Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR ROUTERS (Tried the R6400v2 and R7000 models ) ONLY WORKING WITH COX RENTED MODEM

shadyt1me
Aspirant

NETGEAR ROUTERS (Tried the R6400v2 and R7000 models ) ONLY WORKING WITH COX RENTED MODEM

This is a long post so please bear with me...For the past 48+ hours I have been troubleshooting this EXTREMELY irritating issue with my ISP. Recently I updated to COX's GIGABLAST gigabit service. I did not want to rent their panoramic modem from them, so I went out and purchased the Motorola MB8600 modem. I had COX activate the new modem on my account, only my PC was wired to the MB8600 Modem. My PC was online and everything seemed to be working while wired. The MB8600 modem has 4 ports total, 2 of which are marked as "Ethernet" I had my main PC connected to ethernet port 1 and my NETGEAR R6400v2 connected to the ethernet port 2. I then factory reset my NETGEAR router and attempted to set it up via routerlogin.net. I initially tried to set it up using the "Genie" setup option and received the "Unable to detect internet connection" ( paraphrasing ) error message. I then selected the option to set up the router manually. Also, I should note, I have 2 computers. One wired directly to the modem and the other is connect to the NETGEAR router wired as well. Once in the UI on my PC connected directly to the R6400v2 router, the first info box marked "Internet" showed a red X and said it was not connected. The box to the left of that named "Internet port" only showed a mac address and had 0's filled in for the IP address, Subnet Mask, and the DNS. I power cycled and factory reset the modem and router multiple times and was at a loss... I then reached out to NETGEAR support and ended up paying $50 so they would help me troubleshoot the issue... The first person I spoke with walked me through "MAC spoofing" and had me enter the modem's MAC ADDRESS in the ADVANCED tab > Set up > Internet > Router settings location by selecting the "Use this mac address" radio button and entering the MAC address in the field to the right > Clicked apply. The router updated its settings and all lights went white and the "Internet" info box showed connected and "GOOD" in green. I was excited... then I attempted to goto a web page, was extremely slow, errored out, I refreshed and it came up.. I then attempted a speed test on speedtest.net..the test eventually started, then flatlined into a "Socket error".. I was able to see the network SSID and connect to it on my iPhone, ran a speed test wirelessly, errors out after a couple seconds. The NETGEAR tech was puzzled as well, he had me change channels, downgrade the firmware, and everything he could think of and eventually said the router is bad... The next day I went to bestbuy and bought the R7000 Nighthawk router, came home and had the EXACT same issue with it.. I then thought , ok maybe the motorola modem is bad, talked to motorola support and was told if it is online wired and is working, its not the modem.. To be thorough, I went to best buy returned the MB8600 and purchased the ARRIS SB8200 had cox activate it, EXACT SAME ISSUE. I then had cox reactivate their panoramic modem. The R7000 router was still connected to the COX panoramic modem, and I tried to run a speed test on my PC that was hardwired to the cox modem, and for the first time wired to the modem, I got the same socket error and webpage DNS/ loading errors. I disconnected the NETGEAR R7000 router, and was then able to run a speed test without issue. I then factory reset my R6400v2 NETGEAR router that I used prior to all of this, connected it to COX modem, and everything is now working again. Factory reset the R7000 and tested it with the COX modem, worked without issue.. I am so worn out over this I don't know what to do.. My netgear routers will only work with the rented COX modem and this doesn't make sense.. COX, NETGEAR, ARRIS, nor Motorola can help me any further.. PLEASE help me if you can.... Thanks in advanced...
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: NETGEAR ROUTERS (Tried the R6400v2 and R7000 models ) ONLY WORKING WITH COX RENTED MODEM

> [...] Motorola MB8600 modem. [...]

> [...] I had my main PC connected to ethernet port 1 and my NETGEAR
> R6400v2 connected to the ethernet port 2. [...]

Perhaps reading the documentation for the MB8600 would have made for
a better start.

https://motorolanetwork.com/mb8600.html

One open and 3 masked 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) LAN
      ports allow connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port
      including a router, Windows/Mac computer, HDTV, game station. The
      multiple Ethernet ports are not for connecting multiple devices;
      they allow connection to a router that can bond more than one
      Ethernet port to achieve speeds over 1Gbps when supported by your
      cable service.

Which is more explicit about the Ethernet-port capabilities of that
device than the corresponding Netgear documentation for its comparable
modems.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

Re: NETGEAR ROUTERS (Tried the R6400v2 and R7000 models ) ONLY WORKING WITH COX RENTED MODEM

> [...] Motorola MB8600 modem. [...]

> [...] I had my main PC connected to ethernet port 1 and my NETGEAR
> R6400v2 connected to the ethernet port 2. [...]

Perhaps reading the documentation for the MB8600 would have made for
a better start.

https://motorolanetwork.com/mb8600.html

One open and 3 masked 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) LAN
      ports allow connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port
      including a router, Windows/Mac computer, HDTV, game station. The
      multiple Ethernet ports are not for connecting multiple devices;
      they allow connection to a router that can bond more than one
      Ethernet port to achieve speeds over 1Gbps when supported by your
      cable service.

Which is more explicit about the Ethernet-port capabilities of that
device than the corresponding Netgear documentation for its comparable
modems.

Message 2 of 8
shadyt1me
Aspirant

Thank for your response @antinode . You are right about the manual lol. However, in my defense, Motorola tech support didn't even know about what is in their own manual apparently when I spoke with them... I just want to make sure I understand. So, the issue is because I had both my main pc AND the nighthawk router plugged into an ethernet port on the MB8600? I should have had only the router plugged into the modem and my pc to the router, correct? I have the Arris SB8200 in my possession right now, I looked through the manual and am not seeing the same "supports a SINGLE device" verbiage. Would you think its the same issue with the Arris modem? Thanks in advanced...

Message 3 of 8
shadyt1me
Aspirant

I think I found my answer here!:

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Ethernet-Ports/?l=en_US&fs=Rel...

The SB8200 is a cable modem and allows one client device for Internet access.  To provide Internet access to multiple client devices in the home network, add a Wi-Fi router to connect to the SB8200 cable modem or replace the SB8200 with a Wi-Fi cable modem like a SBG8300.

I am going to test this out and I will let you know. I hope to hit that "Accept solution" button!

Message 4 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] So, the issue is because I had both my main pc AND the nighthawk
> router plugged into an ethernet port on the MB8600? [...]

Yup.  A (router-less) modem gives you a direct connection to your
ISP.  If your ISP allocates to you one external IP address, then you can
connect only one device to the modem.

> [...] I should have had only the router plugged into the modem and my
> pc to the router, correct?

Yup.  The primary purpose of a NAT router is to let multiple devices
share that one external IP address.

> [...] Would you think its the same issue with the Arris modem? [...]

Yup.  Your document search did better than mine.  The best I found
quickly was:

https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb8200/

o Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports capable of link aggregation

It does not say that that's the _only_ way to use both, but it seems
likely.

> I am going to test this out [...]

What could go wrong?

Message 5 of 8

@shadyt1me wrote:

I am going to test this out and I will let you know. I hope to hit that "Accept solution" button!

Welcome to the club.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – SB8200

You aren't the first person to be baffled by this box.

Message 6 of 8
shadyt1me
Aspirant

Message 7 of 8
shadyt1me
Aspirant

That was it! All is running fast and without issue now! Thanks homey! @antinode 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7