Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NEW R7000P Drops 2.4 Wi-Fi and LAN Streaming Stutters

w00x
Tutor

NEW R7000P Drops 2.4 Wi-Fi and LAN Streaming Stutters

Hello everyone,

Only 2 days after purchasing the router at what I thought was a bargain price - and here I am browsing the forums with not one, but two issues. This is made even worse by the fact that there are no custom firmware options for the R7000P. Just the R7000.

I see a lot of people experiencing the wi-fi stopping to give out IPs to devices, but all were with the R7000. None with the R7000P model.

Basically what happens is that the 2.4GHz devices are dropped all of a sudden. The 5GHz works fine. The 2.4 GHz can not receive an IP when trying to connect. Rebooting the device fixes it.

I use two separate networks with two different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz.

Any suggestion on how this can be remedied?

My other issue (which is the more annoying one) I could not find anyone experiencing.

I have a Media Box on my network, which is connected to the router with a cable. (100mbit)

I also have a Media Server (my desktop computer) also connected with a cable. (1Gbit)

When I try playing a file on the Media Box, the playback stutters a lot and it even takes around 15-20 second before playback starts. It's pretty obvious because it starts faster and stutters less with smaller files, which indicates an issue with the connection.

I have tested the connection between the server and the player while they are connected to the NetGear and it benchmarks at 80-90Mbit, which is plenty.

I also attached the server and player to my old router and they worked immediately. Everything was loading fast and running without any stutter/buffering.

I have tried resetting several times. I have tried testing the media box playback immediately after reset, without doing any configuration. Still the same.
I have also turned off Dynamic QoS. Not helping.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Next thing I plan on trying is changing the PC/Server to 100mbit as well and disabling all the firewall/flood/DDoS/Ping protections of the router.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
w00x
Tutor

Re: NEW R7000P Drops 2.4 Wi-Fi and LAN Streaming Stutters

I managed to resolve the SAMBA issue by altering the SAMBA settings. How the settings worked with one router and not with another one is beyond me but it's fixed. For now at least.

The issue remaining is the 2.4GHz band dropping. It happened once after the router was installed and running for an hour.

But there are plenty of topics regarding this out there and I don't want to create unnecessary spam, so I will use one of the other topics to troubleshoot this.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
w00x
Tutor

Forgot to mention that the media files are shared using SMB.

I just established that if the same files are played using UPnP (DLNA server), there is no stutter or lag and they play perfectly.
So the issue is related to a setting which interferes with the SMB shares from the Windows 10 server to the Android Media box.

Message 2 of 7

@w00x wrote:

Hello everyone,

Only 2 days after purchasing the router at what I thought was a bargain price - and here I am browsing the forums with not one, but two issues. This is made even worse by the fact that there are no custom firmware options for the R7000P. Just the R7000.

What does that mean? What are you trying to change?

What firmware version do you have on the R7000P?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 3 of 7
w00x
Tutor

The version number I currently have installed is 1.3.1.44.

What use are hotfixes that do not get pushed to the device anyway?

The reason I wanted to install a custom firmware is that the stock firmware is a pile of garbage. Paying this much money for a router that malfunctions 1 day after being installed because of a software fault is unacceptable.

Message 4 of 7

@w00x wrote:

The version number I currently have installed is 1.3.1.44.

What use are hotfixes that do not get pushed to the device anyway?

It is a part of the update process.

New firmware gets beta tests (sometimes, it seems, very limited). Then it goes into a process that takes further moves to check that it is fit for purpose. At this stage, Netgear sometimes posts it as a "Hotfix".

Then there are two further steps that can happen in no particular order. New firmware that has been through these hoops gets on to the list of official releases and then rolls out to the automated process. That means that it goes on to the update server and shows up in the browser interface. Sometimes, albeit rarely, it hits the update server before it joins the list of official releases.

Users can decide when to apply an update depending on their comfort level, how paranoid they are about security issues that may be theoretical rather than anything seen in the real world, and their desire to play around.

@w00x wrote:

The reason I wanted to install a custom firmware is that the stock firmware is a pile of garbage. Paying this much money for a router that malfunctions 1 day after being installed because of a software fault is unacceptable.

Not sure how that follows on from your first message. I don't follow most of it, or see how it relates to whatever problems you have, so I leave it to others to advise on custom firmware. As this is the official Netgear site you aren't going to get much response, beyond the usual suspects saying "Netgear writes crap firmware". The usual advice is to visit the site where they support whichever custom firmware that you plan to use. 

Message 5 of 7
w00x
Tutor

I think there must be some misunderstanding. I have not installed a custom firmware. I mentioned it simply because it adds to my bad firmware experience with this not-at-all-cheap device. If there was at least a customer firmware which I could use to fix my issues, I would not be upset, but since this is not the case, this router, with these issues is a rather expensive bookweight.

It goes without saying that if I had an issue with a custom firmware, I would not be writing here.

Message 6 of 7
w00x
Tutor

I managed to resolve the SAMBA issue by altering the SAMBA settings. How the settings worked with one router and not with another one is beyond me but it's fixed. For now at least.

The issue remaining is the 2.4GHz band dropping. It happened once after the router was installed and running for an hour.

But there are plenty of topics regarding this out there and I don't want to create unnecessary spam, so I will use one of the other topics to troubleshoot this.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7