Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: NEW R 7000 Firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25

Yeah, don't enable downstream QoS. It doesn't work.
Message 76 of 98
Highlighted

htismaqe wrote:
Yeah, don't enable downstream QoS. It doesn't work.

Isn't this an highly advertised feature of this router?
Message 77 of 98
Highlighted
Luminary

Rheumatoid wrote:
yes 36,40,44,48 all I have

R.

Thank you.
Message 78 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

South_Park wrote:
Isn't this an highly advertised feature of this router?

Most of the manufacturers anymore advertise advanced QoS. Most of them don't do it well. For one reason, QoS isn't really plug and play.
Message 79 of 98
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

Have not seen any issues with random signal drops since Friday. I did have an instance of GUI hang that caused a temporary drop of signal (possible reboot). From now on I just wont mess with the thing during office hours.
Message 80 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey guys. First post here.
I did the latest update and now my internet speeds have tanked.

If I direct connect to my modem I'm seeing 31-35 mbps
Same speeds as I use to get.

Through the R7000 I'm now seeing 3.56-6.80 mbps.

Any idea why this update has killed my dl speeds?
Thanks!
Message 81 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

did you factory default settings before update?

did you power cycle router after update?
Message 82 of 98
Highlighted
Luminary

searay wrote:

Resetting to factory defaults is a MUST folks. I know it's a PITA but your router will likely have problems if you don't hard reset and restore factory defaults after a firmware update.
Message 83 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

searay wrote:

Squuiid wrote:
Resetting to factory defaults is a MUST folks. I know it's a PITA but your router will likely have problems if you don't hard reset and restore factory defaults after a firmware update.

I did power cycle the modem but not the router.

I will do a hard reset when I get home. Thanks guys.
Message 84 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm going to try this latest official firmware to see if it helps. I just installed it a couple days ago.

Even the DD-WRT and Shibby Tomato firmares are buggy and have the same problem, from my experience. Shibby is also doing way too many routers now, so I doubt he will fix any of the problems. It seems you can't win.
Message 85 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

You can ignore my previous post, the same night the router stopped it internet access as always with the latest official firmware. The wireless connects and it shows me having an IP address, just no web access, wired or wireless.

This router has been a total waste of money. Its like throwing $200 out a window.
Message 86 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

When a member contributes proper information in a thread, why does the moderator censor it? My last post never made it here, but had no external links, no foul language, no inappropriate comments, no bashing, yet it was not accepted!

When a product like this, which people and companies depend on, does not work and feedback is given (negative or positive) it should be made public when the post falls within guidelines of the forum.

I sincerely hope that this post makes it in...
Message 87 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey guys, it's my first post on the forums here. I happened to notice my internet speeds really slow down with online gaming last night, and I thought it had to do with the router at first. I'm playing Dark Souls 2 right now and everything seems to be back to normal, which almost makes me wonder if it had more to do with my IP. I will get back to this thread later on, but for right now everything seems to be back in working order.
Message 88 of 98
Highlighted

TC93 wrote:
You can ignore my previous post, the same night the router stopped it internet access as always with the latest official firmware. The wireless connects and it shows me having an IP address, just no web access, wired or wireless.

This router has been a total waste of money. Its like throwing $200 out a window.

Do you need help? Post says ignore my previous post. What does this mean exactly, " the same night the router stopped it internet access as always with the latest official firmware"

So your PC connects to the router and you are given an IP address.

What does ipconfig tell you?

Do you have gateway and DNS?
Can you ping the gateway?

No internet so you probably can't ping outside your LAN? Is the router connected to the internet. Does it have an IP, gateway and DNS?

No one can tell from your posts whether your router is working for you or not, yet you're posting here so internet is working now?

I do agree with you that the r7000 has some quirks. While not perfect, mine is working as expected for the most part. I upgraded to the latest official firmware because the previous was randomly rebooting. While its not quite as stable as my 4500's, it is blazing fast. I suggest you follow the advice of others and reset your device if you have upgraded your firmware and/or moved away from DD-WRT or Tomato. If you need assistance, please include the above information, your troubleshooting steps and any observations you feel are relevant.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 89 of 98
Highlighted
Luminary

Bridge mode is still not working properly. Despite upgrading both to 1.0.3.56_1.1.25 and hard resetting to factory defaults, the bridge stops routing traffic after a while and I have to power off the unit and power back on.

This is so frustrating, I cannot believe that there is still no good firmware for this device.
I'm really regretting my purchase now, having laid down $400 to replace my WNDR4500 units and the R7000s are just not fit for purpose.

