NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

NetgearAggie86
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Lee,
Thanks for the advice!

My USB drive (newly acquired from Newegg) is a WD Red 3TB in a Rosewill RX-358 USB3/eSATA enclosure.

I think I will start with the stock Firmware and keep an eye on this board to see if things improve with the next update...I'm afraid WRT-DD is beyond my abilities!

Slightly off topic... is there anything "special' I should do when formatting the WD Red to ensure best compatibility with the Netgear firmware?

- John
Message 76 of 91
LeeH
Prodigy

NetgearAggie86 wrote:
Lee,

Slightly off topic... is there anything "special' I should do when formatting the WD Red to ensure best compatibility with the Netgear firmware?

- John

NTFS should be fine unless you're on a Mac. Take a look in the users manual to see the file systems that are supported and how to set it up.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_12Nov13.pdf

Hopefully a Netgear engineer will determine where the disk time out value is/should be placed and enter in a correct value so we can all hook up our spinning disks.:)
Message 77 of 91
wgentine
Aspirant

Seen i'll never come back to Netgear's firmware after using dd-wrt.

all my problems gone! everything is perfect, even my openvpn server very faulty in net gear's firmware.

my throughput now is 20% better than stock firmware.

Netgear Engineering, no offense.. you should hire some guys from these opensource alternatives to do something better...really.
Message 78 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wgentine wrote:
Seen i'll never come back to Netgear's firmware after using dd-wrt.
All my problems gone! everything is perfect, even my openvpn server very faulty in net gear's firmware. My throughput now is 20% better than stock firmware.

I've had at least one 5GHz. wireless dropout using latest dd-wrt r23040...came back to latest Netgear firmware after that, and am doing fine with it, no wireless dropouts. Even if I hadn't had the 5GHz. dropout, dd-wrt has no IPv6 (without the do-it-yourself part) or implicit beamforming, and no stated intent by the current developer to add either. Netgear will at least try to add implicit beamforming...as they used to say on Rocky and Bullwinkle, "Next time for sure".

So your mileage may vary.
Message 79 of 91
csm746
Novice

NetgearAggie86 wrote:
I've been doing TONS of reading (just 'cause I can read it doesn't mean I UNDERSTAND it) and found a discussion on the WRT-DD forum that SmartGuy "Kong" found a fixable error in the current Netgear firmware that actually downgrades the 2.4 wifi range. Apparently these setting are wrong: sromrev is set to 11 and should be 9.
Here's his fix:
nvram set pci/1/1/sromrev=9
nvram commit
reboot

- John

FYI this fix has been withdrawn by Kong....there is another setting it back in the thread. I have been using NetGear firmware since I switched from Linksys to NetGear at the WNDR4500 release. I ran a series of Linksys routers on DD-WRT. I flashed DD-WRT Kong 23040 onto this R7000 a couple days ago. Stable and fast. I will try the next release of the NetGear firmware.
Message 80 of 91
tonyk132
Aspirant

I too upgraded to 1.0.2.164 hoping it would fix this problem for me, but it did not. From my Win7 PC, when I go to Windows Explorer, under Desktop->Network, this version, and all previous versions of the R7000 firmware, do not see my ReadyNAS or ReadyShare that is on my LAN. But when I use my R6300 with 1.0.2.70, it sees them fine. Maybe I missed a setting difference between the R6300 and the R7000. If so, what would it be? So, for me, it's back to the R6300 until this bug, and all the others I see from this forum, are fixed.

Also, one request I had for Netgear through my work relationship with them was to implement an XML-based settings save and restore, so when you go from a R6300 to a R7000 or whatever, you do not have to redo all your port forwards, and the other time-consuming changes. I get it that you cannot expect an NVRAM image to be the same between router models, but XML should solve this problem. So, Netgear, where is this feature?
Message 81 of 91
csm746
Novice

csm746 wrote:
FYI this fix has been withdrawn by Kong....there is another setting it back in the thread. I have been using NetGear firmware since I switched from Linksys to NetGear at the WNDR4500 release. I ran a series of Linksys routers on DD-WRT. I flashed DD-WRT Kong 23040 onto this R7000 a couple days ago. Stable and fast. I will try the next release of the NetGear firmware.

Well, I arrived home to find the internet response to be extremely lethargic. I have not experienced this with the NetGear firmware. I shut down the router and re-started it and it is working well again. I will give it another couple days to see how it works out, but I may have to revert back to 2.164 for stability.
Message 82 of 91
LeeH
Prodigy

psychopomp1 wrote:
And now my wifi AC speeds are back to normal ie 1300mbps on fw 1.0.1.22. If it aint broke...

What wireless adapter are you using to get 1300mbps?
Message 83 of 91
psychopomp1
Novice

Asus PCE-AC68 desktop PCI adaptor 🙂
Message 84 of 91
Lexist2112
Luminary

are you using the latest FW from Asus???? https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/#support
Message 85 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

RogerSC wrote:
If you go back and read this thread from the beginning, you'll see that there are several (at least two *smile*) people that noticed a reduction in wireless speed with this firmware version. They then did a hard reset and reconfigured manually, and found that their wireless speeds went back to what they were expecting.

It's your choice, of course, just pointing that out. The fact that your wireless speed decreased so much was what caught my eye.

Okay, I found the time to do a reset which I accomplished by holding a paperclip into the reset hole in the back for 15+ seconds and then doing a power-cycle (I pulled the plug for a minute+).

My speeds are back to normal but I learned some things along the way. My son helped me setup the router and we kept doing speed tests (we're sitting right next to the R7000 using my Nexus 5 connected on the 5ghz network). Btw, we're using Speedtest.net's wonderful Android app on my Nexus 5 to get the particulars.

Again, as a context, when I first got the router, I was getting 90Mbps+ down and 10Mbps+ up. Somewhere along the line, I was getting much less than that (25Mbps down).

As soon as I did the reset and brought the router up, all we did was setup the SSID names and join password and ran a test. The times weren't stellar - 35Mbps+ down. Barf.

I immediately went to the DNS servers and changed them to OpenDNS' DNS servers. BOOM! The speeds went to 100Mpbs+ down and 12Mbps+ up. Yyyyyiiiiipppppeeeee!

As we kept making changes, we kept running speed tests and then went up and down and up and down. See below for lessons learned.

Things to look out for that might be killing your speed:

- Your IPS's DNS servers might stink. Mine did and we're on Bright House. Consider using OpenDNS' DNS servers, or Google's. Use Steve Gibson's DNS rater to figure out what is good for you.

- Under QoS Setup, turning off the two checkboxes under WMM brought down the speed considerably.

- I stream a lot of large video files in my house so I have a couple of QoS Upstream rules that prioritize my Boxee Box and WD TV Live traffic above everything else to keep video running smoothly. So, the Boxee Box has a MAC Rule setting it to the highest and the WD TV Live is set to High. I deleted all the 'default' rules that came with the router. Once I did this, this also halved the speed to my Nexus 5. How to fix? I simply added a MAC rule for my Nexus 5 and also made it high. That fixed that.

- I found the Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence checkbox had no affect either way. Nevertheless, it is off.

- I have Preamble Mode set to Short Preamble.

Right now, interestingly enough, the first time I run a speed text, I will typically get something in the 50Mbps+ down range BUT the second time I run it, it will peg 100Mpbs+ down (I only pay for 90Mbps down and 10Mbps up). Soooo, it could be faster but that's the limit I have. I take all this to mean that it takes the QoS priority rules a few seconds (i.e., the second round of speed tests) to kick in and take affect.

Oh, btw, a webcam in the same room with the router wasn't working previously and after all of this, it is also working.

I'm pretty happy and we'll see how this goes. I hope this is helpful to someone.
Message 86 of 91
priuscat
Novice

Thanks for the suggestion about open DNS servers, When I was video chatting using SKYPE or FACEBOOK my image would freeze while the person on the other side would work fine. By using 208 67 222 222 fixed it, yay!
Message 87 of 91
sdrm
Aspirant

Can you please tell us where the open DNS server option is located. Thanks
Message 88 of 91
RogerSC
Virtuoso

sdrm wrote:

OpenDNS is the name of a company that supplies free basic DNS services. Go to their web site and follow the instructions there if you want to try their DNS services. They do a good job. You essentially put their DNS server addresses into you router configuration on the internet setup page, and you're good to go.

Your ISP's DNS services should be better for you, but apparently not always *smile*.
Message 89 of 91
NetGearHead5
Guide

sdrm wrote:

On the "Basic" tab, click the "Internet" menu option, now notice on the right there is a section named, "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address". If you want to use OpenDNS' servers, just change the Primary DNS to 208.67.222.222 and the Secondary DNS to 208.67.220.220.

Again, I encourage you to download Steve Gibson's utility to see what works for where you are at.

OpenDNS runs a high quality operation and not only are their servers fast, but if you setup an account on their end, you can filter websites for your home.

Good stuff.
Message 90 of 91
aan1970
Aspirant

I tried to use the Genie and it didn't recognize the New r7000 Nighthawk but at setup Genie came up and downloaded a update. All seems to work except one Ethernet light stays amber going to get anther Ethernet Cable, it hooks up to my MicroCell for phones.
Message 91 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E