Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware R7000-V1.0.3.60_1.1.27

Why use extender?This R7000 has a great range
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 76 of 103
khutula
Aspirant

I have two extenders in my house. R7000 doesn't reach.
Message 77 of 103
Carnaged
Tutor

Well I got 10 days stable out of the new firmware and then I started to get quality changes on YouTube and on wifi streaming, so I changed the channel just in case on 5ghz, then I could no longer connect to 5ghz. I rebooted the router and still had trouble connecting but it eventually let me back on 5ghz and we're good again.

This router has been a poor choice for me and I will be looking to replace it soon, I am only of the opinion that DD-WRT gives worse range than the standard firmware even though it is stable.
Message 78 of 103
khutula
Aspirant

What will you get as a replacement? Very tempted to do the same but there's not much out there.
Message 79 of 103
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Quite a few reports that DD_WRT isn't slower than stock, except on the WAN port, which will only come into play if you have an extremely high-speed connection (like 500Mbps or greater).

If you do return the router, there's a lot of good reports about the Asus AC68U and it is also community-supported with 3rd party firmware from RMerlin at Small Net Builder.
Message 80 of 103
maclan13
Aspirant

.60 is most definitely buggy over a wireless connection with about 5 to 20% dropped packets and no interference. Reverted to .56 and this is reduced to 1%.

Will have to contact netgear to test .61 or move to DD-WRT
Message 81 of 103
hydra3333
Aspirant

BartDG wrote:
D-Link has recently finally released their first AC1900 router, the DIR-880L. I'm now seriously considering ditching the R7000 in favour of this router.

Be VERY careful what you wish for.
I "upgraded" from my DIR-655 to the DIR-880L with new firmware 1.01.
Issues: DHCP reservations, DNS servers, QOS, slowish usb xfer speed.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2238249&p=2#r25
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2286002#r4

maclan13 wrote:
.60 is most definitely buggy over a wireless connection with about 5 to 20% dropped packets and no interference. Reverted to .56 and this is reduced to 1%.

I'd just started looking at moving to an R7000 when I saw this.
This'd be a good reason not to buy one though.
Damnation, 2 manufacturers with flakey products that don't work as expected, what's the world coming to.
If the packet loss issues goes away I'll buy an R7000.
Message 82 of 103
Retired_Member
Not applicable

hydra3333 wrote:
Damnation, 2 manufacturers with flakey products that don't work as expected, what's the world coming to.

The Linksys WRT1900AC and Asus AC66U/AC68U have issues too. For the Asus, there is 3rd-party firmware, though.

This is an "industry" issue.
Message 83 of 103
rdh91007
Guide

I am beginning to suspect that part of the problem lies with the FirmWare supplied by the Chipset Vendor.

Of course, it is still Netgear's responsibility to provide a reliable product. Up to this point Netgear has failed to meet this responsibility.

I have an installation of 7 R7000's at a Client. One is being used as a wireless router - DHCP Server, 5 are used as Wireless Access Points and 1 is being used as a Bridge.

All are currently using the 194 Firmware since, with the exception of the Bridge, none of the newer FirmWare releases seem to solve all of the problems I am seeing.

After all 7 have been rebooted everything seems to work well. Range is excellent and throughput is outstanding.

After about 5 to 7 days the Bridge loses connectivity and must be rebooted. After about 3 weeks the Router loses Internet connectivity and must be rebooted. After being connected for 2 weeks or so a wireless printer can no longer be accessed despite the fact that it shows that it is connected.

There are no problems with wired devices.

I simply do not have the time or patience to deal with Netgear Support. It has been reported in this Forum that Support has only one R7000 for testing. If this is true, it is unlikely that they will be able to duplicate these problems and forward them to Engineering.

