Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25

garyrh wrote:
That is a strange problem. I have IPv6 enabled and have rebooted and powered cycled my R7000 on many different firmware and never had that problem.

Yes, it is related to ISP and the R7000. And I don't even think that all Comcast customers with R7000's experience this. I guess I'm one of the lucky few. Right now I'm using a WRT1900AC, basking in the lovely, trouble-free IPv6 *smile*.
Message 26 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

androme wrote:
Yes "Europa" selected in the Wireless Setting.

Original firmware or dd-wrt?
Message 27 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am hesitent to do this update since my router now works (WiFi <-> LAN traffic included). Is there really a speed increase for the GUI and Web sites, or is this simply an effect of rebooting your routers?
Message 28 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've updated to the new firmware, so far so good. Tho it could be just from a fresh reboot. But recently(the past 2 weeks) 50% of the time, whenever i started to download anything from the net, the router would reboot. Casual browsing, that wasn't video/picture intense, it wouldn't seem to reboot, only on heavy load.

So far its been about 36hrs, and no reboots compared to when i would see it at least 4-5 times a day.
Message 29 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

doc_octopus wrote:
Original firmware or dd-wrt?

Original firmware like the title of this thread. Smiley Tongue
Message 30 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

as never before in my router is not there? I have to do a hard reset? I only channels 36-48
Message 31 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

My version 49 has screwed up a few times, but it pretty consistently goes for a few weeks.
Have been in contact with the Product Manager and he told me
"My apologies for the delayed responses. We will have a new release candidate soon which improves the WiFi stability. I will send it to you once it is ready. Thank you for your patience."

So since he sent that on May 7th, I am assuming he does not mean version 56 that was released on the 6th. Well here's to waiting...

If I had more time I would flash DD-WRT, or just buy another router....
Message 32 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I hate to be Debbie Downer but I'd almost guarantee that he WAS talking about 3.56.

Over the past 4 weeks, I've discovered that Netgear support has significant internal communication issues.
Message 33 of 98
Highlighted

htismaqe wrote:
Over the past 4 weeks, I've discovered that Netgear support has significant internal communication issues.

I am still waiting for proof of any communication! I have asked the 2nd level support 'expert' repeatedly, if my problem was communicated with their engineering team, just to get responses that ignore the question.
Message 34 of 98
Highlighted

I installed the V1.0.3.56_1.1.25 firmware on my R7000 Router & Bridge on Tuesday morning and it just took three days for my wired/wireless connection problem to happen again. The sad part, I am absolutely not surprised.

2nd level support seems to not communicate at all with their engineering team. They just seem to be given beta firmware releases and hope that unrelated corrections fix other problems. They managed to fix the Bridge/5GHz problem that they introduced in the previous release, but otherwise, this latest version is as disappointing as every one before.
Message 35 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm not surprised.

I'll be closing my support cases with Netgear. I have my shipping labels from Amazon.
Message 36 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25 Only me?

I guess I'm the only one (so far).

As an experiment one of the first things I did after the upgrade was toy with wifi transmitters. You're supposed to be able to turn them on and off at will. My experience has been a nightmare!! Turned off the 5G radio, applied and it went fine. I was hoping for a power increase in the 2.4 range, didn't happen. So, after a few minutes, I went in to turn the 5G radio back on. After applying the whole thing blew up!!!!!! No router! No internet, no nothing. Everything was laid waste!! Somehow, even the COMCAST signal was lost at the same time! Coincidence? Took almost two days to get it all back. Reset router, reapplied passwords, etc and now I'm left with . . .

R7000 can't, won't recognize external drive. Checked myself with user manual, it says plug into USB 3 port. Before upgrade had plugged into USB 2 and it worked great (even had printer and 2 ext drives going thru a USB hub to USB 2 connecter), now locks up the router with just one HD plugged into USB 2 thru the same hub. NETGEAR rocket scientists did a good job with this one. Printer works fine. Haven't tried another hub thru USB 3. Should I? Kinda shell shocked right now. :eek:

Oh yes, to unlock the router all I have to do is unplug the external drive (from the hub).
Message 37 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Wasn't aware that USB Hubs were supported. Plugging non supported devices into the USB port(s) is not recommended. Turning off 2.4 and expecting or hoping 5g would be stronger is just ridiculous. I've had few beers tonight and normally would not even respond to a post like this. But seriously what are trying to say, other than you plugged non supported devices into Usb and now have problems.

Unlock the router? again what are you trying to say.
Message 38 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

searay wrote:
Wasn't aware that USB Hubs were supported.

Pretty sure Netgear explicitly states that they aren't.
Message 39 of 98
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Here's a quote from the Netgear FAQ for the R7000:

Does the R7000 USB 3.0 ports support multiple drives in 2-4 bay enclosure?
It should be able to support the hub if the drive has an external power supply as if it has multiple drives, the Nighthawk might not be able to supply the power to those drives. That means the R7000 support multiple drives only if the drive has its own external power supply.
Message 40 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

searay wrote:
Wasn't aware that USB Hubs were supported. Plugging non supported devices into the USB port(s) is not recommended. Turning off 2.4 and expecting or hoping 5g would be stronger is just ridiculous. I've had few beers tonight and normally would not even respond to a post like this. But seriously what are trying to say, other than you plugged non supported devices into Usb and now have problems.

Unlock the router? again what are you trying to say.

searay wrote:
Wasn't aware that USB Hubs were supported. Plugging non supported devices into the USB port(s) is not recommended.

Perhaps not but it worked quite well 'til the upgrade! What page of the user manual does it say hubs are not supported? Maybe I missed it.

searay wrote:
Turning off 2.4 and expecting or hoping 5g would be stronger is just ridiculous.

I did the opposite and why would it be ridiculous?

