Highlighted
Novice

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15

jyen59 wrote:
Yeah, you'd think so, but it just doesn't work on this model. It's worked on my other Linksys and dlink routers. Maybe its just router.

I think maybe the thing is that when it reboots on it's own when you release the reset button after the power led starts flashing, it will clear the data but when you do the 30/30/30 since you never released the button, it won't clear the data because the router didn't restart on it's own.
Message 101 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

@theoak:

I'll try that out later when I have some extra time. In any case, it seems like for me, there are no channels that are used by 0 others but 1 is the lowest for channels 2,7, and 8. I wonder if there are speed differences in those 3 channels since the only thing I can think of is there can be interference from routers that are invisible (not broadcasting SSID) as well as other 2.4Ghz devices like wireless mouse, bluetooth, microwave and cordless phones.
Message 102 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Almighty1 wrote:
inSSIDer was the first thing I used but didn't use WiFi Analyzer as it didn't do the table format but just a graph since I basically checked to see what channels were taken in both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz in in basically 9 positions at the house. Front Left, Front Center, Front Right, Middle Left, Middle Right, Rear Left, Rear Center and Rear Right and this is what I found:

So basically I went with 8 as 2, 7, 8 all have only 1 and the cleanest channels. I used 161 for the 5GHz since no one is using that one.

One thing to consider here is that the only non-overlapping channels are 1,6, and 11. So if you're not using 1,6, or 11, you're overlapping one of those *smile*. Given what your channel usage above is at your place, I might be inclined to switch to 5GHz. for whatever I could. Of course, what's misssing above is the strength and busy-ness of each neighboring wireless network. Anyways, 2.4GHz. looks pretty busy in your neck of the woods.
Message 103 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

I tried to look up overlapping and got confused, which channels actually overlap each other. As you mentioned and from what I read, 1, 6, 11 are the only channels that don't overlap so am I correct that one should really pick one of those 3 channels for 2.4Ghz? I am using 5Ghz but not all my devices support 5Ghz so I'll have to use 2.4Ghz for other things. This is San Francisco which is a large city on a small piece of land so ofcourse it's pretty busy here. The strength varies but are all pretty low signals since I only did a total count as some networks are only visible from certain locations. How does one figure out how busy a neighboring wireless network is as I usually only can see the strength and the channel used by a SSID and I basically used inSSIDer on my Motorola XOOM Tablet as it was easier.
Message 104 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

Message 105 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Forgot to ask but when selecting the channel to use, should only the measurement at the router be considered or should basically everywhere in the house be considered?
Message 106 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

LeeH wrote:
Wi-Fi / WLAN Channels, Frequencies, Bands & Bandwidths

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

Actually, the chart wasn't needed... After some more reading, basically its like this:

As 1, 6, 11 are non-overlapping channels, basically it's the next 4 channels after each one that overlaps with each other so 2-5 is one set, 7-10 is another set.
Message 107 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Good day all,

My 1st post here.

Any insight as to what is going on would be most appreciated.

I just received my R7000 and have had issues that seem most unsettling and cannot believe that I am the only one having such BASIC issues with the setup of this router. Can it be blamed on faulty firmware or do I return the one I received for another.

I run a small IT shop and bought this router to replace our D-LINK DI-655 which will become our backup\spare. We are behind a Verizon FIOS Static pubic IP with a 50/50mb pipe.

When I received the r7000 I started to configure the router before putting into production: I first updated the firmware from .164 to .194 and then proceeded to set her up using advanced mode using a laptop. The default LAN was 192.168.1.1. I configured the WAN static IP, saved and then went on to try and change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1. I got the error " Your IP conflicts with WAN IP subnet..." and could not make the change. After several hard rests to no avail, I contacted support for help. The 1st tech was terrible, absolutely did not help or understand what the heck she was doing. The second person I called was much better. In the end I downgraded back to .164 firmware and was able to set my LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 and proceeded to finish configurations: Port forwards, QOS (I went full boar and updated the Upstream DB to 1.7 and enabled All QOS services on the 3 tabs), etc.

I then wanted to turn off DHCP services in the router as we have an internal Windows Small Business Server 2008 DC providing DNS and DHCP services, amongst other services. When I tried to turn off DHCP I again got the same exact error message.

