NEWBIE with Duel Band Networking

ValerieP66
Aspirant

NEWBIE with Duel Band Networking

:confused: Hi, I'm new to this whole duel band thing. Can someone take pity on me and explain to me how I access the 5G if I wish to? or is it automatic? Every once in a while I get a high traffic notification and so I think I'd like to move some of the people on the network to the 5G (myself so I can do my online college classes without interruption primarily). 😉

Are there any other tips and tricks that will make my using this product the best it could possibly be? I already had to figure out QoS for my son's Xbox Live, so I think I have done ok so far!

Thanks in Advance.
Message 1 of 4
VE6CGX
Master

Re: NEWBIE with Duel Band Networking

Hi,
You just handle the 5GHz radio same as 2.4 one as far as set up goes. To minimize confusion have different SSID between two. And any 5GHz capable devices can connect to 5GHz. 5GHz band is less crowded in most neighborhoods. If possible try to use high channel numbers like 149, 153, etc. Also
you can use 40MHz bandwidth on it.
Message 2 of 4
RogerSC
Virtuoso

You'll need to find out whose client devices support 5GHz. There are also range issues, the physical distance that you can get with 5GHz. is shorter than 2.4GHz. So some people may not be able to get enough bandwidth with 5GHz., if the places where they primarily use their clients are too far from the router or a wireless access point. You can always add a wireless access point if you can afford it and can wire it up, so there are solutions to the 5GHz. range issues.

But 5GHz. is better for streaming media if you are within range, and they'll enjoy it more if they can use it *smile*.
Message 3 of 4
ValerieP66
Aspirant

Great! I am guessing then that my problem is that my SSID's are the same? Although one says NETGEAR11 and the other should say NETGEAR11-5G The 5g one does not appear in my connection list on my devices. HMM>>> Thank you very much for your help so far! If you think of anything else do post... Like I said I'm sort of in a learning phase. I've been taking Mgmt.Info. Sys. classes, and have recently added Networking classes to the mix. So, I'm becoming more knowledgeable, but not experienced! I want to experience too!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E