Who said anything about unlocking the router? I said the router became unlocked when I disconnected the external drive.
Message 41 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
Here's a quote from the Netgear FAQ for the R7000:

Does the R7000 USB 3.0 ports support multiple drives in 2-4 bay enclosure?
It should be able to support the hub if the drive has an external power supply as if it has multiple drives, the Nighthawk might not be able to supply the power to those drives. That means the R7000 support multiple drives only if the drive has its own external power supply.

I read that as "should" support a hub. Can't have "multiple drives" without one and most external drives have a separate power supply.
Message 42 of 98
Highlighted
Virtuoso

theolsarge wrote:
I read that as "should" support a hub. Can't have "multiple drives" without one and most external drives have a separate power supply.

Yes, I think that the critical thing here is that you should use a "powered" hub if you used a hub. Also, if you have multiple drives, they should have their own power supplies. In other words, don't try to pull more power out of the router than it is capable of supplying...so to be sure of that use self-powered drives and hubs.
Message 43 of 98
Highlighted
Tutor

I use a 2.5" external drive being powered over the usb 3.0 port, along with charging various phones/tablets off the other port. Never had a problem. The stock 3.5A/12V psu can easily handle it. If I use a 1.5A supply then it will reboot and the hard disk will struggle.

As long as you use the stock psu, you will be fine using USB to power an external disk. I did this for more than a year with my Netgear DGND3700 without a problem.
Message 44 of 98
Highlighted
Master

Well, I've lost the USB drives. Well drive. It is a USB 2.0. Before upgrading I removed it. Took it to my PC, delete the Media server catalog, and ran CHKDSK on it. Drive was/is fine.

Installed the update flash, checked ALL settings and they 'held'. Works fine for Inet access. Then I plugged in the USB drive into the 2.0 connector.

Went to the PC and brought up Explorer and opened NETWORK. NO R7000 at all????

Looked at the lights, no USB was lit? Tried the 3.0 socket. Nada? Drive shows it is powered?

Opened the router in a browser and under both BASIC READYSHARE and ADVANCED USB STORAGE are set to BASIC, but no drive appears in either?

I tried to get the .24 flash, link on support page gives a 404.. sigh...

Going to do a chat, but don't expect much. I did see an FTP site is a post somewhere, I hope I can find the last flash there.

Does ANYONE thoroughly test this stuff? If the list had only 3 items and NONE had to with Media Server or USB WHY did this break? Can't be because I took the drive to the PC, I've done this MANY times.

Anyone else have a USB connected and working with this Flash?
Message 45 of 98
Highlighted
Master

IrvSp wrote:
I did see an FTP site is a post somewhere, I hope I can find the last flash there.

Found it, ftp://downloads.netgear.com/r7000/archive/V1.0.3.24/us/
Message 46 of 98
Highlighted
Master

IrvSp wrote:
Well, I've lost the USB drives. Well drive. It is a USB 2.0. Before upgrading I removed it. Took it to my PC, delete the Media server catalog, and ran CHKDSK on it. Drive was/is fine.

Installed the update flash, checked ALL settings and they 'held'. Works fine for Inet access. Then I plugged in the USB drive into the 2.0 connector.

Went to the PC and brought up Explorer and opened NETWORK. NO R7000 at all????

Looked at the lights, no USB was lit? Tried the 3.0 socket. Nada? Drive shows it is powered?

OK, 'fixed'.... still on the NEW flash as well!

What I 'think' happened but NOT sure...

I'm on a new computer and it has USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Up front, 2 of each. One 2.0 port I keep a cable for my iPad plugged in. The other 2.0 will 'charge' a device and it doesn't play well with iTunes and the iPad, keeps disconnecting it so I have to use the other port.

Thinking I could have a problem with that port I plugged the USB 2.0 drive into a 3.0 port which should be compatible. What was strange it didn't appear in the Safely Remove Device? So I just disconnected it and put it in the R7000. Didn't seem to show on the R7000 and I wrote the message here.

So I took it back to the PC but put it into a 2.0 port. Disk was fine as were the contents? This time it showed in Safely Remove Device and used that. Plugged it back into the R7000 and it worked? Seems OK too? Maybe there was a 'dirty' bit on the drive and the R7000 wouldn't read it? Odd... but now OK.
Message 47 of 98
Highlighted
Virtuoso

haggismn wrote:
I use a 2.5" external drive being powered over the usb 3.0 port, along with charging various phones/tablets off the other port. Never had a problem. The stock 3.5A/12V psu can easily handle it. If I use a 1.5A supply then it will reboot and the hard disk will struggle.

As long as you use the stock psu, you will be fine using USB to power an external disk. I did this for more than a year with my Netgear DGND3700 without a problem.

Well, that's not really what I said, I was quoting the Netgear Support R7000 FAQ about using a hub with multiple drives attached to it, but if you want to power a USB drive and charge your mobile devices off your DGND3700 at the same time (not sure why), feel free *smile*. There's more involved than just the power supply, there's chips and other components that have to handle the power as well.

It may well work for you, but I'm not risking a $200 router as opposed to a $10 USB charger, or the difference in price between a powered USB drive and an unpowered one. But that's just me.
Message 48 of 98
Highlighted

I own this router since the day it was released and did the firmware upgrade to this one, after this all my wireless connected printers stopped working - Brother Laser Printer, Brother Label Printer and Epson Inkjet printer. Also, the USB 3.0 port in front of the router died, no connection to my NAT anymore. I tried a few thinks, hard reset, finally re-flashed to the previous V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 and everything is working like before.

What's wrong with V1.0.3.56_1.1.25?
Message 49 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've had wired printing issues with every firmware version from 1.0.2.164 to 1.0.3.56.

I've tried 6 different firmwares in total.
Message 50 of 98
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements