Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15

I too am having the same issue of seeing the "a firmware upgrade is available" even after updating the firmware....I've seen other people mention about opening a support ticket with netgear about this, but I have not seen where to do this whenever i login to my.netgear.com. Can someone point me in the right direction? Hopefully they fix this ASAP
Message 76 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

well, that is a small problem to the hidden SSID problem, no device can connect to the router if SSID is not broadcasting.
Just go to the support page and create a ticket: http://support.netgear.com/for_home/default.aspx
i would not register the product just yet...choose that you have a per-purchase question in the pull-down menu.
Message 77 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

Me i have a problem with netgear genie.

if i click on "attached devices" in GUI interface my GUI crash and impossible restart my netgeargenie, on firefox, IE, or chrome

force restart my R7000 someone already had this problem
Message 78 of 152
Highlighted
Star

SntaCruz83 wrote:
I too upgraded to the latest firmware (V1.0.2.194_1.0.15) and am still seeing notifications that a firmware update is available. My 5GHz range seems to have taken quite a hit though. Prior to the update I was getting consistent speeds of 30/5 throughout the house. Now I only get these speeds in the office where the router is located but downstairs speeds are cut to around 10/3. Some areas even end up losing connection and my phone (Samsung GS4) switches to LTE. Sometime tomorrow I'll probably do a factory reset and 30-30-30 to see if it helps any. I'll also test with a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 to make sure it's not just the GS4.

Currently setup to WPA2-PSK [AES] and tried enabling/disabling WMM -- worked better with WMM enabled.

I'm new to all this. What is a "30-30-30"?
Message 79 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

nobody? for my problem thx
Message 80 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sometimes a 30 30 30, has worked when other resets have not. First you should follow the press reset until power led flashes then release, this should erase ALL user settings, if not repeat process again.

I believe you push and hold reset the entire time. 1st 30 with power, 2nd 30 no power, 3rd with power then release power and wait for unit to reboot.

nxxo,

Not sure which genie you're referring too, because of netgear's Stupidity of referring to both the PC or APP version and the Router's internal version by the same name Talk about creating confusion!

Remove the PC or app version if you're having a problem with it. IMOP it's not worth installing, after the first ten minutes the novelty wears off and it does seem like people who use it seem to have connection problems which go away after uninstalling it.
Message 81 of 152
Highlighted

stevnim wrote:
I'm new to all this. What is a "30-30-30"?

Sorry for any confusion -- this was my first Netgear router and didn't know that the 30-30-30 technique for factory resetting a router didn't apply. That's all I really meant when I said I'd try doing a 30-30-30. It didn't help my issue anyway. Good luck.
Message 82 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

searay wrote:
What settings if any did you change when rolling back?

When I rolled back to R7000-V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 I did not change any settings.

Again...the Netflix/Video Streaming issue was resolved immediately upon rollback. I can once again stream from my NASS and Netflix with multiple users without an issue.

I appreciate your advice on telling me to use factory defaults. Unfortunately I purchased this router for a lot more Access Control at the User Level. Paying $200 for factory defaults is not really acceptable. The only thing keeping me from returning this is the large increase on my internal network. I can live with the bugs but I really do hope Netgear can fix the Access control. At this price point I should be able to Label my clients and manage at the individual MAC and IP level without issue.

If there is any other Open firmware out there that can provide this level of control I'd be willing to try it.
Message 83 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

searay wrote:

nxxo,

Not sure which genie you're referring too, because of netgear's Stupidity of referring to both the PC or APP version and the Router's internal version by the same name Talk about creating confusion!

Remove the PC or app version if you're having a problem with it. IMOP it's not worth installing, after the first ten minutes the novelty wears off and it does seem like people who use it seem to have connection problems which go away after uninstalling it.

