Re: NEW: R7000 FW Version 1.0.9.88

Aqualung1
Luminary

So far so good. Things work fine with 88 on my side. Still not enough to redeem Netgear though. Too late!

Message 26 of 101
Mazzy80
Initiate

This router has plenty of problems in last few fw and instead to work for fix it, you develop a cyber-threat protection that will do nothing only slow down router with useless service to get more money for general user that don't know anything about security, breaking up even more things. are  you going to scan a https connection running through the router ? or analize a file download and stop it before the user can save on pcs ? seriously ? what is it about that any common AV cannot already do ?

the price of your router is going up and up and up, the service and quality down, down, down.

You are becoming the McAfee of consumer routers, better not use at all, even free...

I feel pity for the people paying $4-500 for your top of line router !
you can buy Enterprise grade router for that money, you can buy yourself a x86 box and a simple SMB AP and install a software firewall/router that run circle around it.

I've a EX7000 extender that reboot every few hours with the last firmware, you know the problems but in almost 1 year no fixes.

This router was rock solid before, now you must run a old firmware or it locks or reboot or slow down as much that you need to reboot.

Some time ago netgear was a solid choice for home gear, not anymore...

with Wi-fi at all time records for deployment, you getting worse and worse with poor service, poor product, poor support...

better signup some big deal like OEM with internet provider, soon or later the consumer will fleet away...

I'm holding on my R7000 in AP mode, with a old firmware until the next wave of 11ax device hits in 2020 and move on for a enterprice grade AP and saving too and getting years of solid service.

Message 27 of 101
Aqualung1
Luminary

Well, looks like I misspoke. Died after 24 hrs. Slightly better than 64, but still garbage. Back to 42 for me.

Message 28 of 101
Phsteven
Initiate

This most recent update causes more issues than the one prior - as opposed to rebooting every week or so, now the network goes through a bout of failing to accept the correct password and connecting 2-3 times a day. I’m looking forward to rolling back to a more stable version as previous comments mentioned. This router was rock solid for several years, what happened?
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 29 of 101
Aqualung1
Luminary

@Phsteven wrote: This router was rock solid for several years, what happened?

There are several theories as to what may have happened. The prevailing(?) one is that Netgear outsourced FW development to a different company.

Message 30 of 101

Same with me. 88 has the same problems as 60 and 64 ... after a few hours of use (8 hours for me), the whole network just falls apart and devices drop off and can't reconnect, etc.

It's staggering how bad the new firmwares are, I honestly can't fathom how this stuff is released this way. I am actively searching for a new router to buy. This is 3 bad firmwares and counting, and who knows what security issues we're left open to with .42 at this point.

Message 31 of 101
schumaku
Guru

Agree with almost everything you wrote @Mazzy80  - that's the kind of environment I'm operating here at home 8-)

@Mazzy80 wrote:

This router has plenty of problems in last few fw and instead to work for fix it, you develop a cyber-threat protection that will do nothing only slow down router with useless service to get more money for general user that don't know anything about security, breaking up even more things. are  you going to scan a https connection running through the router ? or analize a file download and stop it before the user can save on pcs ? seriously ? what is it about that any common AV cannot already do ?

There are some points for this ... we can't install AV end point soutions on the washing mashine, the dryer, the dish washer, the thermostast, the security cameras, the gaming devices, the solar installation controller, and many more. And do't forget, the paid offering does include end point AV software (fair usage base).

Ref. the EX7000 - the new "Mesh" firmware released head over heels (and untested as it appears) some 10 months ago is not useable indeed. For some weeks, there is a EX7000 Beta community established and we find (at least on that product) some open ears with Netgear. If you fancy to join, get in touch with @Christian_R and @Mark-T  by PM.

Message 32 of 101
Thornado
Apprentice

@Spendor wrote:

updated to 88 last night and good and stable only for around 10 hours. then it won't get connected to any wifi device. I used it as AP. downgrade to version 42.

I see that many users experience this issue with all firmwares after 42 version.

My R7000 runs on the lastest .88 version and I don't see any of my devices get disconnected (Normally 5-8 devices connected, mix of 2.4G, 5G & cable).
Is this issue only affected on network with many devices connected or any other reasons?

/Thornado
Message 33 of 101
yddtime
Luminary

@Thornado wrote:

I see that many users experience this issue with all firmwares after 42 version.

My R7000 runs on the lastest .88 version and I don't see any of my devices get disconnected (Normally 5-8 devices connected, mix of 2.4G, 5G & cable).
Is this issue only affected on network with many devices connected or any other reasons?

I suspect the issue lies in the management of the attached devices. Your 5-8 devices isn't a lot. I'm also guessing that you don't bother to rename them. I have from 25 to 32 at any given time day or night of which 30 have reserved IP addresses. I've noticed all hell breaks loose when I either attach more devices, update the device names to be more descriptive or reserve IP addresses.

There may be a buffer overflow somewhere related to either the number of devices and/or strings holding the device names. The buffer overflow corrupts random parts of memory used by other things which manifests in a semingly random variety of symptoms.

I'm using an ASUS RT-AC86U now and it's been running fine for over 2 weeks with up to 35 devices (had guests at the house). Most of my device names are long like Living Room Lights and Upstairs Thermostat. I still have 30 reserved IP addresses. These are things that always caused my R7000 to choke and die.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 34 of 101
yddtime
Luminary

Further to the above, I'll bet that whoever is developing the firmware, be it NG or the Elbonian Software company, is not testing it with more than 5-10 devices attached and never bother to update the device names or reserve IP addresses.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 35 of 101
Aqualung1
Luminary

@yddtime wrote:

Further to the above, I'll bet that whoever is developing the firmware, be it NG or the Elbonian Software company, is not testing it with more than 5-10 devices attached and never bother to update the device names or reserve IP addresses.

Yep, I'm betting that all the latest FWs work fine with 5-10 connected devices.

Message 36 of 101
dalpihe
Tutor

Same issue for me wit 1.0.9.88; usually in the morning, no device can access wifi on router; each tme, I have to reboot the router to make it work. this is unacceptable for such an expensive router. Even with chinese routers, you don't have such issues. Another customer going to Asus.

Message 37 of 101
Wladue613
Guide

I rolled back to 42 and it's running better, but I'm still getting some drops (just on the 5ghz network). What was the last completely stable firmware release? I hadn't had an issue in a year until I made the stupid mistake of updating the thing.
Message 38 of 101
Wladue613
Guide

34 finally did it for me.

Reset router
Installed 34
Factory reset modem for good measure
Reset router
Changed network name and pw for good measure

Running like new. Thank god.
Message 39 of 101
timroynh
Initiate

Oddly enough I tried downgrading to .44, downloaded the nighthawk app, and let it do the upgrade and .88 has been smooth as butter since. Over a week and no drop offs of 2.4 or 5ghz and no need to reboot the router yet. I’m shocked and have no idea why it’s been better unless the nighthawk app sets settings in a certain way by default when updating.
Message 40 of 101
Miked2
Tutor

OK - So I tried to upgrade from .64 to .88 using the GUI.  Got as far as a blinking amber power light.  Rebooted router and it came up OK, at version .88.  Being uncomfortable, I manually installed the .88 update again and rebooted.

After this, my internet connection went down avery few minutes, until I re-booted, again and again.

Then, I did a reset (paper clip reset).  I have re-entered all settings manually and it has been good for about an hour.  I will update this if it dies again.

The moral of the story may be to NEVER use the web based/GUI interface for updates and always reset prior to and after updates.

This netgear product is a pain in the arss!

Message 41 of 101
DaWeav
Guide

And another 'UNHAPPY' upgrader. After about 4 days of working fine, all of a sudden nothing could connect to the 5Ghz band at all.

So, I've went back to R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 as well.

Oh well, Netgear obvioulsy really doesn't care since no moderator or anyone from Netgear is even responding to customer complaints on these R7000 firmware threads. Come on Netgear, all we do is update the firmware, we can't tweak it, we can't do anything, but these firmwares just are not at all STABLE! That is except for the R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 version.

Message 42 of 101
IrvSp
Master

DarrenM did respond in a SINGLE thread. I recall he said NG is looking at the issues and expects to have something I recall this coming week. Not sure what that meant.

I did ask him to post this into a STICKY so everyone knows and can later be updated with more info... he didn't do that.

Shame.

Message 43 of 101
Miked2
Tutor

Been running fine now for 3 days.  Another good suggestion seems to be to disconnect most devices prior to a reset, then enter any IP reservations, then reboot and connect each device.  This will force new dhcp reservations for each device and avoid any potential IP conflicts.  I had some IP conflicts that made the network go bonkers, until corrected.

@Miked2 wrote:

OK - So I tried to upgrade from .64 to .88 using the GUI.  Got as far as a blinking amber power light.  Rebooted router and it came up OK, at version .88.  Being uncomfortable, I manually installed the .88 update again and rebooted.

After this, my internet connection went down every few minutes, until I re-booted, again and again.

Then, I did a reset (paper clip reset).  I have re-entered all settings manually and it has been good for about an hour.  I will update this if it dies again.

The moral of the story may be to NEVER use the web based/GUI interface for updates and always reset prior to and after updates.

This netgear product is a pain in the arss!

Message 44 of 101
space1138
Aspirant

Betreff: NEW: R7000 FW Version 1.0.9.88

The firmware version V1.0.9.88 slows down my ethernet / wifi speed extremly.

When you restart the R7000 it seems to be fixed. For some secounds the ethernet / wifi speed seems to be ok, but slows down after a few secounds again.

A rollback to the firmware version V1.0.9.60 works for my. My ethernet / wifi speed is fine again.

This problem can be reprodued! Does the Netgear QA squad tested this firmware version V1.0.9.88?

Or will the firmware V1.0.9.88 be tested by Netgear customers? Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 101
Ripplinger
Aspirant

I've been scratching my head about my router mysteriously just dropping wifi ability only during the last 2 weeks.  Since we stream movies and TV shows to several TVs over wifi, it's starting to be a pain when I have to drop everything and fix it.  All wired devices still work, my PC is still connected to the internet and that works just fine, it's just the wifi that cuts out entirely for both 2.4 and 5 bands.  I'm not able to access the router setup pages through my browser when that happens, and once it does happen, it won't reconnect until I reboot the router.  I only have between 5-10 devices connected, and I couldn't figure out any pattern when it happens.  I've read that a few had luck disabling the Guest network and not allowing guests to see other devices, but I have never had the Guest network enabled ever.

I was digging around looking for a solution after last night's drop and discovered many were having issues with .88 firmware.  So today I downgraded back to 1.0.9.42 and hopefully that will fix the dropped wifi issues.  And I was thrilled to discover the DLNA media server feature worked again as well under the older firmware, the Media Server tab was back.

So I'll likely be staying at this firmware version a long time, at least until the wifi drops are fixed.  As far as missing DLNA, I put VLC on all my Android devices when I first noticed it was gone, it has a Local Network option that streams everything from my PCs perfectly, so at least there are other options to stream content.  And because of networking issues during gameplay (wired PC is unplayable when anyone is streaming content over wifi) and now these firmware issues, this will be my last Netgear router.

Edit:  I should add that the wifi doesn't constantly drop, it might only happen once a week in my case.  Last night's drop happened sometime after midnight, no one was streaming anything at that time, no devices were in use.  The most that might have happened is my Android phone might have connected to do app updates, which it does every night without issues.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 46 of 101
JRSC
Aspirant

Starting with this firmware release (V1.0.9.88), iTunesServer is no longer supported.  Not sure what this means in regards to the large library of iTunes songs on my Windows laptop, iPhone, and iPad.  Will this firmware release wipe them out?

Message 47 of 101

Hello,

I flashed the router to the latest firmware and it has been worked with no issues for three weeks.

For reference, I moved from .42 and reset the router to defaults before performing the flash.

We routinely have 12 devices with a mix of wired, both frequencires of wireless, and a guest network.

I expected to have issues because of my poor experience with various FW over the last 5 years since I purchased the router.

I had difficulties with .60 and .64 but so far, no issues with .88.

Message 48 of 101
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No, removal of support for iTunesServer just means that in prior releases, you could have all of your music and vidoe libraries on a USB HDD, connect to the router's USB port and router would act as iTunesServer for rest of the devices on the network. This does not wipe any content from the USB HDD, and certainly does nothing to the content on your PC/laptop. 

Abhay Bhorkar
Message 49 of 101
Tom54
Aspirant

Really? You had to disable TimeMachine?  One of the reasons I bought your router (just 4 months ago) was the ability to connect a hard drive and backup all my computers.  Please reinstate this capability in the next firmware release!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 50 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements