NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

suzook wrote:
how did you get beamforming on? I do not see an option for that?

From the firmware that was pulled the other day, not this latest one. 1.0.2.120, as I recall. I'm currently checking that one out with airtime fairness off and beamforming on.
Message 51 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

RogerSC wrote:

I'm giving it a try now with Airtime Fairness off and Beamforming on, and we'll see what happens. I did like the latest dd-wrt, so I have a good fallback, too.

Okay, never mind, tried 1.0.2.120 again, and just got a 2.4GHz. dropout with Beamforming enabled. I guess it just isn't ready for prime time yet. Back to dd-wrt for the moment.
Message 52 of 91
theoak
Luminary

The only thing I have on 2.4 is my printer and my wireless security camera. I would have them on 5 Ghz too ... but they did not come with that option. Phones, tablets, laptops, satellite receivers ... have them all set to 5 Ghz.

While Beamforming "can" be done on 2.4 ... it is my understanding that it was left up to the manufacturer. When AC was drafted beamforming became part of the standard; hence, I find it odd that you are getting issues on the 2.4 band with it ON.

Maybe I should flip my stuff to 2.4 and see what happens?

As I have said in my other replies ... the main reason why I run on 5 Ghz is:

1. Everybody and his dog around me is on 2.4 and on every channel.
2. No one, at least via inSSIDer, is on 5 Ghz.
3. My kitchen is at the middle of my home, so that is the best spot for my router; unfortunately, every time the wife uses the microwave my 2.4 band drops completely.
4. At distance I get the same throughput at 5 as I did on 2.4.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 53 of 91
theoak
Luminary

Reading up on Airtime Fairness ... there are a ga-zillion ways you can do it at the end of the day ...

The basic premise though is that G devices will take longer to communicate to the router than N devices. Hence G devices will end up consuming more router time. So Airtime Fairness algorithms are developed to help ensure that all clients get a fair share of time.

There is another side of Airtime Fairness though that implies a N device at distance X and a N device and distance 2X ... the N device at distance 2X will also need more time to deliver its message. Airtime Fairness can also consider too then the distance (or obstacles like walls) of clients.
RBK53 v2
Message 54 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

theoak wrote:

While Beamforming "can" be done on 2.4 ... it is my understanding that it was left up to the manufacturer. When AC was drafted beamforming became part of the standard; hence, I find it odd that you are getting issues on the 2.4 band with it ON.

Maybe I should flip my stuff to 2.4 and see what happens?

I use both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz., so it isn't one-or-the-other for me. When I got the dropout on 2.4GHz., I was using my iPad on 5GHz., sitting at the farthest point from my router in my house, and had other clients on 2.4GHz. Since I didn't spend a lot of time on this, I didn't switch my iPad to 2.4GHz. (not use 5GHz.) to find out if I still got a 2.4GHz. dropout, but this fit the pattern that I was seeing before with both Airtime Fairness and Beamforming enabled, a 2.4GHz. dropout about once a day. At my place, I can use either 2.4GHz. or 5GHz. so I do. 5GHz. is totally clear, and offers wireless-ac, but I don't have any wireless-ac clients yet. Still shopping for them, not in a big hurry *smile*.

I could try moving clients between 2.4 and 5GHz. to see if that has any effect, but I do have a client that only has 2.4GHz. that needs to constantly be on, a WNCE2100 ethernet bridge that I use for my Verizon Network Extender. So when I get a 2.4GHz. drop, our cell phone signal goes back to being very low, and the phone batteries go down VERY quickly. So keeping the wireless on when we have 3 phones here is pretty important to me.

That's why I switched back to dd-wrt instead of playing with the Netgear firmware to see if I could characterize the failure more precisely. Dd-wrt firmware has been very stable for me so far, although missing a couple of features that this router should have for what it costs.
Message 55 of 91
wgentine
Aspirant

Roger, i'm suffering of the same problem at the same circumstances you are. How's your experience running dd-wrt. Did it solve your problems? How about WAN->LAN performance? Did you benchmark it? I'm cooperating with Netgear's engineering but didn't receive any updates from them since I sent the debug info.
Message 56 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wgentine wrote:

How's your experience running dd-wrt. Did it solve your problems? How about WAN->LAN performance? Did you benchmark it?

