Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NG R7000 AC1900 Very slow Speed Tests

ajo999
Aspirant

NG R7000 AC1900 Very slow Speed Tests

Noticed something odd with the speeds.
I am getting below 10Mbps, both WiFi and wired.
Before it was showing 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps, and I got speeds at around 13Mbps on my old previous router. But now, its showing 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. Why?

My previous router which was Cisco WRVS4400 had around 13Mbps down...

Don't understand why I now getting Down speeds around 500Kbps to 3Mbps.

I don't notice and slowness when browsing the internet or viewing/streaming videos and I do notice a bit of improvement especially from my smartphones. Less Buffering or lets say, no Buffering at all. But according to Speed test why are my speed results so poor?

I even have WMM QOS enabled as well. Guest network disabled. Disabled UPnP, Remote WAN Management (for security reasons).

Again, when doing basic stuff like surfing the web, streaming videos, I DO NOT notice any slowness at all and no Buffering. So I do not understand.

At times, I even get download speeds of 1Mbps....

Thanks
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ajo999, Maybe your router MTU needs to be adjusted (common for DSL connections), this is done in the router admin page ‘Advanced’ – ‘Setup’ – ‘WAN Setup’. Here you can enter an MTU value, try a setting such as 1400 or 1492, there’s more information in the router manual page 36 onwards.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Go to the router admin pages and ‘Advanced Tab’ for ‘Router Status’, take a look at ‘Show Statistics’ and see what the Status is for each of the ports, ideally you want 1000/Full for each of the wired connections, if for example you see 100/Full for the WAN port then that’s the highest rate that you are going to achieve from your modem.
Message 2 of 12
ajo999
Aspirant

Here is my stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s
WAN 100M/Full 67970 74830 0 2488 26459

LAN1 1000M/Full (NO DATA SHOWING)...Blank...

My previous SOHO Cisco Business router showed max. of 13Mbps Down on Speed Test site. I don't understand why I am getting like 3Mbps on this router...

Please explain this.
Message 3 of 12
Rocket_Geek
Aspirant

When you are testing via a speed test site (I suggest speedtest.net or speakeasy's tester) are you testing via wired or wireless? Record numbers using both if available. If there is a wide difference (most likely wireless is slower) than investigate your network card drivers. Try turning off the power to all your networking equipment and testing PC. Leave it all off for 5 minutes, then start by turning on your equipment one at a time. Start with your Cable/DSL modem or what ever is provided by your ISP. Give it a few minutes to start up and stabilize. Work your way back to your PC, giving each device a few minutes. Have your results improved?
Message 4 of 12
rp1p
Aspirant

You say you have QoS enabled make sure you're not mixing up mb and kb on the input fields for up and down. In fact, disable QoS then run the speed tests. There should be no reason why you're seeing slower speeds than your older router.
Message 5 of 12
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ajo999, Maybe your router MTU needs to be adjusted (common for DSL connections), this is done in the router admin page ‘Advanced’ – ‘Setup’ – ‘WAN Setup’. Here you can enter an MTU value, try a setting such as 1400 or 1492, there’s more information in the router manual page 36 onwards.
Message 6 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Hi, I'd rather try with QOS disabled.
Message 7 of 12
walzce
Aspirant

I get 75 up & down on speakeasy with my FIOS.
Message 8 of 12
krayzie32
Aspirant

Since I've switched to the R7000, I've had issues with my wired throughput speeds. speedtest.net results have always been 50+, but my actual DL speeds have been less than 1MB. I did the below and now my DL speeds are 4-5MB.

-Uncheck Disable SIP ALG
-Uncheck Disable IGMP Proxying
-Auto detect ipv6

Hope this helps (I'm also on the newest firmware).
Message 9 of 12
Fitz11
Tutor

Did this help? I have recently been experiencing the same thing. I've bought 3 different 1900 class routers. 1 asus 68u and 2 r7000 nighthawks. Obviously returning 2 of them bc I thought something was wrong with them. I currently have had the 2nd r7000 for 3 days and have spent 1 hour on the phone with charter and 2 hours with netgear and still can't resolve the problem.

I have latest firmware for router and I'm on charter Cable ISP. I've powered down and tested from the modem back to pc. My test are as follows

Pc wired to modem: 64.53 down. 4.56 up
Pc wired to n300 wired to modem: 63.38 down 4.45
Pc wired to r7000 wired to mode.: 1mbps down timeout

This was the same for all 3 of these "smart routers" vs my 7 year old n300. Any suggestions I'd gladly like to hear. Frustrating
Message 10 of 12
Fitz11
Tutor

I've hard reset the thing more times than I care to admit , changed wireless channels to 11 and 157 respectively. Netgear tried changing the MTU to 1400. However their main solution is hard resets. Smh
Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How about trying the new beta firmware ver 1.0.5.62?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7