Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported.

2Charlie
Aspirant

NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported.

I get this error:

NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the ourter, and no IPv6 is enalbed.

I'm simply trying to login to Genie to check on my network at home. I'm currently in my office at work. I thought one of the advertisements of the R8500 is that we can monitor our network from a far. What do I need to do to have this to work?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Ok, I looked at the Genie manual and there's a whole section on remote managment.  It turns out that Remote Management does NOT need to be enabled on the router.  Remote management with Genie uses a different mechanism.  You need to create a remote management account and register your router.  Follow the instructions in the manual to set it up.  They look easy to follow.

Having said this, I would be a bit wary about using this.  The use of a remote managment account implies that remote access is faciliated by a Netgear server.  After the initial setup, it's unclear how much Netgear is involved whenever you log in remotely.  Hopefully, your login session doesn't go through any Netgear servers.  That would be a huge privacy concern.  What would be preferred is that the act of registering your router for remote management merely opens a port on the router and Genie opens a direct connection to router.  Unfortunately, you have to log into the remote management account in order to access your router, so that suggests that Netgear is still involved.  

Unless Netgear is willing to share more details about how this works, I would stay away from this feature and stick with the basic, browser-based Remote Management available on the router.

My $0.02, of course.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You need to enable Remote Management on the router.  If you are using the desktop version of Genie to log into your network, then it may not work while away from home.  You may have to use the URL provided by the router when you enable Remote Management.  The URL will look something like https://<your router's public IP address>:xxxx.

<soapbox>

I would think twice about enabling Remote Management.  While Remote Management does use encrypted https, it just provides another vector for hackers to break into your home network.  It's not too hard to find news articles about Netgear vulnerabilities associated with Remote Management.

Even without these vulnerabilities, be sure to put a really strong admin password on your router (i.e. 12 random characters or longer).  Or, leave Remote Management off and simply wait until you get home to check on your network.

</soapbox>

Message 2 of 6
2Charlie
Aspirant

Okay, so basically the Genie app whether it's a desktop or mobile app, I can't monitor/conrol my home network while away from home, correct? Even if I enabled the Remote Management, I still need to launch a browser to do it. The genie app is useless outside the home, correct?

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

I have never used either desktop or mobile app, so I don't know if it's capable of logging in remotely. I'll try to look at the manual. Regardless, Remote Management needs to be enabled.
Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Ok, I looked at the Genie manual and there's a whole section on remote managment.  It turns out that Remote Management does NOT need to be enabled on the router.  Remote management with Genie uses a different mechanism.  You need to create a remote management account and register your router.  Follow the instructions in the manual to set it up.  They look easy to follow.

Having said this, I would be a bit wary about using this.  The use of a remote managment account implies that remote access is faciliated by a Netgear server.  After the initial setup, it's unclear how much Netgear is involved whenever you log in remotely.  Hopefully, your login session doesn't go through any Netgear servers.  That would be a huge privacy concern.  What would be preferred is that the act of registering your router for remote management merely opens a port on the router and Genie opens a direct connection to router.  Unfortunately, you have to log into the remote management account in order to access your router, so that suggests that Netgear is still involved.  

Unless Netgear is willing to share more details about how this works, I would stay away from this feature and stick with the basic, browser-based Remote Management available on the router.

My $0.02, of course.

Message 5 of 6
2Charlie
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the information. That is very helpful and insightful.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7