Buyers beware. Bridge mode does not work on the R7000s and if you're buying for this 'feature' look elsewhere.
Message 90 of 98
Highlighted

Squuiid wrote:
Bridge mode is still not working properly. Despite upgrading both to 1.0.3.56_1.1.25 and hard resetting to factory defaults, the bridge stops routing traffic after a while and I have to power off the unit and power back on.

Squuiid,

I reported this problem to Netgear in March and have been going through the painful process of dealing with 1st and 2nd level support 'experts', which try everything to avoid passing this issue on to their engineering team. I have gone through several beta firmware version, which none of them addressed this issue, but they were given to me anyway.

If you have not done it yet, please create a support case and report your version of the problem. Hopefully, you get an 'expert' that has an understanding of technology and can do more than just look up KB articles.

I am going to stay persistent with my support case and will provider updates here.

Yours,
Stephan
Message 91 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

I use a Netgear R6300 as my bridge and the R7000 as my main router and it works perfectly.. I get "AC" speeds between the two pretty consistently.. Seriously before you junk your R7000 go get a 6300 off eBay to use as your bridge and you'll be a happy camper!

I also just got two refurb'd Cisco WUMC710 AC bridges for only like $19 a piece (they were originally $169) and they too work perfectly with the R7000 (and fast too!). I also have some cheap Buffalo routers I got for like $20 and I put DD-WRT on them and they are acting as bridges in my kids room. My 7000 is purring along and I have a lot of devices connected (about 22).Smiley Surprised

Regards to all,

Chris R.
Message 92 of 98
Highlighted
Novice

crodgers79 wrote:
I use a Netgear R6300 as my bridge and the R7000 as my main router and it works perfectly.. I get "AC" speeds between the two pretty consistently...

Same here and it's working great! The R6300 used to be my main router but have been using it bridge mode since the purchase of R7000.
Message 93 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

My problem is occasional (1x a day) router resets. It may actually be related to using the router's control software to see how long its been up...so the mere fact of checking causes a reset. I have not had any trouble with dropped bands since upgrading to this firmware (although the resets may be masking it), and downstream QOS seems to work well for me. I had no trouble connecting to my brother MFC printers with it on (as others have reported).

Since this is Netgear, while we were troubleshooting the wireless lockups with the last firmware, they got me to pay to rapid replace the hardware, even though it was obviously a firmware problem. Another $16 down the tubes.

Of course, inept technical support is not just a netgear problem. In the past couple of years I've tried linksys and asus as well. I'm starting to think they all outsource to the same Indian call center, and just swap around the support materials they use depending on the router company. I don't know this, but it explains why they all seem to be in a race to the bottom for technical support. It could largely be resolved if they had better communications with product engineering, so they knew what fixes were being worked on in the next firmware release, and when that release was gong to occur.
Message 94 of 98
Highlighted
Master

bradbort wrote:

Since this is Netgear, while we were troubleshooting the wireless lockups with the last firmware, they got me to pay to rapid replace the hardware, even though it was obviously a firmware problem. Another $16 down the tubes.

Seems to be a favorite trick they use? Got me too on a Media Server problem. I supplied them detailed info, screen shots, how to recreate, etc., and they 'claimed' they could not repeat it, must be a h/w problem. Paid to ship it back and of course, returned unit had the problem as well.

I had a hard time convincing them that it was the same result too. Problem was closed as 'they continued to research this and can't keep the report open if there is no activity for 30 days' and it was reported 2 flashes ago with no FIX...

Is there really anyone working problems they can not recreate (if the support people are actually using the same h/w?
Message 95 of 98
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I haven't used Linksys or Asus support but Netgear support is based in the Philippines.
Message 96 of 98
Highlighted

IrvSp wrote:
Is there really anyone working problems they can not recreate (if the support people are actually using the same h/w?

My support 'expert' admitted to me that they only have one (1) R7000 unit to test with. This makes testing an issue with the bridge mode, where you need two units, really tricky. If the problem takes 3+ days to happen, they have no chance to ever reproduce it, because the one unit is likely shared with all support.

They also tried to argue that it must be a hardware problem, but I had switched my two units and reproduced the same issue.

They are masters at trying to find reasons to argue that it is not a software/firmware issue.
Message 97 of 98
Highlighted
Aspirant

searay wrote:

searay, when we upgrade firmware can we backup our current settings and then restore them after we restore factory defaults or is that not advised?

Also when you say revert to factory defaults, is that just clicking the erase button on the administration>backup settings page or is there a better way to do it?
Message 98 of 98
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements