Highlighted

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15

I use it with a Synology DS1512+. On 2.4ghz, I got 40Mbps+ down and on 5ghz with 802.11ac, I get 105Mbps+ down.

sdrm wrote:
Is anyone using a NAS with this router. I was wondering what speeds are you getting using wifi at both 2.4 and 5GHz.
Message 26 of 152
Highlighted

It certainly can't hurt to use Steve Gibson's DNS benchmark util OR you could just try to use OpenDNS IP addresses for your DNS server and see what happens. It's certainly easy to change.

Someone else commented on my post that after they switched DNS servers, it fixed their Skype issues.

Mr_Network wrote:
So last night my main pc that's hard wired to my R7000, started having long delays on page requests and other web based applications started dropping and reconnecting. So I cycled power on my modem and router and it was still acting flakey. I was reading thru the thread and saw someone mention Steve Gibson's DNS benchmark. Is that something I should look into, I'm not sure if it pertains to the router or my ISP's DNS's. Logged into my router and performed the firmware update and still having delays when pulling up pages."still see the firmware update available, but leads to no update avaialble,will put in ticket*". Even my speed tests start strong then drop then shoot back up. Any one else come across this or recommendations??? Thanks!
Message 27 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

Mr_Network wrote:
So last night my main pc that's hard wired to my R7000, started having long delays on page requests and other web based applications started dropping and reconnecting. So I cycled power on my modem and router and it was still acting flakey. I was reading thru the thread and saw someone mention Steve Gibson's DNS benchmark. Is that something I should look into, I'm not sure if it pertains to the router or my ISP's DNS's. Logged into my router and performed the firmware update and still having delays when pulling up pages."still see the firmware update available, but leads to no update avaialble,will put in ticket*". Even my speed tests start strong then drop then shoot back up. Any one else come across this or recommendations??? Thanks!

I highly recommend you use Steve Gibsons GRC Gibson's GRC. This utilty will let you know if your current DNS is working on Cached and Uncached addresses. Also give you other avilable DNS that work in your area.

Just do it, you won't regret it
Message 28 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Lexist2112 wrote:
I highly recommend you use Steve Gibsons GRC Gibson's GRC. This utilty will let you know if your current DNS is working on Cached and Uncached addresses. Also give you other avilable DNS that work in your area.

Just do it, you won't regret it

Thanks guys for the recommendations. So when it comes to DNSs' what's preferred, one that uses cached or uncached addresses and why? Sorry, would like to understand better. And does distance play a factor when concidering your DNS? Example-isp's OC isn't more then a few miles away if that and they're DNSs' are caca compared to a dns that's better that's located say 45 miles away? thanks-
Message 29 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

Mr_Network wrote:
Thanks guys for the recommendations. So when it comes to DNSs' what's preferred, one that uses cached or uncached addresses and why? Sorry, would like to understand better. And does distance play a factor when concidering your DNS? Example-isp's OC isn't more then a few miles away if that and they're DNSs' are caca compared to a dns that's better that's located say 45 miles away? thanks-

I suggest reading Steve's tutorial on how his software works scroll to the bottom of th page and start with the tutorial. Very enlightening. To answer your question, taken right from Steve's page:

What is DNS Caching and Why Does it Matter?

The process of resolving a DNS query differs greatly depending upon whether or not the DNS nameserver being queried already knows the answer. One of the most important aspects of the Domain Name System (DNS) is the concept of local caching of slowly expiring information. By maintaining a “cache” (a local copy) of the IP addresses of frequently queried domain names, lookup times for the IPs of those domain names that are already present “in the cache” is absolutely minimized. Moreover, the load on other nameservers that would otherwise need to be queried for the answer is reduced, and overall Internet traffic is minimized.

When the IP address for a requested domain name is not already present in the local resolver's cache, the resolver must perform a series of Internet queries to lookup and acquire the answer for the querying client. Once this new lookup has been performed, that information will then be cached and retained, often for many days or even weeks, under the assumption that someone else, or even the same client, might ask again before long. When that happens, the answer can be delivered much faster since the server being queried will have retained the answer from a sufficiently recent previous query.
Message 30 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

Okay, I drank the cool-aidSmiley Happy I was bored and updated to the latest FW via the routers GUI. Indeed, it said that there was a new FW upgrade. Backed up my router config and off I went. Pushed the update button and 1.5 min later it had updated and rebooted, checked all settings and my config was all there. I did a quick LAN speed test and it was just as smokin fast(56/5.3). All my wireless clients were still connected and functioning well. Just in case I went ahead and powered down the router and powered it back on. Recheck all speed test both LAN and Wireless and all is good.

I checked before and after and the" upgrade info" was still there :confused:, bummer, just a bug.

Will report this to my Netgear tech. ASAPSmiley Very Happy

Update: I reported it and hopefully they will address it in the next updateSmiley Very Happy
Message 31 of 152
Highlighted

I too upgraded to the latest firmware (V1.0.2.194_1.0.15) and am still seeing notifications that a firmware update is available. My 5GHz range seems to have taken quite a hit though. Prior to the update I was getting consistent speeds of 30/5 throughout the house. Now I only get these speeds in the office where the router is located but downstairs speeds are cut to around 10/3. Some areas even end up losing connection and my phone (Samsung GS4) switches to LTE. Sometime tomorrow I'll probably do a factory reset and 30-30-30 to see if it helps any. I'll also test with a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 to make sure it's not just the GS4.

Currently setup to WPA2-PSK [AES] and tried enabling/disabling WMM -- worked better with WMM enabled.
Message 32 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

I upgraded to this firmware. I did a local flash over wired. I reset the router, flashed, and reset again. My router still resets when the reset button is pushed. My old router would not reset after flash using the router to do the update directly from netgear. I wonder if any of you are having reset problems after upgrading.

The 2.4 works fine after I went in and configured it. I don't use the 5 band yet but I hope those of you noticing degradation will enter in support tickets so it can be fixed.
Message 33 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

I checked out the new Genie application with this firmware. It works now without crashing the routers login.
Message 34 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

SntaCruz83, Like yourself I was experiencing the same results right after upgraing to the latest FW.. So I did a quick 15sec power down restarted the router and cleared all network info within the iPhone. It's better in terms of the speed, but still will take a 1sec or more to change from LTE to 5ghz wifi didn't have this issue in last FW. The update has not affected the xbox1 surprisingly and still gets the same speed as the previous FW. Will give it another day and if doesn't resolve,may go back to the previous FWSmiley Very Happy
Message 35 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I'm on this firmware as well, have been for several days with no problems. Performance looks about the same to me on both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz. here, and I'm fine with it.

If you're experiencing a noticeable dip in performance on either 2.4GHz. or 5GHz., try power-cycling it first. If this doesn't help, then be sure to try a factory default reset of the router, followed by a power-cycle, then manually reconfigure your settings. This will often restore your router to normal performance.
Message 36 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

RogerSC wrote:
I'm on this firmware as well, have been for several days with no problems. Performance looks about the same to me on both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz. here, and I'm fine with it.

If you're experiencing a noticeable dip in performance on either 2.4GHz. or 5GHz., try power-cycling it first. If this doesn't help, then be sure to try a factory default reset of the router, followed by a power-cycle, then manually reconfigure your settings. This will often restore your router to normal performance.

Agreed. Just the issue of 1-2 sec change from LTE to wifi on the iphone which is something I didn't have before the upgrade. Just for fun I reverted back to the previous FW and the wifi signal holds and ALL THE TIME and the speeds are more stable.

Don't get me wrong the latest FW is good and works well, just wanting the consistency I had before.

So as of now I am on 1.0.2.164.1.0.15, running smooth and well, I think I'll stick with this one for now.Smiley Very Happy
Message 37 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Seems that this firmware (I've not tried earlier firmwares so I don't know if this is a new problem) is broken when it comes to devices on the network configured with static IP V4 addresses.

My networks is set up as 192.168.1.X

I have a number of static devices set up from .150 to .250
DHCP is set up from .2 to .50

The router is assigning dynamic addresses to the static devices. I can see this in the "connected devices" views

All devices on the network can connect to the internet
Devices that support IPV6 can talk to each other just fine via IPV6
Devices that do not support IPV6 and are assigned static IPV4 addresses cannot talk to other static IPV4 devices

If I disable IPV6 the problem is not solved - so it seems something is broken in the DHCP server for IPV4...

I wasted about a half hour chatting with Netgear support - the guy was clearly not understanding the problem - he kept asking if my computer could not access the internet.
Message 38 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

ddruker wrote:
Seems that this firmware (I've not tried earlier firmwares so I don't know if this is a new problem) is broken when it comes to devices on the network configured with static IP V4 addresses.

My networks is set up as 192.168.1.X

I have a number of static devices set up from .150 to .250
DHCP is set up from .2 to .50

The router is assigning dynamic addresses to the static devices. I can see this in the "connected devices" views

All devices on the network can connect to the internet
Devices that support IPV6 can talk to each other just fine via IPV6
Devices that do not support IPV6 and are assigned static IPV4 addresses cannot talk to other static IPV4 devices

If I disable IPV6 the problem is not solved - so it seems something is broken in the DHCP server for IPV4...

I wasted about a half hour chatting with Netgear support - the guy was clearly not understanding the problem - he kept asking if my computer could not access the internet.

Aargh - no edit button - I meant to finish with - is anyone else having either success or issues with this router with statically configured IPV4 devices on your network?
Message 39 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

Yep, same DNS and DHCP issues here.
Message 40 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

LeeH wrote:
Yep, same DNS and DHCP issues here.

Thanks Lee - do you know whether these same issues existed in prior firmware versions? I just purchased the router two days ago - so have never tried older firmware.

I need to either backlevel my firmware, shift over to dd-wrt, or return the device as the router is not usable on my network as is. Any advice?
Message 41 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

All Netgear firmware had this problem. I read about someone else fixing the can not communicate between the devices by "Turning off Access Control allowed communication to cross over. " Try turning off Access Control before going through other efforts.

My devices can communicate through IP addresses, I just have the DHCP and DNS issues.
Message 42 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

Oh one more thing. Beware the ASUS (RT-AC68), there is rumor that it has a hardware flaw with cooling that will make wireless devices drop connections. It appears that there are some people cutting holes in the case and mounting external fans to overcome this.
Message 43 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just switched over to dd-wrt - the latest kong build - and my network is working perfectly again on the r7000.

So yes it appears there are some serious bugs related to static IPV4 addresses on the LAN related to the DHCP server / DNS parts of the current r7000 firmware.

Netgear support (at least the person that I spoke with) really struggled to understand what I was talking about. I hope the devs or product managers look at this forum...
Message 44 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ever since I upgraded to this version there have been severe connectivity issues. Primarily when Netflix is running. If any other 2.4 client uses the network all the clients drop and buffer and have connectivity issues. I've disabled Downstream QOS and have tried it with and without WMM...seems to run worse with WMM disabled. This is rather ridiculous for a $200 router. I upgraded from a WNR3500 and I like the speed of the R7000 internally but at this point its not an upgrade.

I've also turned off the Access Control which needs some major fine tuning.

Would it be beneficial to scrap the Netgear firmware? Anyone have suggestions or experience this issue? As of right now I am rolling back to

R7000-V1.0.2.164_1.0.15

Thanks.
Message 45 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My 2 cents

Factory reset. use defaults except for SSID and security. mine is working fine on .194
Message 46 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Rolled back..issue solved. I'll stay at V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 for now.
Message 47 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What settings if any did you change when rolling back?
Message 48 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have rolled back to 1.0.22_1.0.15 version because I had really strange problems, my Netflics trough my TV still worked but no internet access from all of our PC's. But now when I do ABOUT, the version displayed is 1.0.2_194_1.0.15. So now I am not sure what is running. Also net router tells me that there is an update.
Message 49 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The update notice is a known problem, I see it too, using .194
Message 50 of 152
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements