Re: NETGEAR SUPPORT - READ!!!!! - R9000 - Firmware V1.0.3.16 issues and constant other issues.

Sakarine
Aspirant

NETGEAR SUPPORT - READ!!!!! - R9000 - Firmware V1.0.3.16 issues and constant other issues.

R9000 X10 - Total disappointment.....

On R9000 X10, after firmware update to V1.0.3.16 having all sorts of problems.

1. Wifi connectivity drops constantly

a. 2 Laptops with AC connectivity

b. Amazon Echo Show

c. Ring video cameras

d. Wink hub

e. In general - very slow wifi speeds compared to before

2. My Plex media server can no longer get access from outside my network

a. I tried everything as far as troubleshooting.

i. Complete reset to factory default

ii. Port Forwarding

iii. Changed security configs

iv. Even tried turing off NAT

b. To confirm  that it was the firmware, I reverted back to V1.0.3.10 (previous version) and it started working again.

i. Only problem with this - I'm still having wifi connectivity issues.

c. To make sure it was not ISP or any other devices on my network causing this (including my server that runs Plex), I removed the X10 R9000 and used my old router (Verizon Fios G1100)..... no problems connecting.

I have had nothing but issues with the X10 R9000. For a $400 router, it is not worth it. I bought this back in Dec 2017 (6 months ago). I've exchanged this twice with BestBuy and once through Netgear because of drop in wifi and wan speeds. And these issues were not related to this specific issue. Seems like if you have over 30 devices, it will start failing. I have a lot of devices in my house. Dropped connections and poor speeds consistently. The only reason why I kept this for so long (6 months) is because it has SFP+ connection which connects to my NAS. I'm seriously thinking about returning it to BestBuy and going with something else. I use to be a big fan of Netgear, but this ruined it.

I hope Netear Support reads this and does something about it...... My 90 days support is up and I'm not paying another cent for a faulty product. Nor will I spend any more time trying to troubleshoot the problems it has. Very unreliable. (4 different routers same model... all similar issues) If you have a simple basic home set up with under 20 devices, it may not be an issue... Anything beyond that, I would not recommend..My Fios router I bought for 30 dollars used works better than this. Again.. Very disappointed...... I've never had this much issues with a router... and I've had many different brands and models..

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Sakarine
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR SUPPORT - READ!!!!! - R9000 - Firmware V1.0.3.16 issues and constant other issues.

Just to add and validate my troubleshooting -

For the Plex Media Server issue - I did the upgrade to V1.0.3.16 and downgrade to V1.0.3.10 three times. Resetting every time with just my desktop and server that is hosting the Plex media Server.Everytime I upgrade to V1.0.3.16, it starts failing. When I revert back to V1.0.3.10, it works fine. Something I noticed... The uPNP table is no longer being populated in the updated version. Also tried turning uPNP off. No difference.

For the Wifi Connection issues - I've changed channel, SSID names. I used Wifi analyzers to make sure I'm not getting any interferernce on the channels I chose. I moved my router. I disconnected devices to decrease the number of devices.. Everything.. Literally spent 20+ hours over the past week since I upgraded version.No resolve on updated version. V1.0.3.10 has intermittent connectivity issues but not as bad as V1.0.3.16.

If this is another faulty device.. this will make it the 4th one that I've had to return due to issues.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 11
xnsys
Luminary

@Sakarine wrote:

R9000 X10 - Total disappointment.....

On R9000 X10, after firmware update to V1.0.3.16 having all sorts of problems.

1. Wifi connectivity drops constantly

a. 2 Laptops with AC connectivity

b. Amazon Echo Show

c. Ring video cameras

d. Wink hub

e. In general - very slow wifi speeds compared to before

2. My Plex media server can no longer get access from outside my network

a. I tried everything as far as troubleshooting.

i. Complete reset to factory default

ii. Port Forwarding

iii. Changed security configs

iv. Even tried turing off NAT

b. To confirm  that it was the firmware, I reverted back to V1.0.3.10 (previous version) and it started working again.

i. Only problem with this - I'm still having wifi connectivity issues.

c. To make sure it was not ISP or any other devices on my network causing this (including my server that runs Plex), I removed the X10 R9000 and used my old router (Verizon Fios G1100)..... no problems connecting.

I have had nothing but issues with the X10 R9000. For a $400 router, it is not worth it. I bought this back in Dec 2017 (6 months ago). I've exchanged this twice with BestBuy and once through Netgear because of drop in wifi and wan speeds. And these issues were not related to this specific issue. Seems like if you have over 30 devices, it will start failing. I have a lot of devices in my house. Dropped connections and poor speeds consistently. The only reason why I kept this for so long (6 months) is because it has SFP+ connection which connects to my NAS. I'm seriously thinking about returning it to BestBuy and going with something else. I use to be a big fan of Netgear, but this ruined it.

I hope Netear Support reads this and does something about it...... My 90 days support is up and I'm not paying another cent for a faulty product. Nor will I spend any more time trying to troubleshoot the problems it has. Very unreliable. (4 different routers same model... all similar issues) If you have a simple basic home set up with under 20 devices, it may not be an issue... Anything beyond that, I would not recommend..My Fios router I bought for 30 dollars used works better than this. Again.. Very disappointed...... I've never had this much issues with a router... and I've had many different brands and models..

First question - when you upgraded the firmware, did you do a factory reset?  If not give this a go as it may help with your situation.

I have my theories as to the WiFi disconnect, I'm still seeing them with 1.0.3.16 - but this time it's different to 1.0.3.10 as the WiFi driver is not crashing causing the radio to reset.

What device are you experiencing disconnecting when connected to the X10?

@Case850 wrote:

@Sakarine

If I were you I would return the R9000 and get a R7800 which is far cheaper and far more reliable. Note the R7800 does not have all the NAS & PLEX candy, 802.11AD (whcih is dead) and 10Gbps SFP port.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

Use the following in conjunction with the R7800 to connect 10Gbps to your NAS.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-16-xg/

The following people @schumaku@xnsys tell me the R9000 is a very good product and I don't know what I am talking about. Perhaps they might be able to help you.

I believe that the R7800 will have issues with certain devices as well due to the country code not being broadcast, and end user devices locking down the card to particular regions - I've written in this forum my findings and test results when using Cisco devices without broadcasting country codes, and the disconnects I was seeing - considering that they were an identical experience to the R9000 I think there is some merit in exploring this avenue.

Which reminds me, did you see the thread when I asked you for screenshots for the country code you see on your R7800??

Message 3 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Sakarine,

Please try this new firmware version.

https://kb.netgear.com/000058270/R9000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-2

Message 4 of 11
Sakarine
Aspirant

I returned it. It was too much of a headache. Too many issues with the R9000. Firmware issues to constant wifi drops to lost internet connections.

This post can be closed since I no longer own it. Maybe this will help other users.

Message 5 of 11
Sakarine
Aspirant

Did complete reset every time I updated firmware.. including downgrading. Did not do backup restore.. I did complete reconfig from scratch every time.

Country Code was North America by default on R9000 and you can't change it in the UI.

As noted on other comment. I returned the R9000 for almost a full refund at BestBuy. Had too many problems. 4 returns and all similar issues.

Message 6 of 11
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@xnsys wrote: >>>

I believe that the R7800 will have issues with certain devices as well due to the country code not being broadcast, and end user devices locking down the card to particular regions - I've written in this forum my findings and test results when using Cisco devices without broadcasting country codes, and the disconnects I was seeing - considering that they were an identical experience to the R9000 I think there is some merit in exploring this avenue.

Which reminds me, did you see the thread when I asked you for screenshots for the country code you see on your R7800??

macOS 10.13.3 (17D47) does not display the country code on the D7800 and the Ubiquiti AP AC Pro. It looks like a bug on the macOS side. 

macOS 10.13.4 does display the country code on the D7800 and the Ubiquiti AP AC Pro.

Where are you getting this information from as I'm only ever seeing X3 as the contry code - post some screenshots please - and iStumbler shows the device as having no country code at all - wich is what the mac is suggesting with X3.

For reference, this is with all versions of 10.13.3 right to 10.13.5...

And look I can provide screenshots to prove it all...

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 7.14.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 7.17.56 AM.png

Message 7 of 11
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@xnsys wrote: >>> Where are you getting this information from as I'm only ever seeing X3 as the contry code - post some screenshots please

I cannot see your screenshots until the Mods OK it.

In macOS I used the [option] & click on the wifi symbol at the top of the screen.

Posting a screenshot is not possible.

Why can't you post a screenshot?  It would help us all out to get a full picture or what's going on..See, I can do it...

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 7.31.53 AM.png

Try it from the System Profiler as well as that's more accurate.

Message 8 of 11
xnsys
Luminary

And you can't because you're full of it!!

For the record, the country code wouldn't be AUS - it's two letters  - but if it was displaying correctly you would know that.

I doubt that you even have a macOS either..

Stop wasting people time with your incorrect information, and leave the advice to the professionals please.

Go back to making love to your 7800 - complete with all it's faults - I guess they do say love is blind lol

Message 9 of 11
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

You are clutching at straws.

The country code is AU,  AUS was a typo on my part.

This is a Netgear's problem, not my problem.

Yeah yeah, so you say...

Might be netgears problem - but the interesting thing is that you have tried to be helpful by giving incorrect information all the time, but when it comes to you providing evidence for what you preach - you are unable to do so...there is only one conclusion that can be drawn from that,.

At the end of the day, it's all our problems as it effects us all - so rather than spurt crap - let's start being more factual please.

Message 10 of 11
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@xnsys

Netgear's not delivering, so you take your frustrations out on me....Wonderful!

The problems can only be solved from the top down, not from the bottom up.

Yes, netgear is not delivering, but neither are you with your false statements - this is a forum that's supposed to be where users can help users - not complicate things with incorrect rhetoric. 

The consumer market is about volume and low margins. The R9000 just does not have the volume for Netgear to invest resources to fix what is a redundant product.

Is that a statement or an assumption?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements