Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15

Just joined this forum after purchasing the R7000 a week ago. I wish I had found this forum thread first. Smiley Happy

I'm having basically the same issues with the 194 FW as many other have posted - nothing new to report. Six hours of troubleshooting and configuration work today to try to improve things (used GRC's DNS Benchmark to find a better DNS config, multiple router resets, reconfigured my wifi, turned off QOS).

I still have 37 days to return the product if better FW hasn't been released.

Not sure why I always do this to myself - early adopter of 802.11G, then N, now AC and I always *ALWAYS* regret being a "beta tester."

Hopeful that NetGear is working on the issues.

Steve
Message 126 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

NightRider wrote:

I still have 37 days to return the product if better FW hasn't been released.

Not sure why I always do this to myself - early adopter of 802.11G, then N, now AC and I always *ALWAYS* regret being a "beta tester."

Hopeful that NetGear is working on the issues.

Steve

Yes, from what I get from Netgear for the issues that I've submitted, they are definitely working on the issues that have been reported.

Don't know if you've considered it, but there's also dd-wrt firmware for this router. Here's the forum for that:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443
Message 127 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

I noticed that if you reserve the i.p address for the devices the drop-outs decrease. I hope this helps someone and netgear will fix it in a future firmware.
Message 128 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Purchased two r7000's from Bestbuy yesterday. I set them up in an dhcp-->ap configuration. I have solid 800mps + on my intel 7260 ac nic, but had a lot of choppiness when streaming from my whs. I never thought to try the routers before I upgraded the firmware, kinda wish I did now.

I've spent most of the day reading these forums and the web. I see all the recommended tweaks, guess I have a bunch of testing to do.
Message 129 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well after a month of trying, I give up - returned to Amazon today.

Bought this to stream HD movies from USB storage (3TB WD Red in enclosure). NEVER was able to get through a complete movie without having to reboot.

Additionally, wanted to retire my Wifi repeater, could not get a consistent (lasts longer than a few days) wifi connection on 2.4 or 5 Ghz.

I'm disappointed, really liked the speed when it worked.

Last straw was when cell phone bill came in with LOTS of $$ over data limit charges for my daughters phone. She Facetimes ALL THE TIME and her room is on the edge of wifi range...NEVER had a problem with the old Linksys E3000.

Bought a Linksys E6400, $75 cheaper, been ROCK solid for a week (watched movies from USB 3 every night without a hitch)... Did keep my repeater as the 5g range isn't the greatest!

Good Luck to all remaining Beta Testers!!
- John
Message 130 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was actually coming here to say so far so good with the PRIOR firmware version(V1.0.2.164_1.0.15). I am not going to try the current version due to all the complaints about the wireless.

I had an ASUS AC66U that always seemed to just not quite be right. When streaming, with some apps/games, I'd see lag that seemed to be at set intervals that I never saw before the Asus router. It wasn't so evident with things like Netflix, but it was when streaming live events like NHL hockey and some of my online games. Plus it always gave me FITS whenever my IP would change. It would drop connection and not do a proper IP release/renew to receive the new one, leaving me offline till I could take the time to circumvent the router and do a manual ip release/renew. No firmware would fix it(stock, Merlin or DD-WRT). This never happened with my prior WNDR3700.

So I picked the Nighthawk up and my streaming has been rock solid so far. No issues streaming video, particularly hockey and my online games don't see the lag intervals that I was seeing prior. My daughter, who streams Netflix and Amazon on her iPad has ha no complaints with the wireless either.

I do agree tho with others tho. For a router that has been out since October, there are way too many bugs left and they should be MUCH further along with their feature set/bug squashing by now. I'm NOT impressed at all in that regard.
Message 131 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

Word is Netgear team will release a FW late Feb. The time it took them to release the Feb FW should be a strong indication that they are working out the bugs and they would have a more stable FW.

There are a few of us on here..including myself who have been working closely with them. Giving them alot of info. in regards to wireless clients and uploading logs to them.

As far as I am concern the Netgear team has take great interest and they want to do right.Smiley Very Happy
Message 132 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Lexist2112 wrote:
Word is Netgear team will release a FW late Feb. The time it took them to release the Feb FW should be a strong indication that they are working out the bugs and they would have a more stable FW.

There are a few of us on here..including myself who have been working closely with them. Giving them alot of info. in regards to wireless clients and uploading logs to them.

As far as I am concern the Netgear team has take great interest and they want to do right.Smiley Very Happy

The time that they are taking to work on the bugs has turned off a lot of customers and those that did buy the router returned it because of lack of support. It is about time netgear should have released some kind of an update to fix at least the minor things. In the meantime they could have continued to work out the rest of the stuff on a major firmware release. Thats how most professional companies deal with their business.
Message 133 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This delay or ploy locks more people in to keeping it as their grace periods to return it run out.
Message 134 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello,
there is an automatic restart function is always recurring for this router? I can find nowhere. I've configured it as accespoint, not as a router.

My Firmware is: V1.0.2.194_1.0.15
Message 135 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

It is a bit disappointing that Netgear is not incrementally fixing sets of problems and releasing firmware that, while it may not fix all the bugs, does address at least some bugs, and maybe provides some of the promised features as they go along.

I hear that there's new firmware coming out at the end of February (rumor). Given the wait, since mid-December, user expectations will be very high. That's another reason to do incremental firmware releases, so that users expect that new problems introduced in fixes won't take another 2.5 months to get fixed.

But Netgear clearly has their own strategy. Even if I don't agree with it, Netgear has to live with the results of how they do things *smile*. I don't know if I have the patience to wait for another 2.5 months for more bug fixes, myself. Depends on how much they fix this next time around and how many new bugs appear as a result of fixes, I guess.
Message 136 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
It is a bit disappointing that Netgear is not incrementally fixing sets of problems and releasing firmware that, while it may not fix all the bugs, does address at least some bugs, and maybe provides some of the promised features as they go along.

I hear that there's new firmware coming out at the end of February (rumor). Given the wait, since mid-December, user expectations will be very high. That's another reason to do incremental firmware releases, so that users expect that new problems introduced in fixes won't take another 2.5 months to get fixed.
RogerSC, I think you've hit the nail on the head, so to speak! Even with the problems stated in this community regarding the R7000, I liked what the Router seemed to offer and when the price dropped to $169 on Amazon (for a few hours), I jumped. However, with the quirks I've experienced and reading the speculation that a firmware update won't be available until late February, I've decided to return mine next week, just before the 30 day return deadline. If I was sure firmware changes would fix all of the problems, I'd probably hang on to it figuring it would eventually work fine. However, at this point I don't think I want to roll the dice and the next thing I know there's an R7000v2 being produced because some hardware needed to be updated as well as firmware.

I'll go back to using my old WNDR4500 and see if Netgear corrects all of the issues with the R7000.
Message 137 of 152
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Linksys appears to have the version 2, look for it in the 2nd Quarter.
Message 138 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

i would like to make request for the new firmware.

my usb storage is working fine.

But i want to assign different user than "admin"(or whatever is the router's admin user is) to the storage https(internet) access. Some credential specifically for the usb storage.

Thank you guys. Keep up the good work.
Message 139 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

The utmost importance of any router is stability/connectivity. This should be #1 on the list to fix.
Message 140 of 152
Highlighted

Any word on when the "Fix" release of firmware will be released to us.... tired of my 2.4G SSIDs dropping every 7-8 seconds.... and then reconnecting... drives any wifi device I have connected to the 2.4G SSIDs.... HELP... what date can we expect a fix?
Message 141 of 152
Highlighted

Hey folks.... another member posted the info below on another related thread... I installed it and it seems to be working for me... I have NOT been having my 2.4g drop connections anymore.... seems to be stable, right along side the 5g signals... hopefully this Beta release is the fix we have been waiting for....

"Try updating to the latest Beta Firmware ? V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 has been working really well for me !

Here's a link to a post in this forum, which has a direct download link from Netgear:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.p...&postcount=103
Message 142 of 152
Highlighted
Guide

cowboychincs,

I was having frequent drops on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands at 30+ feet away from the router with moderate interference, I reset my router after I installed this one, but still drops, which I never experienced earlier, so I got rid of it and back to V1.0.3.12_1.1.18 beta.
Message 143 of 152
Highlighted
Novice

Link doesn't work anymore is there another place we can find the most recent beta firmware?
Message 144 of 152
Highlighted
Luminary

rather than "hunt" for a beta PLEASE open a support ticket on netgear's support site and request for a new stable FW. The more people complaining the higher the probability they will actually release a FW.
Message 145 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

drivel2787 wrote:
Link doesn't work anymore is there another place we can find the most recent beta firmware?