Yes, I have two issues open with Netgear and have supplied a lot of information to them. I haven't heard anything from them since handing over the debug info, either. Hopefully this will lead to fixes for these problems.

I don't generally benchmark things immediately, I just look and see if my internet download speed has changed, and if everything seems to be working, keeping a close eye on stability.

And everything seems to be working for me here. I don't have a great download speed, though, so it doesn't take much to look "normal". No wireless dropouts or degrading performance yet, things are working just fine.
Message 57 of 91
dowop
Tutor

I have had the this router about 6 weeks. 3 different firmwares & the longest I have went without dropouts or complete degradation of signal is 6 days. I did get a e-mail from won hung who wanted me to start keeping logs. I think I wasted $200.00.
Message 58 of 91
LeeH
Prodigy

What is dropping Internet to the router or clients? Is the degradation on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band?
Message 59 of 91
csm746
Novice

I have had the R7000 since it first hit the shelves. Been running on all the firmware versions including 2.164. The only time I had an internet problem was when I first hooked it up to Comcast, many websites did not return. That was on the ISP issued DNS, so I placed Open DNS static addresses in the config and no issues since. I have suffered no internet drops and it has been solid. I use WPA-2 personal, port-forwarding, DynDNS, VPN to work constantly and all has worked. Most recently, I replaced the wireless in two Dell laptops with Intel 7260 AC half mini adapter and all is well
Message 60 of 91
madhatter
Apprentice

I just bought an r7000 and installed it yesterday. Initial impressions:

1) Original FW worked fine for the first 5 hours before I upgrade to 164.
2) I upgraded to 164 22 hours ago and it's been stable.
3) It "feels" a little faster than my r6300 v1 that this is replacing. I think the original firmware "felt" a little snappier than 164, but I don't have any real evidence of that.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 61 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

Well, I just upgrade to V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 and I still can't begin to get the speeds I had when I first got the modem. Sitting in the same place (right next to the modem) with the same device (Nexus 5 connected via the 5ghz network), I could push 90Mbps+. Even with this new release, it's no better than 25Mbps.

Anyone else having similar issues with an 802.11ac device?
Message 62 of 91
theoak
Luminary

Is this a "speedtest.net" test? How are you testing this?
RBK53 v2
Message 63 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

A fair question, yes, in all tests, I used the speedtest.net app for Android. In today's test, after the firmware upgrade, I even switched servers. It's nowhere near what it used to be and both rounds were very close as reported.
Message 64 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

When you upgraded to the new firmware, did you do a hard factory reset before manually reconfiguring your router? This is the kind of problem that often happens as a result of not resetting and/or restoring settings from a saved settings file from another firmware version, so I thought I'd ask.

If you didn't do the hard reset and/or restored settings from a saved settings file from previous firmware version, you might try doing the reset using the reset button on the back (just hold the button in for 15 seconds or so, then release it), and re-configure the router settings manually.

The other thing that you can do is to "forget" your wireless network on the Nexus 5, and then reconnect to it.

Hope that this helps.
Message 65 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

I did not do a factory reset and did wonder about that. I have a lot of forwarding rules and resetting up would take an hour or two.

My question was to those running the newest version AND have 802.11ac devices, if they are getting faster performance than me. If not, there is no reason to go thru all of that.

I did "forget" the network on my Nexus 5 and rejoin as that's easiest enough to do.

RogerSC wrote:
When you upgraded to the new firmware, did you do a hard factory reset before manually reconfiguring your router? This is the kind of problem that often happens as a result of not resetting and/or restoring settings from a saved settings file from another firmware version, so I thought I'd ask.

If you didn't do the hard reset and/or restored settings from a saved settings file from previous firmware version, you might try doing the reset using the reset button on the back (just hold the button in for 15 seconds or so, then release it), and re-configure the router settings manually.

The other thing that you can do is to "forget" your wireless network on the Nexus 5, and then reconnect to it.

Hope that this helps.
Message 66 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

I have a new problem to report regarding this latest release. The previous release did the same thing as well; namely, I have Webcam 6 feet away from the router (sitting up a couple of feet higher) and it simply won't connect.

When this happened on the previous release, as soon as I went back to a prior release, the Webcam could connect just fine and stay connected.

I have 4 other Webcams scattered about the house and they are all just fine, it's just the one that is ironically, very close to the router.
Message 67 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

NetGearHead5 wrote:
I did not do a factory reset and did wonder about that. I have a lot of forwarding rules and resetting up would take an hour or two.

If you go back and read this thread from the beginning, you'll see that there are several (at least two *smile*) people that noticed a reduction in wireless speed with this firmware version. They then did a hard reset and reconfigured manually, and found that their wireless speeds went back to what they were expecting.

It's your choice, of course, just pointing that out. The fact that your wireless speed decreased so much was what caught my eye.
Message 68 of 91
Bigcid10
Guide

how does one do a factory hard reset on the r7000 router? per se
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 69 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

There are three ways that I know of:

1. Press the "reset" button in the back of the router in for about 15 seconds, then release. That's what I've been using. Power-cycling after resetting is also a good idea.

2. You can telnet to the router and use the "erase nvram" command. Using telnet with this router requires enabling telnet via a "telnet enabler" utility instead of just a checkbox in the router admin GUI:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/

Immediately after doing this you should power-cycle your router.

3. Under "Advanced Settings" -> "Administration" -> "Backup Settings", use the "Revert to factory default settings" button. Again, I would power-cycle the router after doing this.
Message 70 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

I will definitely do that but it will likely wait until Christmas when I'm on vacation. Just too busy.

In addition though, if going from some releases to others requires consumers to do a reset, Netgear will get back routers in droves. Most people are just not up to the challenge. I work in the business and this is no challenge to me (beyond finding the time).

To be fair though, perhaps it is going to a previous release that mucks things up? I never had to do that with my WNDR3700 or WNDR4500 and always just simply upgraded as releases came out without issue.

RogerSC wrote:
If you go back and read this thread from the beginning, you'll see that there are several (at least two *smile*) people that noticed a reduction in wireless speed with this firmware version. They then did a hard reset and reconfigured manually, and found that their wireless speeds went back to what they were expecting.

It's your choice, of course, just pointing that out. The fact that your wireless speed decreased so much was what caught my eye.
Message 71 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

The instructions from router manufacturers on how to upgrade firmware that go with the firmware often suggest doing a reset after upgrading, so if people read the instructions that go with the new firmware, they'll see it there. And if they get in touch with support, that's almost the first thing that support will suggest to fix problems.

Resetting a router really isn't beyond most people, if they can figure out how to upgrade their router's firmware. Especially if they're well enough acquainted with the router web admin GUI to do what you've done, enter a lot of forwarding rules.

And it isn't just going backwards in firmware versions. If going backwards to another firmware version requires a reset, a reset will also be required going forward to that version or a later version. The firmware code changes between versions, which can change how settings are laid out in the firmware address space, and also the internal interpretation of setting values can also change, so you may need to wipe out the old firmware settings altogether in order to move forwards (or backwards).

I find that most people are willing to do whatever they can do before they return products. The big thing is getting them to buy the products in the first place, apparently *smile*.
Message 72 of 91
NetgearAggie86
Aspirant

First Please Understand...REALLY dumb noob here:

My qualifications for posting here is that I bought this product!

I have not yet installed my R7000 but have a question for you smart guys about what Firmware might be best to start off with.

My primary reason for the purchase was (upgrade from an Linksys E3000) for the USB 3.0 storage to stream DLNA around the home network. Sounds like that feature is less than stellar right now! Additionally, I hoped to get rid of the repeater that I currently have to use to reach the back part of my house...again sounds like current Netgear firmware downgrades your wifi range.

I've been doing TONS of reading (just 'cause I can read it doesn't mean I UNDERSTAND it) and found a discussion on the WRT-DD forum that SmartGuy "Kong" found a fixable error in the current Netgear firmware that actually downgrades the 2.4 wifi range. Apparently these setting are wrong: sromrev is set to 11 and should be 9.
Here's his fix:
nvram set pci/1/1/sromrev=9
nvram commit
reboot

I don't even understand how to enter these parameters! (I assume its using Telnet...don't really know how to use that either!!)

My Question (finally): Considering my goals (USB 3 DLNA stabililty, and Wifi range) what in your opinion is the best firmware for me now? Netgeat original "stock"? Netgear current firmware (perhaps with Kong's fix)? or Current WRT-DD firmware?

Thanks in Advance!
- John
(Please let me know if I have violated any forum decorum rules...again complete noobie here!)
Message 73 of 91
riesscar
Aspirant

Well, I find it truly unbelievable that the discussion about this firmware revision still contains posts from netgear technicians/gurus telling people that it is a failure to factory reset before/after upgrading. It would be one thing if it was only people who failed to do so that were experiencing issues with the new FW; however, this release is littered with bugs and problematic coding. From performance degradation to intermittent connectivity to software incompatibility, this firmware release seems to have rendered the router useless for many (if not most) users. Still the reaction is the same: 'did you do a factory reset'. It would make me laugh if it didn't piss me off so much. This is an expensive router, and the idea that a company would sell it, break it, and then blame the customer is beyond unethical.

I cannot offer useful suggestions for Wi-Fi performance issues and the like; however, I can offer a solution to all those who are suffering from an inability to access the web GUI after updating to this FW: uninstall netgear genie software from ALL desktop computers connected to your network. Despite their so-far unapologetic ignoring of this fact, when Netgear pushed this FW out untested (as they must have) they did so with a concurrent netgear genie update, and the two are not compatible. Netgear genie seems to be affecting login and router identification issues, so the only solutions are to either revert FW's, install a previous version of netgear genie, or else uninstall altogether.

What is most frustrating is that one can only speculate as to whether a fix (via FW or software) is forthcoming, as Netgear does not acknowledge the issue... instead they just tell us to do a factory reset. I have some advice for you Netgear: do an administrators reset on your end and get some people to run the company effectively. This will probably be the last Netgear product I ever buy. ASUS can teach this company a few things.

In utter disgust and vitriol

Carson Riess
Message 74 of 91
LeeH
Prodigy

NetgearAggie86 wrote:
First Please Understand...REALLY dumb noob here:

My qualifications for posting here is that I bought this product!

I have not yet installed my R7000 but have a question for you smart guys about what Firmware might be best to start off with.

My primary reason for the purchase was (upgrade from an Linksys E3000) for the USB 3.0 storage to stream DLNA around the home network. Sounds like that feature is less than stellar right now! Additionally, I hoped to get rid of the repeater that I currently have to use to reach the back part of my house...again sounds like current Netgear firmware downgrades your wifi range.

I've been doing TONS of reading (just 'cause I can read it doesn't mean I UNDERSTAND it) and found a discussion on the WRT-DD forum that SmartGuy "Kong" found a fixable error in the current Netgear firmware that actually downgrades the 2.4 wifi range. Apparently these setting are wrong: sromrev is set to 11 and should be 9.
Here's his fix:
nvram set pci/1/1/sromrev=9
nvram commit
reboot

I don't even understand how to enter these parameters! (I assume its using Telnet...don't really know how to use that either!!)

My Question (finally): Considering my goals (USB 3 DLNA stabililty, and Wifi range) what in your opinion is the best firmware for me now? Netgeat original "stock"? Netgear current firmware (perhaps with Kong's fix)? or Current WRT-DD firmware?

Thanks in Advance!
- John
(Please let me know if I have violated any forum decorum rules...again complete noobie here!)

The USB hard drive functionality is not working right yet for spinning disks. It seems to fail when trying to wake up the drive. I use USB thumb drives and they are working fine.

Stick with your current firmware until you read about a new firmware fixing the USB problem.

Do you current own a USB drive you want to use?
Message 75 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E