that's not the point here.  I can not imagine how they can just drop us for more than half a year with no update on THE sellingpoint for this router. It's software so it needs to be maintained and updated.  Like they do for the firmware itself.

I am not a real developer, but I know a bit about it.  And I can't really understand how it can take very long (and cost a lot of money) to test and wrap up a new plex build.  They don't even have to develop the thing, they just need to wrap it up.

Shame shame shame on you, Netgear.

Looking on how we can this bring out to the masses so we can disgrace them in public.

Message 16 of 42
molano999
Guide

Dropped it as a news story on Mashable.  Let's hope they will cover it.

Maybe it others also drop this on websites, we will be heard.

Message 17 of 42

Fingers crossed. As otherwise I’ll make use of my warranty, as only bought last November.

And i hoped for a longer support time then just a month 😕
Message 18 of 42
molano999
Guide

Support (including updated firmware (which in this case should include Plex)) should be at least 3 years after End of Life ( End of Sales).  They still sell them, so that's at least 3 more years. 😉

Message 19 of 42
Chuck73080
Aspirant

This was not "misleading advertising", this was FALSE ADVERTISING, the router from day one would crash and I would have to rerun the setup, they replaced the R9000 once. I even bought an R8000 to try to get better signal in my master bedroom 1 wall about 40' away.

I ended up shutting down the R8000, disabling the 2.4Ghz on the R9000 and use my Windsteam Gbond DSL modem for 2.4Ghz just so my wife wasn't calling me when I was a 1000 miles away freaking out whenever it crashed. What a joke;-(

I use two WD Easystore 8TB USB 3.0 drives for Plex (one has the PMS and 2.5 TB/8000 episodes of TV Shows, the other has 2.0TB/850 movies). I bought the R9000 for plex so I could view it in my truck, about the longest it ran was a week before it crashed and it was usually

five or six weeks before I could get home and reassign the PMS drive.

I just retired and sold my truck this week. I found out yesterday that OEC Fiber will be ready next month and I signed up yesterday, today I'm shoping for a laptop with WiFi 6 to go with the new Synology DS1019+ and when I buy a new router for WiFi 6 it sure as he** won't be Netgear.

"Current Plex version: 1.14.1.5488-cc260c476  Dec 25, 2018Your Plex Media Server version is up to date."

Hey  Netgear the current version of Plex for Synology is:1.16.2.1297-4b7ace214 - July 2, 2019

Message 20 of 42
molano999
Guide

To be honest, my plex runs pretty stable.  Movies are on an Synology NFS share mounted to Plex via the default webGUI.

The only time I loose access to my NFS share is when my VPN(-client on the router via ssh, not the default VPN server in webGUI) crashes.

I just need to disable/re-enable Plex to fix that.

(Hint: Google "Voxel Netgear FW")

But the fact that we miss the updates and new features plus, more importantly, secure updates just stinks!

If Synology can do it, why can't Netgear???

For my own understaning, the Synology version you posted, does that run on the NAS's only or also on the router from Synology?

Message 21 of 42
Chuck73080
Aspirant

@molano999 wrote:

To be honest, my plex runs pretty stable.  Movies are on an Synology NFS share mounted to Plex via the default webGUI.

The only time I loose access to my NFS share is when my VPN(-client on the router via ssh, not the default VPN server in webGUI) crashes.

I just need to disable/re-enable Plex to fix that.

(Hint: Google "Voxel Netgear FW")

But the fact that we miss the updates and new features plus, more importantly, secure updates just stinks!

If Synology can do it, why can't Netgear???

For my own understaning, the Synology version you posted, does that run on the NAS's only or also on the router from Synology?

When I'm home it's a snap, when I'm loading produce in Salinas, CA to be delivered in Chicago, getting home to Oklahoma City has to wait. I only got home every two to three months.

The release was for Synology NAS only, from Plex.tv.

I bought a Lifetime Plex Pass a couple of years ago and haven't been able use any of the new features because Netgear can't be bothered to post updates.

I think I'll give the R9000 to our son in Philly, he's running Plex on a high dollar gaming computer he built, I'd send him a drive with my library, but we have very different programing taste.

Message 22 of 42
Oxmz
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Plex server on the R9000 has now been updated to version 1.16.0.

If running an older version of Plex server, you should either be offered to manually install the latest version available, or if automatic update are activated, the download should happen in the background and your Plex server be updated.

Message 23 of 42
softerist
Apprentice

Thank you kind expert.

Looks like baby cryings actually works after all.

Message 24 of 42

Thank you for the update.

I very much hope that more frequent updates will follow and expectations will be set accordingly.

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 35 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7