Drectly on the web my problem is on www.routerlogin.com, if i click on attached device on firefox or chrome or IE it's always the same problem my access on www.routerlogin.net is freeze, I have to restart my router to return in www.routerlogin.net. But I do not lose my internet connection all works fine but I can no longer entered www.routerlogin.net

and im so sorry for my english Smiley Sad thx you for your help
Message 84 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I agree with searay on this one. I've never used "Genie" on my PC, and never seen any of the problems that people that use it talk about . You should be able to see everything on the web admin GUI on the router itself, and just installing and using the "Genie" thing on your PC seems to create problems with the router. I would just uninstall "Genie" off your PC (assuming that you have it installed), and start over from there. I usually log into my router using "192.168.1.1" via a bookmark and use autologin on Lastpass to keep me logged in all the time. But that shouldn't matter, using routerlogin.com should have the same result. The people that I hear about that have trouble with routerlogin.com have installed "Genie" on their PC and run into trouble because of that.
Message 85 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

harmfuljays wrote:
Ever since I upgraded to this version there have been severe connectivity issues. Primarily when Netflix is running. If any other 2.4 client uses the network all the clients drop and buffer and have connectivity issues. I've disabled Downstream QOS and have tried it with and without WMM...seems to run worse with WMM disabled. This is rather ridiculous for a $200 router. I upgraded from a WNR3500 and I like the speed of the R7000 internally but at this point its not an upgrade.

I've also turned off the Access Control which needs some major fine tuning.

Would it be beneficial to scrap the Netgear firmware? Anyone have suggestions or experience this issue? As of right now I am rolling back to

R7000-V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Thanks.

I suggested using defaults because you didn't seem to understand what you were doing. No one with a knowledge of WMM would turn it off and expect better results, same as unplugging the router would drop connections. You like so many other posters are making changes without understanding what they do. Then post about how bad the router is after making said changes. I stream all day long to several wireless devices, the wife is using VPN for work, I have 2 magicjack phones in use at the same time, downloading from giganews, copying ISO files from laptop to NAS, facetime via ipad air, slingboxing HD Holiday Video to family in Arizona, and NOT ONCE have I had to use QOS.
Message 86 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

RogerSC wrote:
I agree with searay on this one. I've never used "Genie" on my PC, and never seen any of the problems that people that use it talk about . You should be able to see everything on the web admin GUI on the router itself, and just installing and using the "Genie" thing on your PC seems to create problems with the router. I would just uninstall "Genie" off your PC (assuming that you have it installed), and start over from there.

I usually log into my router using "192.168.1.1" via a bookmark and use autologin on Lastpass to keep me logged in all the time. But that shouldn't matter, using routerlogin.com should have the same result. The people that I hear about that have trouble with routerlogin.com have installed "Genie" on their PC and run into trouble because of that.

ok i have find the BUG

go to Advanced mode/Security/Acces control

turn on acces control, Allow or Block no difference

after return on Administration and clic on attached device

ta-dam magic and welcome firmware BUG
Message 87 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

Ok i have find the Bug

go to on your router 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net

go on Advanced mode/Security/acces control

and active control acces with allow or block no difference

after apply

when restart go to Basic mode and click on Attached Device

Ta-Dam !!!!! Magic welcom with the firmware bug Smiley Happy

for return on your router reset or cut the power
Message 88 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

nXXo wrote:
Ok i have find the Bug. Go to on your router 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net. Go on Advanced mode/Security/acces control
and active control acces with allow or block no difference. After apply when restart
go to Basic mode and click on Attached Device.
Ta-Dam !!!!! Magic welcom with the firmware bug Smiley Happy

I don't need access control, and don't use the Basic part of the web admin GUI, so I wouldn't have seen this particular firmware issue. If you can duplicate it (it's reproducible, as they say *smile*), I'd suggest that you open an online case on my.netgear.com. Pretty easy to do that. And it helps everyone for Netgear to know about all their bugs so that they can fix them *smile*.

