• 13 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Community Manager

NEW: R8000P/R7900P FW Version 1.4.1.42

*Please note, this is an advanced notice of the upcoming FW for the R8000P & R7900P

NETGEAR continuously evaluates and develops new Wi-Fi router features, which we feel deliver greater customer value and experiences. In order to bring you new, highly requested features, such as smart parental controls, we need to end-of-life (EOL) the following legacy, often less-used, features: iTunesServer, Kwilt Photosharing, Time Machine Backup, TiVo support for media sharing, and Downloader feature (which was in beta).

NETGEAR highly recommends that you keep the auto-firmware update setting turned ON and ALWAYS update to the latest firmware in a timely manner to receive bug fixes, security updates, and access the latest router features unless you feel these EOL features are critical to your use of your router.

Although it’s not recommended, if you wish to continue using any of these specific features, please do NOT update to firmware version V1.4.1.42 or later for Nighthawk X6S (Models: R8000P and R7900P) and TURN OFF the auto-firmware update setting.  

Please see the following knowledge base article to learn how: https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update.

This release enables Smart Parental Control (Circle with Disney) and WAN-port aggregation (ability to aggregate two Ethernet ports for > 1 Gbps Internet).

Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: NEW: R8000P/R7900P FW Version 1.4.1.42

And what about the R7800 ???????   Been over six months ???????    Dustin....  

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 384.19_Alpha 2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 2 of 14
Highlighted
Initiate

I wish you would have kept the Time Machine Backup feature. It's an important function for Mac users. It was the reason I purchased this router. Now I can't upgrade my firmware for future security upgrades.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Another reason to not use a Netgear router as your NAS. Routers are meant to route and looks like Netgear has finally started figuring this out. 

My QNAP NAS supports Time Machine just fine. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 14
Highlighted
Guide

Just updated my R8000P to firmware V1.4.1.42 since a long time without any updates from Netgear and had some problems:

1. Attached device list is not showing devices

2. Dynamic QoS database is not showing its version and date

3. Very slow interface

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
Initiate

Hello I have enabled WAN Link Aggregation by using ports "Internet" and Port 4. Now my internet speed is half.  What did I do wrong?

Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi,

You need to make sure you actually have a modem that supports Multi-Gig Internet and Ethernet LAN aggregation feature. Please see KB article:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060393/How-do-I-set-up-Ethernet-port-aggregation-between-my-NETGEAR-Nighth... 

Abhay Bhorkar
Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
Guru

@Kiser4 wrote:

I wish you would have kept the Time Machine Backup feature. It's an important function for Mac users.

@AbhayB any word on this? Can't see any advantage for your engineering ref. essentail amount of code which can be removed - Bonjour/Avahi as well as AFP/Netatalk and SMB/SAMBA are retained. However, these must be kept up2date.

Message 8 of 14
Highlighted
Guru

@AbhayB wrote:

You need to make sure you actually have a modem that supports Multi-Gig Internet and Ethernet LAN aggregation feature. Please see KB article: ... 

Dear @AbhayB, Is there a common aggregation mode "standard" agreed between the makers of cable modems and routers? Asking because when we check Asus that they talk of dynamic 802.3ad/LACP for WAN port aggregation - while Netgear does not show any trace on the aggregation mode implemented - neither on the cable modems, nor on the routers supporting WAN aggregation. More than poor an non-professional documentation, poor KB entry, ...

Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
Master

@Eolas wrote:

Hello I have enabled WAN Link Aggregation by using ports "Internet" and Port 4. Now my internet speed is half.  What did I do wrong?

There is a warning toward the bottom of the article. Talks about how you can cause your setup to be slow. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051185/What-are-link-aggregation-and-LACP-and-how-can-I-use-them-in-my-net...

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi I have updated to the latest FW, but the output, LAN 4 still drops for several seconds, at a time, multiple times a day, up until recently, I had been very pleased with the router, not so now unfortunately! Any suggestions

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 14
Highlighted
Master

How have you ruled out that the issue is not the device plugged into port 4? 

Plugged device into another port and no issue? 

Plugged different device into port 4 and have the same dropping issue?

Have you swapped out the Ethernet cable? 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,  yes I have done all you have suggested, thnks for your input though

Message 13 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am also facing the same issue. The WAN aggregation (1 Gbps + 1 Gbps) Status: WAN aggregation is active."  enabled. It works great, but the speed drops to 15 Mbps to 20 Mbps sometime. I need to unplug the Port 4 and plug it again to resolve this issue without any modem/router restart. After that the internet speed is perfect. 

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 14