It would appear that the most likely Vendor to have and advanced AC product might be Apple with the Apple-AirPort-Extreme-BaseStation-ME918LL. While I haven't tried it, this may be my fall back if Netgear doesn't get the R7000 problems fixed soon.
Message 84 of 103
Squuiid
Luminary

rdh91007 wrote:
I have an installation of 7 R7000's at a Client. One is being used as a wireless router - DHCP Server, 5 are used as Wireless Access Points and 1 is being used as a Bridge.

All are currently using the 194 Firmware since, with the exception of the Bridge, none of the newer Firmware releases seem to solve all of the problems I am seeing.

After all 7 have been rebooted everything seems to work well. Range is excellent and throughput is outstanding.

After about 5 to 7 days the Bridge loses connectivity and must be rebooted. After about 3 weeks the Router loses Internet connectivity and must be rebooted. After being connected for 2 weeks or so a wireless printer can no longer be accessed despite the fact that it shows that it is connected.

There are no problems with wired devices.

You absolutely nailed it with this post. I have two R7000s and another 3 at a client's.
My two are AP and Bridge and the client's are all APs.
They all exhibit the problems you've listed, more or less around the same number of days you've stated. I'm using 1.0.3.60
These Wireless routers are absolute garbage. I'm fed up.
Message 85 of 103
rdh91007
Guide

I tried calling Netgear's Senior VP of Advanced Engineering, Mark Merrill, last week and left a voice mail message. As of today, I have not had the courtesy of a reply.

It is beginning to appear that Netgear has no interest in protecting their reputation.

I guess that they figure everybody is rushing buggy products to Market so they should too.

Looks like there should be an opportunity for a Vendor that is willing to thoroughly test their products before bringing them to market. I wonder who that will be?
Message 86 of 103
hulltech
Aspirant

If you get no response go to the better business bureau and lodge a complaint against them. If enough people were to do this it would hurt their standing and they would have to. Work harder to provide a resolution to the issue's. I will not buy another talking head product claiming to be the best and delivering mediocre. I will buy commercial grade products, my bro in law started work making routers and other things. This is not a industry wide problem as they claimed. They made promises that turned out to be lies. Like it was a Openvpn router. it is a vpn pass through. They did poorly in developing the block website's by making it a group policy. A customizable hotspot is called a guest account. The usb hard drive and wireless printer problems need fixed. The dropping and wireless are handled by broadcom chip design and so are the drivers.
Please release a firmware update and give us a date and change note of what is fixed, what is changed, and what Will not be changed. People are upset about the no communication and the firmware update will be out soon quote.:mad:
Message 87 of 103
hydra3333
Aspirant

How is it that ALL the magazine reviews come up fine and don't report ANY of these issues ?

Is it that they don't test them for long enough, or aren't skilled enough, or something ?

For comparison with the dlink DIR-880L (which still may be just a one-off bad one) refer to these threads
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2238249&p=3#r57
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2286002&p=-1&#bottom
Message 88 of 103
hydra3333
Aspirant

Hey, one of my posts was edited and another deleted ...
Message 89 of 103
rdh91007
Guide

Most reviews of wireless networking products are completed in a few weeks at most. During the review period the product will be reconfigured and restarted many times. That means that there will be no long term test that would uncover the problems that many of us are experiencing.

During the first 3 or 4 days after a restart my installation is experiencing NO problems.

The first problem to appear is the Bridge that loses its connection after 4 or 5 days. The next problem is wireless clients cannot connect to wired clients, but still have Internet Access. Next, The DHCP Server stops.

I am currently monitoring the installation and will have a better understanding of the time to the various failures.

I am currently running the 1.94 firmware on all 7 R7000's.

Since the Bridge fails first, after I have found the time to failure I will do a factory reset, install the 3.60 firmware, do another factory reset, reconfigure and then monitor to find either a time to failure or have no failure.

I plan to follow the same procedure as I find the time to failure for the Router and Wireless Access Points.

I am not sure at this point, but it seems that saving and reloading settings when updating Firmware may cause problems.
Message 90 of 103
riesecanada
Tutor

rdh91007 wrote:
The first problem to appear is the Bridge that loses its connection after 4 or 5 days. The next problem is wireless clients cannot connect to wired clients, but still have Internet Access. Next, The DHCP Server stops.

Those are the exact problem that I have been trying to get resolved with Netgear support for the last four months. They gave me a debug version of the .61 beta firmware a month ago and the egineering team connected to my system to get the logfiles, but they have been quiet since.
Message 91 of 103
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

hydra3333,

I don't see any of your posts deleted in this thread (they remain visible to me if deleted), and none of your posts here have been edited.
Message 92 of 103
RogerSC
Virtuoso

hydra3333 wrote:
How is it that ALL the magazine reviews come up fine and don't report ANY of these issues ?

Is it that they don't test them for long enough, or aren't skilled enough, or something ?

Unfortunately, few of the people that publish router reviews do long term testing. They generally run their standard suite of tests, and if they don't run into problems doing that, reviews are written and they're done. So they don't see problems that don't happen during their test period.
Message 93 of 103
StevenSiew
Aspirant

I agree, the problems shows up after a couple of days, like 4-7 days. So if you only test for a couple of hours (3 - 4 hours) then this router really flies like a rocket.

Which is why, power off and power on the router tends to "fix the problem" for a short time.
Message 94 of 103
hulltech
Aspirant

I would n`t look too hard at a firmware update for netgear to fix the issues with this router. I called tech support tonight for help with my router and asked about the firmware upgrade progress and was told they have no firmware in development or any plans to for the R7000 router firmware . time for the BBB to talk to them in the UK, Australia and San Jose California. all the info is on your router box to file a complaint.

good luck everyone.:mad:
Message 95 of 103
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Is it true Netgear has left the R7000 and moved on? No more firmware update?
Message 96 of 103
Fairytail
Virtuoso

R7000 is not yet an EOL product. There will still be firmware that will be released for fix of any issues. The only time that the product will not have upcoming firmware if its tagged as an EOL product. You may check the link below for the list of EOL products.

http://netgear.com/landing/eol.aspx
Message 97 of 103
hulltech
Aspirant

Explain it to the bbb why there has been no communication from netgear when asked repeatedly over and over to fix these issues with a firmware update. even your own tech support claims there is no firmware in development or plans for firmware for the R7000. I have the case number.
I tried live chat they knew nothing, I submitted a trouble ticket and they didn't bother to reply, I called tech support and they had me do a reflash of the latest firmware. I asked them directly the question about new firmware for the R7000 and they said there is no new firmware in development or plans for one in the future.
So I made a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. End of story.
Message 98 of 103
paulmcg
Aspirant

Just received this email, I wonder what I should say about the R7000?

How’s your NETGEAR R7000 doing?
Dear Customer,

Looks like you recently registered a NETGEAR R7000 so we wanted to check in to see how it’s doing. Was installation easy? Is it performing well? Does it meet your expectations? We’d really like to know, so we’ve created a brief survey for you to share your experience with us.

Take Survey

Your feedback is very important—critical in helping us continue to deliver useful, quality products. So thanks for taking a few minutes to let us know how your R7000 is doing.

Team NETGEAR
Message 99 of 103
hulltech
Aspirant

I just did an rma to se if that will help with the issue. I asked the tech again about firmware and they said there is no new firmware nor any in development. now who should I believe. you say they will do firmware releases until eol. so where is the firmware to fix the issues this router has.
seriously, they do not communicate with you and on my first few days here they said netgear does not read these post yet when I mentioned my complaint to the bbb I noticed that support attitude was different because I decided to stand up for myself instead of letting you treat us like mushrooms. I bought a product on good faith and expected the company to follow through by standing by it`s product and making sure it worked well for it`s customers not give them the run around and tell them contradictory things. so what is he truth ; is there a new firmware, what will it fix and change and when will it be available to the consumers if there is such a thing in production. no word of anything. this is not the proper way to treat consumers by ignoring them. so are you going to delete this post for me asking that again.
Message 100 of 103
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E