After about a day of usage I noticed that my Vonage, Skype and Video on demand was absolutely awful, with stutter in voice calls, video pixilation\freezing, etc. I Disabled SIP ALG under Advanced Setup>Setup>WAN Setup which may have fixed the Vonage voice drop outs.

I decided, as I had both .164 and .194 firmware downloaded as well as router config backups, to do a firmware update via the router GUI back to .194. The configurations held (My LAN IP 192.168.0.1 still worked) yet I could still not disable DHCP, nor did my issues with Video.

I then turned off ALL QOS services and thus far video (Specifically VOD) is working properly again, my phones as well.

1) Is it truly possible that that my performance issues would be better off by disabling QOS with the bandwidth I have with FIOS?
2) Am I the only one who does not want DHCP from the router, therefore no one lese is complained about this?
3) Could this be a hardware issue that calls for a replacement router vs. a Netgear firmware issue?

I hesitate to call support back for fear of spending more time dealing with a person of limited knowledge of this router and it's apparent issues and hope to get better feedback with the rank and file users.

Your insights and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

VTY,
Message 108 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Claudeh:

On the QOS issues, yes, there are problems with QOS in the current firmware, and if you can not use QOS until those problems are fixed (I hear that the next firmware release will fix at least some QOS issues), that would be good. You may find that everything works fine without using QOS.

As to the issue with not using your router for DNS and DHCP, I think that most people who have this router are using it as a home router and do use the DNS and DHCP on the router, including me. So I'm hoping that someone else can advise you on that one.
Message 109 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

RogerSC,

Thank you for confirming my hopes that QoS is a known issue that Neatgear will address.

I would still care to know if anyone else has tried to set their router's LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 using either FW .164 or.194?

I understand that a majority use the router for DHCP, however the option is there and it is intended to allow disabling it. Someone else using .164 or .194 must have tried to disable and save the setting.

Thanks,
Message 110 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hey ClaudeH,

Yes, was using 192.168.0.1 on Firmware 194. I needed the DHCP server so never tried to turn it off.

I have since started playing around with DD-WRT, Kong's latest version to see if it prevents wireless degradation, so I can't turn off DHCP in the Netgear version to test for you Smiley Sad

Note: I was having to reboot my R7000 at least once a day; My wireless connections on various computers would start off at 450Mbps strong/consistent, then after a while browsing became almost unusable. Checked the connections and they were down to 1-2Mbps. I won't know for a day/two if this other firmware has helped.
Message 111 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you JohnNadeau,

I will see what others say on this matter and DHCP.

I saw the other thread about DD-WRT, perhaps you will post your findings on how it works out for you, here or there?
Message 112 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 Limited connection

Gurus,
I am having hard time with R7000 with the latest firmware. 2.4 connections drop all the time from all 5 laptops. Tried downgrading, and back to V1.02.194. No luck, tried all combinations of channels, had tier 3 support look at settings etc. Either I get limited internet access/Yellow triangle or just disconnects and comes back in a few minutes.
I have updated, downgraded all Intel wifi adapter drivers for 1030 and 2230 wifi cards. I have tried all the settings suggested by tech support on wifi adapters. Not a single laptop (win 7 pro, win 8.1 all 64bit) holds connection for more than 5-10 min before disconnect. Desperate for help. Also playing youtube videp drops within 2 minutes...

on 5ghz band no issues, smartphones, tablets hold fine. It can't be laptops (5 of them can't be bad...they were working with Trendnet router fine until I decided to buy R7000. Folks at home are mad like hell at me!
What can I do??? Ready to buy many beers for the successful tip...lol
Thanks
Regards
Message 113 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

I am having 2.4 ghz problems too

My transfer speeds vary between 20mbps-50mpbs. Thats when there isnt a total lag and I cant connect

I tried channel changes, turning off all interference possible machines, rebooting everything multiple times

Another problem with the router is that with my mac book pro with mavericks I need to turn wifi completely off and then back on when I enable downstream QoS. If I dont turn the wifi off then I get a connection of 1-5 mbps.

outside of the problem with downstream QoS, 5 ghz seems to be okay. However, when I was having consistent 100mbps plus on comcast, tonight for some reason I am having in the mid 50's. Tried a modem reboot etc.

Any help, save for a new firmware (although, I really hope there is a good one soon) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 114 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

Netgear, when will we see a new firmware revision? I has been over a month now since the last firmware release and there are still serious problems with these routers.

Airplay/Bonjour/iTunes-sharing is still broken from behind an R7000 bridge. Indications from forum posts are that it's not working from non-bridged units either.
This is basic functionality which should have been picked up on BEFORE release of the product.

It really does feel like all current R7000 owners are your beta testers. Pathetic.
Message 115 of 152
Highlighted
Follower

Anyone having issue with DHCP on this version? I have about 8 devices attached wirelessly and new devices seem to not get an IP address occasionally (goes to 192.168.1.x), have to reboot the device to get it. Access Control IS turned ON. Smiley Sad
I did change the DHCP addresses to something other than default.....
Message 116 of 152
Highlighted
Prodigy

dwoo wrote:
Anyone having issue with DHCP on this version? I have about 8 devices attached wirelessly and new devices seem to not get an IP address occasionally (goes to 192.168.1.x), have to reboot the device to get it. Access Control IS turned ON. Smiley Sad
I did change the DHCP addresses to something other than default.....

Try reserving IP address in the router for your devices.
Message 117 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

@Squuiid: I had problems with my iDevices not being able to wirelessly sync using iTunes on my laptop. Searching around it appears that Apple drivers (at least on Windows) can have issues with IPv6. I turned that off via the Wirles Network Connection Properties, Networking tab. I can sync fine now. If Access Control is turned ON and you "Block all new devices from connection" ... this will obviously prevent your devices from connecting. You will need to make sure that in the MAC address of your devices are "Allowed".
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 118 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Squuiid wrote:
Netgear, when will we see a new firmware revision? I has been over a month now since the last firmware release and there are still serious problems with these routers.

It really does feel like all current R7000 owners are your beta testers. Pathetic.

I contacted Netgear after returning my r7000Smiley Very Happy I suggested they send:eek: me one, If they wanted me to continue testing, no word yet! LOL
Message 119 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

Squuiid wrote:

Airplay/Bonjour/iTunes-sharing is still broken from behind an R7000 bridge. Indications from forum posts are that it's not working from non-bridged units either.
This is basic functionality which should have been picked up on BEFORE release of the product.

Yep we are free beta testers !!! After shelling out $199.99! Thanks NetGear your my hero! :rolleyes:
Message 120 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

dave1977nj wrote:
Yep we are free beta testers !!! After shelling out $199.99! Thanks NetGear your my hero! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, not uncommon in the bleeding edge router game, from personal experience.
Message 121 of 152
Highlighted
Follower

theoak wrote:
@Squuiid:

I had problems with my iDevices not being able to wirelessly sync using iTunes on my laptop. Searching around it appears that Apple drivers (at least on Windows) can have issues with IPv6. I turned that off via the Wirles Network Connection Properties, Networking tab. I can sync fine now.

If Access Control is turned ON and you "Block all new devices from connection" ... this will obviously prevent your devices from connecting. You will need to make sure that in the MAC address of your devices are "Allowed".

All my devices are on the ALLOWED list. Plus I've noticed that devices are not using the device names I gave them when it returns to the "not used but allowed" list....
Would hate to reserve or goto static IPs when there's a DHCP server available....:confused:
Even with reserved IP address it would not assign the IP until a reboot....especially when coming out of SLEEP mode.:eek:
Message 122 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows 8.1 and since the last firmware update it also shows that an update is available but after I run it, it says it's already up to date. Also it loses connection to the router on Wifi about 4 times an hour. It's really annoying I have to turn the WiFi off and on again to get it back.
Message 123 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

ctown wrote:
I have a Sony Vaio running Windows 8.1 and since the last firmware update it also shows that an update is available but after I run it, it says it's already up to date. Also it loses connection to the router on Wifi about 4 times an hour. It's really annoying I have to turn the WiFi off and on again to get it back.

Ditto. Waiting for a firmware update to fix this drop-off. Its been long since a firmware has been released and its annoying.
Message 124 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

sdrm wrote:
Ditto. Waiting for a firmware update to fix this drop-off. Its been long since a firmware has been released and its annoying.

It is time.
Message 125 of 152
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements