Reply

NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

phreebsd
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

ok it seems my intel 7260 is only capable of 2 streams at 433mbps so Im maxed out.

"The listed max speed for the Intel 7260 is 867Mbps (2x433Mbps streams)"


what wifi card do you use, psychopomp1?
Message 26 of 91
geeffland
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

JMU1998,

I just updated to the latest firmware so I can't so how it has changed yet...

But on the not accessing 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net I have noticed this issue since I upgraded the Netgear Genie on a Windows 7 32-bit pc. Currently I have to reboot daily by the power switch to connect into the 192.168.1.1 router setup page. So far rest of internet seems accessible just not the router's own page. (this was with older firmware 1.0.22 I think Also interesting when the router web page can not be loaded the Genie also indicates it may not be a supported Netgear router when trying to view Parental Controls (which I do have enabled in case that is part of the issue)... ipV6 is disabled.
Message 27 of 91
TSloper
Tutor

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

I am having the same issue with reduced signal strength/PHY speed on the latest firmware. I a good deal of time this weekend positioning the router and antennas (using WiFi Explorer on my MBPR) to maximize RSSI and PHY speeds. Both bands took an immediate hit when I upgraded today. I reverted back to the original firmware and everything went back to normal.

I don't understand how these firmware updates are making it out with such poor quality control. This product was released prematurely. I don't deny that there is a great deal of software complexity but I paid for a product that claims to do XYZ and it does XY with no mention of deficiencies on the box.
Message 28 of 91
psychopomp1
Novice

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

psychopomp1 wrote:
Oh dear...my wifi AC speeds have gone down from 1300 mbps to 702 mbps on the new fw. Time to roll back to the previous firmware 😞


And now my wifi AC speeds are back to normal ie 1300mbps on fw 1.0.1.22. If it aint broke...
Message 29 of 91
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

wgentine wrote:
5Ghz.

Yes. I always do reset. Its getting very complicated...

Im also running a beta firmware on another R7000 unit to test and help netgear engineering.


Damn, 5ghz is not perfoming well!!!!! I'm in the "pulled" FW and as is, the 5ghz is spotty, but the link rate is a concern.

So would you say, update to the new FW ot stay on the older one??
Message 30 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Lexist2112 wrote:
Damn, 5ghz is not perfoming well!!!!! I'm in the "pulled" FW and as is, the 5ghz is spotty, but the link rate is a concern.

So would you say, update to the new FW ot stay on the older one??


I'd update to the new one then. Either that or go back to the one before the one that was pulled.
Message 31 of 91
qruster
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

qruster wrote:
I use more than 20 port forwarding rules but now I can only see 15. Does anyone else see this?

OK I had to do a router reset and then restore from my saved settings and all is well.
Message 32 of 91
sdrm
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Is it recommended to restore from a previous configuration after the update or should the router be configured a new. I am asking coz I assign static i.p to my devices and evreytime an upgrade comes along I have to reassign them which is a pain to do manually. Any advices please.
Message 33 of 91
sdrm
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

My wifi-link strength have gone down after the upgrade but the down and up speed are about the same which is not an upgrade I believe. I will be testing more in the next few days and post up here.
Message 34 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

sdrm wrote:
Is it recommended to restore from a previous configuration after the update or should the router be configured a new. .


Yes, for most firmware updates it is recommended to do a reset using the "reset" button on the back of the router after the update. A power-cycle is also a good thing after the reset. Then manually reconfigure the router. That way you start from a known point. It is a pain in the butt, that's why it's really nice to get a firmware version that has the features that you want, and just keeps on working for you *smile*.

Personally, I usually wait and see what people's experiences are with a new firmware version before I make the decision to upgrade. Also, I check to see if it fixes anything that's been bothering me or adds a feature that I want or need before upgrading.
Message 35 of 91
riesscar
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Ok Netgear:

The fact that your company has released faulty firmware v 1.0.2.164_1.0.15 for the r7000 is beyond reproach. So, Negear technicians ought not ask the same waste of time questions. There are a number of issues to post about, but I'll start with FW update related issues.

I see a number of people talking about wifi degradation, but since all my wifi is done with close proximity and not used for bandwidth intensive applications, I'll just bow out of that one. However, there is a clear problem with accessing the web GUI. Now, I don't know if this is related to netgear genie or not, but THIS IS OCCURRING. There is no number of hard resets, factory resets, software reinstallations, etc... that will change this. Much as others have reported, an initial router reboot fixes it for ~30min; however, you cannot access the web GUI after a while. CHALK IT DOWN!!! It is a recurring problem experienced by multiple users in multiple regions with varying levels of expertise.

While I am here I just want to express my disdain for the website support layout that netgear has implemented... the so-called "download center". I have a wild idea: provide detailed info about the firmware and software that are posted. For example: the website lists 1.0.1.22 as the latest North American FW for the r7000; however, this is not the exact FW. This information can be found in the readme. I you want a clue for how to do a download support page, check out ASUS. They could teach netgear a couple of things about what users expect support-wise.

Finally, I would just like to plead with netgear's top-tier technicians to please address the following issue present in netgeargenie software. I have a Workstation PC, and as such I have setup LACP link aggregation to my LACP capable switch. Everything is working fine with regard to functionality. The problem is that the virtual NIC (created by teaming the two physical NIC's) is not seen by the netgear genie mapping software. For whatever reason, it shows my two greyed out NIC's (the LACP teamed adapters) and a powerline connection that is in my topology - yet, not the resulting LACP connection.

Anyway, this last issue is of little significance compared to the first two. Prompt action on the part of netgear to address the aforementioned problems is expected anxiously awaited.

Yours,

Carson M Riess, Esq.
Message 36 of 91
csm746
Novice

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

I noticed the Windows reported speed reduction. Down to 468. I did the restore factory defaults, followed by 30-30-30. Reconfigured the router and the speed is back up where it was before.
Message 37 of 91
dowop
Tutor

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

riesscar wrote:
Ok Netgear:

The fact that your company has released faulty firmware v 1.0.2.164_1.0.15 for the r7000 is beyond reproach. So, Negear technicians ought not ask the same waste of time questions. There are a number of issues to post about, but I'll start with FW update related issues.

I see a number of people talking about wifi degradation, but since all my wifi is done with close proximity and not used for bandwidth intensive applications, I'll just bow out of that one. However, there is a clear problem with accessing the web GUI. Now, I don't know if this is related to netgear genie or not, but THIS IS OCCURRING. There is no number of hard resets, factory resets, software reinstallations, etc... that will change this. Much as others have reported, an initial router reboot fixes it for ~30min; however, you cannot access the web GUI after a while. CHALK IT DOWN!!! It is a recurring problem experienced by multiple users in multiple regions with varying levels of expertise.

While I am here I just want to express my disdain for the website support layout that netgear has implemented... the so-called "download center". I have a wild idea: provide detailed info about the firmware and software that are posted. For example: the website lists 1.0.1.22 as the latest North American FW for the r7000; however, this is not the exact FW. This information can be found in the readme. I you want a clue for how to do a download support page, check out ASUS. They could teach netgear a couple of things about what users expect support-wise.

Finally, I would just like to plead with netgear's top-tier technicians to please address the following issue present in netgeargenie software. I have a Workstation PC, and as such I have setup LACP link aggregation to my LACP capable switch. Everything is working fine with regard to functionality. The problem is that the virtual NIC (created by teaming the two physical NIC's) is not seen by the netgear genie mapping software. For whatever reason, it shows my two greyed out NIC's (the LACP teamed adapters) and a powerline connection that is in my topology - yet, not the resulting LACP connection.

Anyway, this last issue is of little significance compared to the first two. Prompt action on the part of netgear to address the aforementioned problems is expected anxiously awaited.

Yours,

Carson M Riess, Esq.


I agree with the above quote. The new firmware only shows up on the Genie. Not on the U.S. website. I guess I am lucky that the latest version on the U.S. website works for me.
Message 38 of 91
Bigcid10
Guide

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

I can report that I updated this morning to the new firmware and
didn't reset or powercycle and my signal levels on my ac laptop(intel 7260)
and galaxy s4 have not dropped levels or speed differences up till this point
I updated from 1.0.2.140 though
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 39 of 91
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Now it has been over 24 hrs I have been on V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 and after doing some further tests last night and this afternoon my conclusion is that the speeds have dropped slightly nothing alarming but what concerns me is that the signal strength has taken a BIG hit. I have not changed anything in my house or moved anything devices are in the same location but the signal strength is clearly weaker.

Netgear Engineering please take note and bring back atleast the implicit beamformng and leave out the airtimefairness for now.

Again great machine this R7000 but just poor support and pushed out the door too quickly to make the quick buck... and use us "sheeple" as their test environment for free.
Message 40 of 91
dowop
Tutor

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Are using Genie at all? Just wondering if it works.
Message 41 of 91
csm746
Novice

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Never have, which I credit for avoiding most of the problems others describe. I have always just used the http://192.168.1.1 and bypassed the warnings.
Message 42 of 91
theoak
Luminary

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

sdrm wrote:
Is it recommended to restore from a previous configuration after the update or should the router be configured a new. I am asking coz I assign static i.p to my devices and evreytime an upgrade comes along I have to reassign them which is a pain to do manually. Any advices please.


It is frustrating because with each new update, some prior features may be there ... or they may not be. So, if you update via a saved configuration, how is that going to behave?

As much as a pain that it is ... for each version, I manually enter in all my information. However, once complete, I do save the config. This way if I have to roll back ... I just apply the config file at that time.

I actually did that with the last firmware ... I ended up rolling back because I wanted to keep the beamforming. Everything seems to be behaving still for me.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 43 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

theoak wrote:
I ended up rolling back because I wanted to keep the beamforming. Everything seems to be behaving still for me.


So you are on the 1.0.2.120_1.0.17 firmware with "airtime fairness" turned off, and "beamforming" turned on, and that's working okay for you?

Thought about trying that, seems like a good thing to check out. I'm trying out the newest dd-wrt firmware today, and that's also doing well. No implicit beamforming, though, or IPv6, so I might try what you're doing *smile*.

How long have you had your router configured that way now?

Thanks.
Message 44 of 91
theoak
Luminary

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

@RogerSC Monday (Nov 25): Router Firmware version: V1.0.2.120_1.0.17 No network on my laptop (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit AC 7260) at that time Airtime Fairness at the time was ON Beamforming at the time was ON Rebooted R7000 and got it back. Updated drivers on AC7260 to 16.6.0.8 Turned off Airtime Fairness - rebooted router Network stayed up solid till Friday (Nov 29). No router reboots. No change in router settings. I did check the router logs every once in a while ... that was it. Friday (Nov 29): Turned Airtime Fairness back ON for kicks to see if that was the culprit. Same success ... router stayed up and solid till Monday (Dec 2). Monday (Dec 2): New firmware released ... bunch of router reboots as a result. Did some basic benchmarks. Found slightly better throughput with V1.0.2.120_1.0.17 so I rolled back to V1.0.2.120_1.0.17. This is where I am at. So ... after all is said and done ... it appears to be an Intel driver issue for me as I have not been able to repeat the issue. I currently run with Airtime Fairness OFF ... I have no G devices so why have the router do work that it does not have too.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 45 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Thanks for all the information. I agree that there's no point to "Airtime Fairness" at my house, either, and I was fine with turning it off once I had some wireless dropouts on 2.4GHz.

I'm giving it a try now with Airtime Fairness off and Beamforming on, and we'll see what happens. I did like the latest dd-wrt, so I have a good fallback, too.
Message 46 of 91
suzook
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

how did you get beamforming on? I do not see an option for that?
Message 47 of 91
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Guys,
After reading some of the users upgrading to the new FW, I was a bit on the fence. My concerns were the wireless link and speeds as well as not accessing via web browser after the update.

I took the plunge!!!!! I updated from V1.0.2.120_1.0.17 FW to the latest one via the routers GUI.

1) Used FF, cleared all cache 1st
2) access router page and sure enough there was a message in the header that there was a FW update.
3) backed up my config profile
4) Clicked update and waited.
5) update completed shows FW V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

This was a dirty upgrade and NO 30-30-30 hard reset.

I went back in to the router settings and it had remembered all my previous settings from the old FW. I ran a quick speedtest on the WIRED Lan and it was more responsive 😄

Ran another speed test on the iPhone 5 (Current iOS7) , first test was about 6 ft away line of sight, it was quick and fast , full bars and full speed. I then went downstairs and was surprised that I was still connected the wireless network(5Ghz) and ran a speed test, it pinged and gave me a nice speed, no stall outs or loss of connection. Color me impressed.

I have not tested out the Xbox1 yet. Will let you guys know how it works.

Thus far THIS FW is working good for me, way better than FW V1.0.2.120_1.0.17 .

😄
Message 48 of 91
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Message 49 of 91
sdrm
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Yeah I am looking forward to the beam forming option too. Was one of the reason why I purchased the router but did not know it hasn't been implemented in it and is a beta thing.
Message 50 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E