Thanks.
Message 89 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Got bored and installed the genie app blocked a pc from that APP couldn't unblock it, deleted it for 3rd time.
Message 90 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

I just got a R7000 and tried the leaked V1.0.2.197_1.0.17 firmware that can be found by putting exactly "V1.0.2.197_1.0.17" in Google. Anyways, the only things I have noticed is:

With "20/40 MHz Coexistence" disabled, my Atheros 802.11n as part of my ASUS Notebook will not have reliable connections with the R7000 using WPA2-PSK (AES) as in it will connect and work for a short while and then depending on my luck, it will connect again and not have a connection at all but if I change the Atheros to 802.11g, it will connect fine. If I enable the 20/40Mhz coexistence, then the Atheros works correctly using 802.11n. Is this actually a bug because one thing I noticed is when I had it disabled, is that the Advanced summary page for 2.4Ghz shows 2 channels, one is the one I selected which shows as Primary and then it will have a secondary channel which seems to be assigned by the R7000. Now if I have the 20/40Mhz enabled, it will only show the channel I selected, shouldn't it show 2 channels when the 20/40Mhz is enabled and show only one channel when the 20/40Mhz is disabled?
Before configuring, I did the hold reset button until power light blinks and then release and then also did the "erase nvram" and "reboot" in the unix shell. Just out of curiousity, do you always reset to defaults when flashing a new version of firmware or do you only do that when you have problems since some settings like port forwarding and assigning WAN IP addresses takes time to re-enter back into the router each time the settings are changed.
Message 91 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

When "enable 20/40MHz coexistence" is enabled, you will see only one channel as you did. When it is disabled, the router will try to use a 40MHz channel width, which requires two channels, the one that you select plus an extension channel. The extension channel is either above or below the channel that you select, depending on various factors, sometimes you can select "upper" or "lower" for the extension channel. So what you saw is the correct behavior.

Also, yes, in general I usually do an nvram clear, and then manually reconfigure after upgrading firmware. That's a good place to start with a new firmware version. If two versions are very closely related, and the README doesn't say to do a reset, then I might not. But still will watch for problems, and might then do a reset, etc., later on.
Message 92 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for your input RogerSC. Now, I have a question, is there a reason that the Atheros 802.11n randomly connects and even when connected, it doesn't work when 20/40MHz coexistence is disabled but works 100% when it's enabled? I was reading on smallnetbuilder.com and in this writeup http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed
it seems to say to turn off channel bonding in fix #5, isn't that the same thing as disabling 20/40MHz coexistence or is it something else altogether?

As for the R7000, is it true that the 30/30/30 reset doesn't work on the R7000 because someone in one of the posts on the forums said the correct way to do it on the R7000 is basically to Hold down Reset for 5 to max 8 seconds until power led blinks and then let go. Is the correct way to tell that it worked basically the router using the default SSID/passphrase and also password as the password for logging in. Does holding down reset for 5 to max 8 seconds until power led blinks only need to be done once after upgrading firmware or is it supposed to be done like this:
upgrade firmware -> power off -> power on -> hold down reset until power led blinks and then let go.
Message 93 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

RogerSC wrote:
I don't need access control, and don't use the Basic part of the web admin GUI,

if you go in Advanced mode and Administration/Attached device it's the same result
Message 94 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Almighty1 wrote:
Thanks for your input RogerSC. Now, I have a question, is there a reason that the Atheros 802.11n randomly connects and even when connected, it doesn't work when 20/40MHz coexistence is disabled but works 100% when it's enabled? I was reading on smallnetbuilder.com and in this writeup http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed
it seems to say to turn off channel bonding in fix #5, isn't that the same thing as disabling 20/40MHz coexistence or is it something else altogether?

As for the R7000, is it true that the 30/30/30 reset doesn't work on the R7000 because someone in one of the posts on the forums said the correct way to do it on the R7000 is basically to Hold down Reset for 5 to max 8 seconds until power led blinks and then let go. Is the correct way to tell that it worked basically the router using the default SSID/passphrase and also password as the password for logging in. Does holding down reset for 5 to max 8 seconds until power led blinks only need to be done once after upgrading firmware or is it supposed to be done like this:
upgrade firmware -> power off -> power on -> hold down reset until power led blinks and then let go.

Yeah, I had issues with the 30/30/30 reset as well. After a week of no issues on 5ghz, I suddenly started seeing the disconnect issues all over. I could see the SID, but couldn't connect, even after rebooting! Ended up having to reset - and the only way to do it was to hold reset for 5 seconds..30/30/30 did not work.
Message 95 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Almighty1 wrote:

Okay, I'll tell you what I think. When you tell your router to try 40MHz. channel width (turning off "enable 20/40MHz. coexistence"), the router being able to use 40MHz. requires a couple of channels with little enough interference to make it happen. Routers will try to use 40MHz. on a crowded band like 2.4MHz., not be able to, so back off to 20MHz. They will continue to try to use 40MHz. since that's what you've told them to do, and may succeed for a while and then back off, which looks like unstable behavior to clients. That's one good reason for not using 40MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz. in areas where there's several neighboring wireless networks, along with being kind to your neighbors by not (trying) taking up so much of the available space on the 2.4GHz. wireless band. I'm not sure what the dynamic is on the client end, but most likely they'll have a reaction to that instability that includes disconnects in your case.

When you use 20MHz. channel width (enable "enable 20/40MHz. coexistence), the router will just be solid and the client will be happy and stay connected. If there isn't too much interference, that is. It is good to use a wireless client app like inSSIDer or WiFi Analyzer on Android to find the clearest channel on 2.4GHz. and set your router for that channel.
Message 96 of 152
Novice

jyen59 wrote:
Yeah, I had issues with the 30/30/30 reset as well. After a week of no issues on 5ghz, I suddenly started seeing the disconnect issues all over. I could see the SID, but couldn't connect, even after rebooting! Ended up having to reset - and the only way to do it was to hold reset for 5 seconds..30/30/30 did not work.

Interesting.... I haven't tried 30/30/30 yet but wouldn't doing the 30/30/30 still have the same result since wouldn't the first 30 actually just meant the power led was flashing and instead of letting go, you pulled the power but I thought the unit would have erased the nvram when the power led starts flashing.
Message 97 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

inSSIDer was the first thing I used but didn't use WiFi Analyzer as it didn't do the table format but just a graph since I basically checked to see what channels were taken in both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz in in basically 9 positions at the house. Front Left, Front Center, Front Right, Middle Left, Middle Right, Rear Left, Rear Center and Rear Right and this is what I found:

Channel # # of routers broadcasting SSID
1 8
2 1
3 5
4 3
5 3
6 9
7 1
8 1
9 2
10 2
11 11
36 1
149 1
153 1
157 1

So basically I went with 8 as 2, 7, 8 all have only 1 and the cleanest channels. I used 161 for the 5GHz since no one is using that one.

I think it's the description that was confusing since I thought enabling the setting meant allowing 40Mhz and 20Mhz and disabling the setting meant 20Mhz only. I guess the thing with using 40MHz is, there should be a setting to allow one to select the secondary channel as well.
Message 98 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Almighty1 wrote:
Interesting.... I haven't tried 30/30/30 yet but wouldn't doing the 30/30/30 still have the same result since wouldn't the first 30 actually just meant the power led was flashing and instead of letting go, you pulled the power but I thought the unit would have erased the nvram when the power led starts flashing.

Yeah, you'd think so, but it just doesn't work on this model. It's worked on my other Linksys and dlink routers. Maybe its just router.
Message 99 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

@Almighty1

If you are really felling adventurous ... download Tamosoft's throughput applications (free).

At the end of the day it is about throughput ... getting data to your devices as fast as you can.

If you have 2 laptops, hook one up to the router directly with Tamosoft's "server" running.

Then with your other laptop have it at one location wirelessly running Tamosoft's "client" running.

Now change the channels on your router. You may be surprised how the router behaves with different channels combined with your environment.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 100 of 152
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements