Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NG R7000 AC1900 Slow DL Speeds Hardwired

OliOmega
Aspirant

NG R7000 AC1900 Slow DL Speeds Hardwired

Firmware:V1.0.11.110
QoS: Off

As I read, it looks like a lot of people are having this problem. Here is my story and I hope you all can help. I have Cox fiber 1G coming to the house but can not get it past the router except for one device. For the majority of my devices, I am getting 225-250 download. I have narrowed it down to the router and not the lines in the house.
Test 1:
I connected an Apple TV directly to the modem and was over 900. Then I connected it through the modem and received the same thing. Thought I was good and it was the wires in the walls

Test 2:
Pulled my original Xbox One out and tested it directly to the modem and got 853 DL/150 up. Connected it to the router (exactly the same as the Apple TV) and the speed dropped back down to 225DL/125 up.

I have read that older firmwares help but I’m not sure which one to try. I just bought this router in Aug if I need an older firmware, where do I download it and do I just upload it in the same spot I install the new firmware?

Thank you all!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

The usual recommended version is 1.0.9.42

Should you choose to install it, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection, factory reset afterwards, and do a clean install. (not from backup). Also ensure that you leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

but before we go there. What modem/gateway do you have? Some have in integrated router function that can cause double nat situations (and slowdowns)

Message 2 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have all those ‘extra features’ turned off. I don’t have a modem. I have a NOKIA ONT from Cox. I have 1.0.9.42 downloaded and installed earlier but saw no change but I did not click factory reset afterwards or a clean install (not sure what to do for that).
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Factory reset is key with the r7000 as well as clean install. By clean install, i just mean making sure not to use a backup configuration. 

the reason those 2 make a big difference is the r7000 uses CTF (cut through forwarding) to hit gigabit speeds. That service gets disabled with qos, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and access controls. And even disabled and the router reboot, i've read of instances of ctf not getting re-enabled without a full factory reset. Its why we recommend a reset. And if you use a backup configuration, it can go right back to ctf being disabled. 

Message 4 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

I just don’t understand why I plug in the Apple TV and I get 900+ Mb and then switch at pan cable to the Xbox and it drops to 225 ish
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

did you read the prior part about ctf? 

Message 6 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

Thank you for the help! Going to the old firmware and factory reset worked to get 700Mb to devices. Now to run some new CAT6 to the other devices that are running slow still.
Message 7 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

Well, today the wired and 5G connections are good but the 2.4GHz is only getting 1-10 Mb and fluctuates tremendously. Thoughts?
Message 8 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

Also, I can’t see any devices attached to my network on 2.4. It only shows the wired and 5.
Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

what firmware did you install?

Message 10 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

1.0.9.42_10.2.44
Message 11 of 14
Network_D
Tutor

As a person who just did a manual upgrade of their R7000 to the latest 1.0.11.110 firmware I am going to say your issue IS firmware related. Pick your poison:

1. This firmware: comes with all the latest security updates that Netgear offers for your device BUT it's buggy and will not allow max speeds
OR
2. Firmware 1.0.9.42: Opt for speed and reliability and roll back at the expense of Security. The firmware is over 2 years old!

Don't know if Netgear will ever fix the R7000 firmware performance issues 😞
Message 12 of 14
Network_D
Tutor

Quick update:
After reading @plemans update above (4th comment) I tried the following:

1. Hard reset the router
2. Manually updated the firmware (https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router)
3. Hard Reset the router AGAIN (right after flashing the router and booting up on the new firmware).
4. Configured my settings as I wanted them from scratch.

I haven't had opportunity to test everything yet but it does seem like Performance is at 1.0.9.42 levels using New Firmware!!!!
Message 13 of 14
OliOmega
Aspirant

What firmware #? I’m not at the house right now but I believe I have the latest firmware on the router and wired connections are throttle down to the 200s. That is with all the ‘extras’ turned off. Looking at buying a new router today to see if a different one works better. Just sucks to spend more money on a router that is less then 6 months old
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7