JMU1998 wrote:
rather than "hunt" for a beta PLEASE open a support ticket on netgear's support site and request for a new stable FW. The more people complaining the higher the probability they will actually release a FW.

Oh... Netgear is soooo aware. Their online support is lacking at best. But word-on-the-street is that they will be releasing a new Public Firmware soon.

In the meantime... no need to hunt or wait Smiley Wink Here's the link that cowboy was referring to:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=465940&postcount=103
Message 146 of 152
Highlighted
Virtuoso

As I have pointed out several times now, including within the thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=89612 which contained the link posted in post #146 above (now removed), links which lead to third party downloads will not be allowed e.g. Dropbox. Please do not attempt to abuse this (e.g. by posting a link to another site that contains a link to a third party firmware download).

If you think this is a little heavy handed or unfair / unhelpful, then I will remind you that I have over the years of being a moderator on these forums seen a number of cases where firmware of a dubious origin (masquerading as Netgear firmware) that contained malware has been posted on these forums or other linked-to sites. There are people/groups who are very ready to abuse the frustration of members who are keen to obtain a version of firmware that might resolve issues with their Netgear routers.
Message 147 of 152
Highlighted
Apprentice

@MarsMug (aka Andy),,,

Not heavy-handed at all... your reasoning makes complete sense. My sincere apologies!!!! I thought that link "was" the direct link to Netgear's website download Smiley Surprised

I was trying to be helpful and point other users to the latest Beta, which has been very stable, so that they might hang on to their R7000 Smiley Happy You can create a support ticket but good luck in getting a meaningful response from Netgear.

This forum has been very helpful, but I would recommend that users also head over to the AVS Forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493322/netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-router-review-and-comments-thread

There is a lot of good info there too. When you read the postings by the original author, Bob Silver, you'll likely have a higher degree of confidence when downloading the Beta that "he" posted on dropbox !

Thanks for bringing that to my attention !
Message 148 of 152
Highlighted
Aspirant

The new firmware was posted today. Seems to be working well. It even has an option to turn off the LED's!
Message 149 of 152
Highlighted

OK Folks... (and a special thanks to JohnNadeau).... I filed a trouble report (case) on the R7000... after several lame responses from Netgear Techs, I finally got a REALLY GREAT reply... If they had ONLY posted this a long time ago, there would not have been well over 100 entries in this thread alone.... here is the important parts of the email to me...

"After reviewing the information that you provided, I think I have a better understanding of your case.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We may need to further isolate the concern on your Setup.

Here are additional troubleshooting steps that I would suggest you try:
Back-up the settings:
1.Open a browser and type in the following URL: http://www.routerlogin.com or http://192.168.1.1
2.Type the User Name as “admin” and the Password as “password” and click OK.
3.Go to the Advanced Tab
4.Click on Administration on the left side.
5.Click on Backup Setting, the browser will extract the configuration file from the router.
6.Then select a location on your PC to save the file.

Install new firmware
1. Click on the link below and download the r7000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.24 (All Regions except China):
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_V1.0.3.24_1.1.20.zip
If the firmware that you've downloaded is a zipped file, please extract it first before updating the router's firmware.
2. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://routerlogin.net. (please connect one computer to the router using an Ethernet cable)
3.Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
4.Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
5.Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Hard Reset the Router:
a. Using a paper clip, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
b. Without releasing the reset button unplug the power cord and replug after 30 seconds.
c. Continue to press and hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
d. Release the reset button and wait for the router to properly reboot.

Note: This will delete all settings in the device and will terminate connections. Reconfiguration is needed to restore Internet connection.

Restore the settings:
1. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
2.Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Backup Settings.
3. Click Browse and find the file you backed-up earlier.
4. Click Restore

Perform sequential powercycle:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19755

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR. "

This was a well written reply to my case that I had entered... and I really believe that this will solve the majority of the issues for those that are impacted by the 2.4g degradation...

Someone mentioned that a new firmware release was announced yesterday or today??? Guess I missed it... is it the release in the email note above that I received??:confused:
Message 150 of 152
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements